Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Re: Words Getting Hyperlinked Automatically?

Look what I found:  A blogger whose words were mysteriously getting hyperlinked to Neverblue ads.  He discovered a browser plug-in was causing this but, unfortunately, did not specify the name.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=60bf61ec401c30ef&hl=en

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

SiJ

I see he identifies the same outfit -- kvors

Hugh
Contributor
Rayj00

I heard of the same fix.  However, I could not confirm this.

While i was having this issue, I ran Combofix, Spybot, CCleaner and one other program that was suggeted here,  I forget the name.  Anyway,  I think the only program requireing a reboot was Combofix.  I know the problem was still there.  And I am not sure of the exact order I ran the tools in, but one of them must have fixed the problem because the next day the problem was gone.   I normally leave my PC on overnight but this time I powered off over night so perhaps one of the tools I ran actually fixed it but requiured a re-boot that I missed?

Ray

huwyngr

Ray,

At least for IE (one step at a time .... ) have you tried the RESET button on the Tools / Internet Options / Advanced TAB ?

That sets all IE options back to default from which, if that stops the hyperlinking,  you can re-enable add-ons one by one ....

Hugh
Contributor
Rayj00

Thanks Hugh,  but the problem is solved....how I dont' know.....see my previous post.

I did notice another weird thing.  it involved text being hyperlinked again. however, in my first case,  it was only a hyperlink.   After this problem went away, i noticed other links in green.   It turns out that these were being generated by a service called Text Enhance.  When I hoverd over these links you got some information and an opt out feature.   I don't know how this got incorporated onto my PC, but after opting out it's ok now...no hyperlinking.  I know that while I was trouble shooting my initial problem, I don't think I browsed to a site that could have installed this on my PC?

Weird...

Ray

huwyngr

Ray,

Glad to hear you are OK now.

On those weirdies like the text enhancement, one thing to watch out for -- and it's caught out a lot of us -- is that Java and Adobe Reader in particular delight in having a second screen when you go to download an uptdate after the one where you ask for them to update either and it is prechecked to OK the installment of stuff -- I see Chrome browser being pushed at the moment with a recent Java update and I think text enhancement is part of that.

Google toolbar is another that I've seen pushed in "under cover" like that.

We really have to hawk-eye everything that gets pushed at us these days ....

Hugh
Contributor
Rayj00

Yes I agree.   I think it's a very sneaky way to get you to install something you are not aware of.

Thanks,

Ray

Visitor
Delazuche

The problem is called "text enhancing" and I don't know where it's coming from.  I know Mozzilla has a fix for it.  I wish Norton would come up with something to block them.  My hyperlinked words link to www.textenhance.com  which says you can opt out, but it doesn't work.

Norton needs to find a fix and include it in an update.  It's as bad as a virus.

huwyngr

I don't believe it is anything to do with Norton -- it has been happening over on Compuserve to people not using Norton products and hosted by a different company to the forums here.

Most people with the problem there have been using Firefox and if they have a fix then that needs to be used to fix their product.

Hugh
DistEd2
Kudos: 412
Solutions: 81

[ Edited ]

Hi, Delazuche,

Interesting idea! I suspect these might fall into the category of "Potentially Unwanted Programs" (PUPs), which, like some of the toolbars and adware out there, most users find annoying but which at least have some arguable purpose. Antivirus programs will often steer clear of these, perhaps because their removal by such a program could be argued (and yes, I mean in court) to constitute "calling them a virus," potentially subjecting the antivirus vendor to a lawsuit when the PUP's own vendor was able to demonstrate some theoretical usefulness and no explicitly malicious function.

Antispyware programs, in contrast, will often remove these--perhaps reflecting that it would probably not be possible to convince a court that labeling them "spyware" or "adware" was anything but telling the truth. Unfortunately, since such removal generally involves real-time scanning, it is risky to load both an antivirus and an antispyware program on the same machine, as the two will often identify each other's activities to defeat the nasties as evidence of a nasty!