Welcome!

Welcome to the Norton Forums! Scan the threads for topics of interest or create your own. For fastest results, use our search feature to find related conversations. Symantec employees also post here when they can. So don't be shy -- join the discussions!

Please read our Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service before using the community.

Visitor
meaux680
Remote Access Hacking and Norton 360 Takes A Hit

After an aggravated cyberattack lasting 9 months which even went to the FBI,  remote access malware was something I became all too familiar with.  A black hat hacker residing in the UK  came after me with cyber guns a blazing over a previous relationship at different times with the same man years back.  So much happened, but I'll be global.  Both my MacBook Pro and IPhone 5 were involved.  She began with a root kit for a back door easy peasy.  Keylogging not for finance, but to read letters.  GMail and Apple passwords were cracked in less than 10 minutes-  She would take over mail and ICloud accounts and her nefarious merry mskers would use them for file and doc storage.  My IPhone became hers, and I was surfing UK Google while she ran her stocks and apps; padlocking the "private" stuff.  Using the MBP as a host for a Phishing Network, and nasty hacker toys like decompression bombs, etc... She hacked my Google web browser via gmail and got me suspended while she surfed cyberterrorism sites.

She bailed in June when I hired a pvt. investigator.  Now script kiddies do the work... It ended in December, but the past 72 hrs. began with Norton 360 alerting over an outbound IChat from my device to an IP in Ca.  Then, my super restricted Mac OS X.8 was crashing violently as we blocked the connection, and came 5 hits deflected by the firewall.  The Console logs showed aborted attempts to start BlueTooth, and directly disable 360 for internet access.  System Preferences showed app settings I disabled- now wide open, so the Admin login was hacked.  Personal files found all over, and pages to a blog.

360 was intermittently disabled, and is mentioned ongoing in crash logs.

Here's the deal.  These files and apps are not moving themselves.  A virus is unlikely, but a RAT is pretty intrusive.  And FYI, the video light just came on.  Those 9 months were a nightmare.  Being feisty, I would fight in real time to retain my accounts, and to the exclusion of all else.  There IS no perfect security suite.  Norton is putting up a good fight, but I will not just watch the MBP get taken over, and possibly get bounced from Facebook and Yelp again for being a security risk.  80 contacts were stolen, and it was too risky to contact friends.

My MacBook Pro was wiped 5 times.  Two IPhones and 6 phone numbers.  I refuse to go there again.  I closed up the MBP at 2:00 pm, and I am walking away.  Apple has like over 50 transcripts, and I have 4 notebooks filled with disabled passwords and ID's.  I can see this progressing already.  The first round cost over five grand.

Time to unload the computer and stop having to use a pseudonym on FB.  Taping little monitors is getting really old, too.  My geek will do a total wipe, and we can split the profit.  I ran it all of a month total.  Really sad and frustrating, but no worse than the way I felt when she broke my spirit (almost....).

Thanks for listening.  The attacker(s) can have my email accounts.  I run a non-internet flip phone in a fake name which I pay cash for just in case.  No more online banking.  The APP store gets paid with a gift card bought in cash.  I WILL be careful, but I won't pay people who question this reality that I live with.

See you on the tech boards, maybe.  And change your passwords!

Gayathri_R
Topics: 130
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 26
Norton 360 Online Backup ...help!

This post has been moved to 'Norton Online Backup' board for better exposure

Regular Contributor
Waller92
Accepted Solution
N360 Live Update after reinstall
Today I reinstalled N360 using Norton Removal Tool. When I first ran Live Update after the reinstall the last update counter was only at '1 day ago'. The latest virus definitions were already installed and thus were not pulled through by LU.

However, my previous two reinstalls (over a month ago) required me to install 200+mb of virus definitions and the update counter was at '20 days ago'.

Seems a bit strange. Other computers didn't have to install the virus definitions during their first live update either. I'm not particularly worried, more curious as to why it happened differently.
Visitor
jawyao
n360 icon at bottom bar disappear very often

n360 icon at bottom bar disappear very often. need NPE to get it re-appear.

it disappear unnoticeably. you may have the computer being unprotected during the unnoticeable period.

Visitor
Babar47
cannot access Norton or even uninstall N360

Hi, I cannot access Norton or even uninstall N360 in order to re-install it. (I use Windows 7). I bought the Norton AV back in No 2013.

Incidentally Internet Explorer does not work ("page cannot be displayed" whatever the page). Also noticed Babylon sends an error message (cannot uninstall either). I can only access Internet via FireFox.

Thanks or your help

B

Visitor
Horizon39
Accepted Solution
360 is not blocking malware.

I have 3 problems.

I keep getting addes from search snacks.

I keep getting fails crome up dates.

My tabs will get redirected. 

Nortons 360 sees nothink wong.  

Visitor
An0nym0us
Norton 360 21.3.0.12 will crash if to many files are selected for a scan
[ Edited ]

The subject says it all.. Latest norton 360 updated.. How many files is allowed to be scanned when you right click? by exemple if you scan the system32 (only files, no folder) on windows 7 SP1 X64 updated.. Norton 360 will crash and of course will close in the tray.. in my case 2975 files.. This could lead to an exploit on your software.. if you do it directly in the norton window it would just stay there and do nothing after..the scan will not start and said 0 files..(but 2975 files was selected and OK button after) This is just to let you know in case of a possible exploit that can occur because it can crash the norton completely for 10 seconds at least.. thanks

Visitor
jmwhitcomb
linkey?

Apparently Norton does nothing to protect against, identify or remove the Linkey virus and hijacking of browsers?

jjgames
Accepted Solution
Setting up Back up

I purchased Norton 360 through E-Bay. When I try to run a scan it tells me I have to set up my back up. I tried but the person that sold me the package has their E-Mail address on the sign in page. I can't enter my own e-mail . What can I do to get into the setup?

Gayathri_R
Topics: 130
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 26
Need to reinstall Norton Internet Security on my original device

This post has been moved to 'Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus' board for better exposure

Visitor
Tambill
Norton 360 crashes wn7 64bit- can revert to older version as solution?

I am experiencing the same issue that another few user experienced...Norton 360  the newest version (downloaded today) crashed my HP win 7 64bit laptop.  I have used older version of 360 for the past year but after updating from auto update today the blue screen with notification below.  I uninstalled & using the add/ remove tool reinstalled from Norton website..same problem.  I remove norton by doing system restore and problem solved.  I ran windows update and reinstalled but crashed blue screen again.  I have attached the diagnostic windows description & pic of blue screen if that would be helpful.  I saw another post from February where customer using HP laptop reverted to an older version of 360 to solve the problem.  This is the only post that was resolved. How do I obtain older version of 360?

My laptop product name: HP Pavilion

below is text from another post...this is the same  error/ problem but they are using a Sony and no Solution is posted

After installation of the Norton 360, my laptop system crashed and showed the blue screen with a message: 

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

After forced reboot, it always crashes after 5 to 10 minutes.

When I uninstall the Norton 360, my computer works perfectly.

What should I do next? Shoul I

ask for a refund

or Revert to older version

or if this is occurring only with 360...change to solely antivirus or alt norton product?

Like other customers I've wasted a lot of time due to this problem and am now unprotected (resorting to my ipad for internet commerce).

shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8
Quarantined items in history
Regular Contributor
Waller92
Norton 360 Monthly Report

My monthly report came up before while I was using Norton 360. According to the report Norton blocked 3 Network Threats. Clicking on it sends me to the Security History page but shows nothing related to 'Network Threats'. I've tried looking on Firewall-Network and Connections history but that only shows information from today and that's it. (so offers no insight). 

What could these Network Threats be? My router is secured by a password and Norton Firewall is enabled. Is this anything serious?

pjr
Visitor
pjr
I have been doing my N360 backups on an external 1tb hard drive It is now full .What now ?pl?

Hi ,I,been doing all my N360 backups on a Seagate External Hard Drive . It is now full , I have terminal Ovarian Cancer and need fairly simple ideas or a program to either delete unneeded files /folders or do I try to compress them . I'm not really well enough to figure this out ? Also does my Norton 360 have a program that sorts out duplicate programs I may have downloaded please ? I will be renewing shortly but would like help to sort this out please

shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8
NIS not allowing me to scan. It keeps taking me a download screen
Visitor
wuston063
Accepted Solution
N360 settings window greyed out

N360 v21.3.0.17 on Windows 7 Home Premium. In settings window detailed settings except Identity Protection and Quick Controls except silent mode greyed out and not selectable in user accounts.  OK in administrator account. Norton Tech suggested problem was with MS Windows settings. Dose anyone know what settings these are?

Contributor
Cauchy
Settings not restored after reinstall of Norton 360

Today I unisnstalled Norton 360 version 21. I chose the option "I plan to reinstall a Norton product. Please leave my settings behind." The uninstall completed and I rebooted the PC as recommended. I then immediately reinstalled from CD.

None of the settings have been retained. the worst is that I have lost my Identity Safe (NPM) values and my Manage Backup settings.

I used the on-line chat facility but he couldn't help and recommended dialling the help desk. I spoke to one person there who wasn't able to help. He put me on to his supervisor, who also couldn't help.

Is there any way to recover the configuration as it was before the uninstall?

nnashville
I have N360 Backups on External Hard Drives. One BU using 1.6 TB. How do I restore files?

I have N360 Backups on External Hard Drives.  One N360 BU is using 1.6 TB.   I see the ARestore Application (Norton).  I have used that Application but only 153 GB restore.    How do I restore the remaining?   They are not Compressed, Zipped...but the file names are just a buch of letters & numbers I cannot open.  HELP

Visitor
jbiddle21
Can't Delete N360_BACKUP files via Windows Explorer
[ Edited ]

Hello:

I am unable to delete the N360_BACKUP folder and all its contents via Windows Explorer.

I attempted disabling backup, backup status overlays, and Norton Tamper Protection prior to deleting and still, get the following error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

There is only one user profile on the computer, which I am using; it is the computer administrator.

I'm using the Norton Security Suite that comes with Comcast.

I attempted to delete backup sets in the Norton program itself, but it deletes files at an impossible to tolerate slow rate.  It deleted maybe 40 files in an hour and there's over 300,000.  Plus, when I did that for a test backup with only 40 files, it still left the folder with one file called "backup" which wasn't deleted.

I'm extremely frustrated with this situation as I need the hard drive space.

Visitor
Gamezdude
Replace 1 single file from backup.

I need to replace 1 single file, ive backed up the PC over a week ago in my external drive. Ive searthed the drive for the file i want, cant find it, looked in norton 360 replace files, still cant find it.

It HAS been backed up! Im 110% certain!

Visitor
stevenx37
Norton Security Suite won't open UI.

I have the Norton Security Suite from Comcast. The icon for the product is shown in the taskbar, but with a red/orange exclamation mark. And the ccsvcht.exe is missing from the processes list and I know that has something to do with the UI. However, I've reinstalled the product many times with no luck. Is there a way to download a ccsvcht file separately so it works?

Regular Visitor
anaglezc
Accepted Solution
Norton Error 8504, 104

My laptop cannot access the internet. Not a router problem and according to provider not related to their service. I tried clicking on norton to see if it was working and gor an error 8504, 104. I have not idea if this issue with access to the internet is related to an issue with norton sice it happened after automatic windows updates and some were related to malicious softaware etc. Since I have no access to the internet I cannot downloas Norton Eraser or any other tool. I cannot even open norton I just get the error in a blank dialog. Any recommendation regarding this error? Thanks.

ellenoregon
What does error message 8701, 1770 indicate?

I had problems opening Windows saying it had closed abnormally the last time I shut down. I finally got it to reboot and now an error message 8701, 1770 is appearing. Does anyone know what the issue is? I have Windows Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, Service Pack 1. I have checked everything on my Norton 360 and it look fine. Ran Windows trouble shooters and I there was a message saying that corrupt files had been detected. What do I need to do to resolve this?

frank2236
does any norton product get rid of adchoices? I have Norton 360 which does not seem to handle it

would really like to remove adchoices but cannot locate any norton product that removes it

This is why I have used Peter Norton's products since he had that little office on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Moncia

Surely you have a product that can remove it

I am currently using Norton 360

Frank

gregkeep
After Microsoft update (assume IE updated as well) can not access internet with 360 firewall on.

This is about third time this year that auto updated Microsoft (Windows 7). Assume IE updated as well (currently 11.0.9). After computer restart. IE would not access Internet (however Live Mail functioned normally). Turned off 360 firewall and could access Internet normally. Last ime I noticed there was a new update issued for IE from Microsoft (from version xx. to xx.2) almost immediately and probelm was fixed. Is there an incompatibilty between Norton 360 and Microsoft IE??

Contributor
SyberiaWinx
What the heck is going on with my product?
[ Edited ]

For the past few months, I keep getting a message about Symantec encountering a problem and needing to close.  But then, Norton opens fine.  Norton has been buggy these few months, though, including not alerting me when things are wrong with it.  Though I've set it so that the Norton icon should always appear on the taskbar, it will often disappear.  When this happens, I open Norton to get it back and make sure everything is fine.  But somtimes, there's a lot of red and x's, along with a message telling me it has expired, even though the thing says there are over a hundred days left.  It will usually fix itself doing that error thing it does, but that sometimes requires me to restart, and it keeps happening!  Anyone know what is going on?  It keeps reinstalling itself during most of these fixes, but that doesn't seem to fix anything for long.

It's inconsistent, too.  Today, it told me I had to restart to fix it, but I put it off to finish something.  Then, suddenly, it's all fine again, and then a little later, it's not.  And throughout all of this, the icon has that little green check that is supposed to mean everything is fine.

Regular Contributor
Waller92
Accepted Solution
Quick scan results.
I ran an idle quick scan after updating to the latest virus definitions. I do this every time (normally at least twice). Normally, it scans around 9,000 files. However, for some reason it only scanned 5,000 files. I've went through my history and this is the first time this happened since I reinstalled Norton a month ago.

I am aware that scans often skip files, but since it's never happened before, I am a little concerned.

Norton 360 V.21.3.0.12
Visitor
bdholmes
Web Attack: Facebook Fake Like Count Scam

I have been getting NUMEROUS alerts from my Norton 360 about this for approximately 2 weeks.  Has anyone else been seeing this? 

I use Mozilla Firefox ver. 30.0 as my browser.  My Norton 360 is ver. 21.3.0.12

Brian

===========

Category: Intrusion Prevention
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description

6/11/2014 6:53:43 AM,High,An intrusion attempt by 108.162.199.144 was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Facebook Fake Like Count Scam,No Action Required,No Action Required,"108.162.199.144, 80",uf2f.com/?io,"LAPTOP (192.168.1.103, 49316)",108.162.199.144,"TCP, www-http"

Network traffic from <b>uf2f.com/?io</b> matches the signature of a known attack.  The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME2\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE.  

To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the <b>Actions</b> panel, click <b>Stop Notifying Me</b>.

rjr
Contributor
rjr
Accepted Solution
A monitor ... was detected for OneDrive Sync Engine

This message appears sporadically in lower right corner of screen and then slides back out of sight. I don't use OneDrive. I would like to suppress this annoying notification/warning/alert....

Regular Contributor
Waller92
Norton Community Watch task

Over the last couple of days whenever I've tried to run the Norton Community Watch task manually via Norton Tasks page, it seems to get stuck in running mode. Normally it doesn't take longer than 7/8 minutes. It's happened twice and the task was still running after 20 minutes. I've tried stopping it but then it seems to get stuck on that too. After restarting my computer the task is no longer running and works fine for a while.

I'm not sure if this can be caused by server issues or it's a problem with my Norton 360 program. 

Norton V.21.3.0.12

Windows 7 (64-bit)