Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
andy_b_123

all sorts of problems with norton 360

Hi there, I'm not sure which version of n360 I have, it was downloaded last febuary.

Basically, I cant get it to open either through the desktop link or the toolbar tab. when i right click on the toolbar tab the options appear but when i click on them i just get the "checking for upgrades to one click support" spinning disc picture which never stops spinning.

I cannot uninstall n360, when i try to do this using the windows uninstaller nothing happens.

I can't install updated media drivers such as adobe flash.

google chrome stopped working totally at the same time i encountered the norton problems. i have uninstalled it. i cannot reinstall it.

if anyone can help please do. im already sick of having to browse using IE, i cant do so much as watch a simple video online. im also worried about how safe my laptop is.

thanks!

tpnj

Re: all sorts of problems with norton 360

I had the same issue, but running the Norton Uninstall Reinstall tool seemed to fix it.

You can get the tool from the n360 support pages

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 512

Hi andy_b_123,

Here's a link for the Remove and Reinstall Tool tpnj is referring to:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&do...

Please be sure to read the Before you Begin.

Let us onow how you make out!

Visitor
andy_b_123

ok, so it has uninstalled but then did not re-install. and i still cant download any drivers or google chrome. i get the feeling my issues are greater than just Norton.

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 512

Towards the bottom of the page I linked to above it states:  What if Norton Remove & Reinstall fails?

If your Norton product is not compatible with the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool, or if you receive any error when you run the tool, you can download and run the Norton Removal Tool. After you run the Norton Removal Tool and restart the computer, you will receive instructions on how to reinstall the latest version of your Norton product. For more information on how to download and run the tool, go to the Norton Removal Tool download page:

GO THERE NOW

Please download and run the Norton Remval Tool and follow the instructions for the install of N 360 and let us know how you get on.

Visitor
andy_b_123

ok, i tried that. i get this windows error message:

the application was unable to star correctly (0x0150004). Click OK to close the application

what can i do now?!

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

There is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article regarding troubleshooting Windows error messages that may be related to running services. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you are able to get 360 installed again, do a full system scan in Safe Mode.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
andy_b_123

i cant get anything to happen still. the selective startup hasn't changed anything, and now norton r&r is denying that i have a norton product on my computer (which of course i dont, because r&r uninstalled it yesterday)

i hate computers!

Super Spyware Scolder
RoloX2

[ Edited ]

andy_b_123 wrote:

i get the feeling my issues are greater than just Norton.

Definitely: issues with multiple unrelated apps.

Are there any errors/warnings in Windows Event Viewer?

How does it run in safe mode?

Run chkdsk /r on all of your partitions to ensure you don't have any file system/disk corruption.

Run memtest86+ to ensure memory isn't an issue.

Run a backup to prevent data loss if you haven't already; prepare for a full reinstall if it comes to that.

\\ZAPHOD: Win7x64pro; 4.2GHz Sandy Bridge; 8GB DDR3-2133; Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 2xGTX580 SLI; Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB RST cache); WD 2002FAEX; Seagate 2TB LP, 500GB 7200.10; Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W; APC RS1500; Antec 1200 | Beta box \\BEEBLEBROX: Win7x64ult; 3GHz Conroe; 4GB DDR2-900; Gigabyte P965-DQ6v3.3, GTX260; 5x250GB WD Blue 4xRAID0; Enermax Platimax 600w; APC RS1500; Antec 902
Visitor
andy_b_123

they sound like great ideas. how on earth do i do all that though?!