Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
wlopatin

backup error

While doing a daily backup, I have started to get an windows popup error message that says a delayed write occured and data was lost.  The Norton backup log says an error occurred but I cannot see what file is causing the error. How can I figure out what file is causing the problem?

The computer system log shows 2 issues.  This was actuallty about 48 hours after I manually started a brand new backup.  When I look at the backup via "Norton Backup Drive" it looks like OK but there are thousands of files.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    MRxSmb
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    50
Date:        1/31/2014
Time:        11:42:08 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    GRANDMA-XPS410
Description:
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Application Popup
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    26
Date:        1/31/2014
Time:        11:42:08 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    GRANDMA-XPS410
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \N360_BACKUP\{D787FEE2-54A4-4E50-B0D9-B6C151EAF1EA}\{3\166A01A-36DC-4F57-9F8E-B2E281EB14AC}. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Re: backup error

Hi wlopatin.

I do not know what is happening and if anyone else thinks they have any idea they should feel free to jump in.

In the meantime.... You say that this is a new backup set.  Is it to a new drive?  Is the drive a new one or one that you have used much before?

Have you successfully run N360 backups successfully to other sets previously, whether to the problem drive or elsewhere?

Can I suggest that you use the restore feature to look at the files in the new backup to try and get some idea whether most of the backup has succeeded or most has failed.  If most has succeeded then I would suggest you try running it again and seeing if you get a similar error, at least this time there should be far fewer files to trawl through (all being well).

I look forward to hearing back.

Good luck.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I assume your backup destination is over a network because of the Lanman error.

48 hours seem like a long time, your not doing this over wifi are you?

For best results you want to be using a wired LAN connection into a mapped destination.

Can you give us more information on how your doing this backup, the destination, connection, and how your connecting?

Dave

Contributor
wlopatin

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but for some reason I did not get an email notification that anyone responded.

This over a network and it is wired!  The pc computer I am using as a file server is running XPpro and the drive that is mapped is an external one via USB.  Still 48 hours seemed like a very long time for about 50GB.

This is a new backup set but on a drive which I did use before.  I did not delete the old set first so maybe that was part of the issue with it taking so long.  Now it seems to be running daily and I have not seen the error again so I am stumped and no easy way to tell what file caused the problem.  The backup set seems to be the right size so I am guessing that at least most of the files are backup up.

Just to be sure, I created a simple copy backup to a USB drive connected directly to this pc.  It took about 2 hours total and I then disconnected this drive.  So I know I have a good backup that is not connected to anything.  But I nne the daily backup to run automatically because this is my wife's computer and she just won't do it.

Thanks for the help and I'll check back in a couple of days.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

The error wasn't caused by a specific file, it was a network problem.  It got disconnected or it lost the connection somehow.

48 hours is an extreamly long time to try to transfer data in a continuous stream.

You may want to test your transfer speed over the network, maybe time how long it takes to move a 1GB file.

For a 100Mbps LAN it should take less than 2 minutes.

I can trasfer 1GB over a slow Wireless G (54Mbps) speed in about 6-8 minutes.

Even if your using an old 10Mbps LAN it should take less than 20 minutes.

Dave

Contributor
wlopatin

I am not sure what is going on but the error has not reappeared.  Either it was a temporary network issue or the file is no longer being backup up or the file was bad and somehow got fixed.  I changed nothing. It seems weird and I still have no way to tell what file to check.  Even if the problem was network related, I would like to check to see if that file is in the backup set.  Since I changed nothing, doesn't that point to something with the file changing and not the networkk?

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Hello again wlopatin.

Glad the issue seems to have gone away.  Under the circumstances (a temporary error) we may never know what happened but to me it looks like a temporary network error.  However I suspect that DaveH has a greater knowledge of these things than I do, so he may well have a different view.

Good luck for the future.