Welcome!

Welcome to the Norton Forums! Scan the threads for topics of interest or create your own. For fastest results, use our search feature to find related conversations. Symantec employees also post here when they can. So don't be shy -- join the discussions!

Please read our Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service before using the community.

Visitor
edtourj
two version of norton 360 running after norton patch up date

just recieved an update patch from norton thru live update  for norton 360

after downloading, window 8.1 is giving a message that multiple versions of norton 360  our running i check the system and there is two fire walls of 360 that our running two version norton 360 running.

nix377
Adware - Norton does not warn of downloading

Several months ago I contacted Norton Support to remove unwanted Ads that were showing up on my browser (Internet Explorer) and I was asked to uninstall a program called Media Player, which I did and it solved the problem (Thanks much).  About a month later the same ads showed up again and I checked programs and found one called Media View, which I also removed solving the problem.  Again today, a new program showed up called Media Watch and again I removed it solving the problem.  Since the ads showed up on my computer before I visited any websites, it occurred to me that there might be something in my computer that keeps calling up these Adware programs, in checking Performance on my Norton software, I see that this program was downloaded this morning, however, I received no warning asking me if I wanted this program to make changes to my computer.  My question is: 1) why didn't Norton warn me this program was downloaded? and 2) is uninstalling the unwanted program leaving something in my computer that keeps downloading these programs and if so, how can I get rid of it once and for all?

Visitor
mike2003
Carbonite

My computer suddenly quit communicating with Carbonite and my files are not backing up.  Carbonite went through a diagnostic and said that they thought it was Norton or my modem.  All other internet connections work fine.  I've read posts about configuring Norton to accept Carbonite but I'm not very tech savy and I don't understand how to do this configuration.  Does someone have instructions or futher suggestions??

Contributor
gwalks
Accepted Solution
Norton 360 won't install, no messages, just sits there!

I'm trying to install Norton 360 via CD to a new Windows 8.1 laptop. When I insert the CD and click 'Launch Norton Install', nothing happens. No messages whatsever. I installed it ok on 2 other computers -- a Windows XP and a Windows 7 system. The N360 is for 'up to 3 PCs' and expires in June 2014. Any idea why it won't install on my new system?

Visitor
NathanielA
Firewall "Program Rules" - Difference between Allow, Block, etc.

I know this must sound like a typical newbie question... but I have put in these words both in the internal Help search inside Norton 360 as well as their website... and I can find no concise comparison of what actually is blocked, vs. allowed, etc. with these settings. Can some kind sould please tell me where to look. I couldn't find it inside 360 (sorry to repeat this, but I found it astounding how unhelpful Norton's 360 internal help was...).  Actually, as I reflect on it, it's even worse. Apparently there's no "internal" help system... it just ports you over to the internet.  Suppose someone was "out in the wild" or anywhere else that had no wi-fi, or, egads they didn't have wi-fi capabilities, then how would they get help if they pressed F1 on their computer, inside 360?  Just wondering.

Anyone who can point me towards where Norton seems to have this information inside their convoluted help system would be greatly appreciated.

Nathaniel

Visitor
beargfr
N360 not scanning folders in "My Network Places" on scheduled custom scan.

I have a custom scan set up to scan  four(4) very large folders in "My Network Folders" that map to drives on a remote Windows machine.  The scan starts on schedule, but runs in zero time, and scans zero items.  There are no errors reported, just the "zero" results in both the summary and "detail" scan results. (See attached screen capture).

Administrator
Sunil_GA
Norton Identity Safe problems: Google Chrome & Internet Explorer

This post has been moved to "Norton Toolbar / Norton Identity Safe" board for better exposure.

Visitor
Davion2001
N360.exe thread running at 100%
[ Edited ]

I am running Norton 360 Premier on a Dell M6700 Precision Mobile Workstation with 32GB RAM and a 2.9GHz i7-3920XM cpu with hyper threading enabled.  I've used Norton 360 on several systems for years with no problems.  However, recently N360.exe began consuming 12.5% of all CPU resources.  On a quad core system with hyper threading, that is equivalent to having a single thread running at 100%.  It is not doing a file system scan.  I've tracked it with SysInternals Process Monitor and Process Hacker.  N360.exe is writing to the log files under ProgramData\Norton.  It appears that there is a single thread running in N360.exe that is running at 100% of a single cpu (12.5% on my system).  I've attached a text file containing the stack of the problem thread, the list of memory sections for N360.exe, and the list of modules loaded into N360.exe. I've also attached a .PDF with screen captures showing the problem.

[Edit: Removed image attachment containing personal email address]

Visitor
gagado
Using Norton 360 on HP Vista 64 bit laptop. I have installed 360 for 3 years and never get toolbar.

I have installed Norton 360 for at least 10 years. On HP laptop Vista 64bit the toolbar has never installed. This time it also will not install on desktop HP 7, 64 bit. Each get very little use and I do not "tinker" with them. I always have them downloaded, no CD.  Is it me or it ? Thank you in advance.

AudiA1
Topics: 38
Kudos: 30
Solutions: 6
Accepted Solution
Download insight.
Hi Guys
I recently got out of the habit of looking in the history and I just thought I'd double check something in the history today and I found this it says...
Download insight dectected launch of windows kb890830-x64-v5.10-delta.exe it is listed as info with the blue dot and when you click it, it says it was realised 12 days ago and hundreds of thousands of users have it. I remember doing some windows updates one day last week but can't put my finger on what date! Is this anything to be concerned with?
Windows 8.0 Norton 360 Version 21.1.1.7

P.S I might have to make some punishments for myself to stop myself looking in this history!

Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Visitor
Matiu-Pawarenga
Deleting N360 Backup Folder (files: DiscID.dat & backup.@db) from your Local Drive.
[ Edited ]
  1. Reboot the PC in safe mode
  2. Navigate to the folder and right click each file to open 'Properties'
  3. In Properties open the 'Security' tab at the top and change security option to "FULL CONTROL", apply and ok
  4. Now delete those files and Reboot back to normal window, where you can delete the whole folder (N360_BackUp)

XP Window System.

Regular Contributor
ffwfire
Moved from Avira to Norton
[ Edited ]

because some little problem after Comcast upgraded the modem I had trouble downloading games from a site.  The real reason I am concerned is Norton is doing really bad on Av comparatives.  Why are you doing so bad and is your score against viruses going to be any better?

I am using Comcast's Norton 360 (Norton Security Suite).  Thank you.

Michelle

JEO
JEO
Online Backup Maintenance
[ Edited ]

Am I the only Norton 360 user who finds a 24-hour backup maintenance delay unacceptable?  I have faithfully resubscribed to Norton 360 each year since they started offering on-line backup, but never needed to restore anything until today when I accidentally deleted my Documents library.  I thought it would be in the recycle bin, but there was no sign of it.  I started the "restore" function on Norton 360 and got a message saying I couldn't restore because my on-line account was undergoing maintenance.  The woman I spoke with at tech support put me on hold several times and then told me someone would call me back in 24 hours.

The whole reason I have automatic on-line backup is for a situation like this.  I previously used Mozy, but I thought it would be better to simplify things by consolidating things with Norton.  Little did i know there would be on-line maintenance that brings my work to a screeching halt..........and for 24 hours!  I can't do any work until they finish their maintenance.  From reading the support blog, this has happened in the past.

I'm going shopping for an alternative backup service that I can depend on when there is an emergency!  Any recommendations?

DHuffaker
Pop-up window problem

There is a secure pop-up window on Sharebuilder's website that asks for five security questions. You can select the security question and give an answer. However, when you say add this question to my profile, nothing happens. Is there anything in Norton 360 that would cause this to happen? Or, is there anything in Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium that would cause this? I am stumped.

Visitor
Pooka
Accepted Solution
AdwCleaner Is Classed As Bad By Norton

Hello,

I have regularly used this program but my Norton 360 has recently warned me not to download or use it when I attempt an update. I use the site Bleeping Computer to download the updates. To all intents and purposes the program and the site seem to have solid credentials and very positive reviews. Can anyone say if Norton is wrong classing this program as bad? I quite like the program and it has removed unwanted stuff from pc in the past and I would find it a shame if I can't use it anymore.

Thanks,

Greg.

csd50854
norton 360

is there a difference between 360 for internet explore and firefox. i use both programs and want to keep my norton protection

LarryWoller
Accessing Norton after upgrading to Windows 7

Hello,

I will be upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the very near future.. I currently have Norton through Comcast.. my question is " when I upgrade to 7, will I still be able to access my Norton account or will that change and have to set up a new one?.. ".. I have my system backed up with Norton ( I also have files backed up on a 32GB flash drive) at this time and possibly need to access any files that has been backed up...

Would appreciate any input as  I will be upgrading soon...

Thanks in advance.....

Larry Woller
“If there is any kindness I can show, or any good I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again”  William Penn
Retired, Independent...
Veteran, SGT, USMC (Vietnam, in country 1965-66, 12th Marine Regiment).
COOP/SWOP Observer (since 2001 to present), NWS, ILX, NOAA, Dept of Commerce.
Member National Preparedness Coalition (Dept of Homeland Security/FEMA).
Member (since 2005 to present) BOINC Project (University of Berkeley, Calif.); Princess Margaret Cancer Center/World Community Grid, SIMAP ( Biology, Universities  of Munich and Vienna)/ POEM@Home (Biology and Medicine, University of Karlsruhe, Germany/protein research), Docking (Scripps Institute/University of Delaware)

frenchrl
Accepted Solution
smart firewall blocking printer...

I have a printer on a home network windows 7 box. When trying to print from another computer to it, I get "RPC server unavailable". Now, If I turn Nortons smart filtering off, on the remote PC, I can print to it just fine.

I can't figure out the settings to fix this, other than disabeling the smart filter every time I want to print.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Super Contributor
notusedupyet
Accepted Solution
Two part update for N360 ver 21.2

How does one know that thay have received "both" parts of the version 21.2? I know I have the Engine part.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
-Albert Einstein-
shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8
Vault Randomly Closing

Moved to Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe Board for better exposure.

jazzman13
Accepted Solution
UTorrent videos

Am I likely to have problems downloading/viewing videos from UTorrent with Norton?  I have been with Kaspersky for virus protection, but they would not allow me to download or view videos, etc. from Kaspersky.

SAM52
Why would Hit man Pro want to upload Norton installer.exe and download.exe ?

Can any body enlighten me as to why or if its OK to allow my secondary scanner Hit Man pro to upload Norton installer and download application files?

Visitor
RonSt
Accepted Solution
Internet Explorer browser hacked by atieclxx.exe but won't let me delete it. Deep scan didn't help.

Using IE release 12 I keep getting routed to different sites when trying to navigate any site.  I think the culpret is "atieclxx.exe" but it won't let me end it from "Task Manager, processes", I get "access is denied".  It doesn't appear in the programs listing so I can't delete it there.

I did a deep scan with Norton 360 premium but that didn't identify it as anything - trusted, untrusted, etc.  Will try Power Eraser" today and see if that catches it.  Otherwise... how can I remove this program??  (Firefox has not been affected.)

shannons
Norton 360 and use on Kindle
man630
Restored Itune songs won't transfer back to my Itune song list/folder

Some Itune songs were deleted from my daughters Itunes  song list/folder by mistake. Computer was backed up with Cd's. I tried restoring the files/songs with the N360 back-up restore. I found all the songs but I can't get them transferred back to the Itunes folder. I used the custom setting on N360 and sent the restored songs to Itunes (didn't transfer) and Itunes Media ( didn't transfer) N360 Chat room  told me to turn off the firewall and antivirus, this didn't work. Any guidance appreciated.

Visitor
keiwah18
I think Norton 360 on the market for long time. Why these tech people think a better way to reinstal

I am a loyal Norton customer.

The "lost Norton toolbar happen very often". Why Norton tech people think a better way to make your customer easy to reinstall th toolbar. I try to void unistall and reinstall the norton softwear, inorder to get toolbar back.

shannons
Identity Safe Backup

Moved to Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe Board for better exposure.

Visitor
ridgerunner
Accepted Solution
Live Update of 21.2.0.38 Norton 360 completed. Restored to earlier time. No Live update again.

The Live Update of 21.2.0.38 Norton 360 completed in my PC. I had to restore my PC to an earlier time. Now Live Update does not download 21.2.0.38 version.

Regular Visitor
yami_aherwar
Using Norton 360 crashes my laptop
[ Edited ]

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bits. Recently I installed Norton 360 and after using disk optimization my laptop kept crashing and even on using any of the options from the Norton.

I formatted my laptop and again reinstalled. It worked fine for 1-2 days and then again my laptop crashed and shows me blue screen every now and then even if I don't start and program and keep it idle with even opening Norton and even when I tried to open Norton it didn't open. 

So used NPE (Norton power eraser), it displayed that my laptop had old version of java so I uninstalled the old java and installed the latest version. After this Norton ran on my laptop but again when I used disk optimization and backup on my laptop crashed and showed a blue screen. i have not used any other option because of crashing problem.

Please tell me what to do?

Visitor
dennphill
Like dkrit, I, too, want to get rid of AdChoices. Answers like from Master 'Super Trojan...

...Terminator' dickevans don't help because just giving a listing of addtional AV programs just doesn't answer the question.

I'd gladly PAY to not have AdChoices keep appearing.  I, too, have a many (MANY!!!) year relationship with Peter Norton and now Symantec, and my Norton 360 is again about to expire next month.  It doesn't seem like it's rocket science for the experts that are behind Norton 360 to offer us an option to termanate AdChoices (and similar pop-ups (and pop-unders?)) from roosting on our PCs.

I have done the drills repeatedly with opting out of AdChoices, then going into programs and uninstalling and even registry actions to get rid of AdChoices, but let me order something from Amazon - or just view a ceiling light on build.com, for example - and 'poof', I am again continuously seeing AdChoices on nearly every browser screen with the light or the Amazon product.

ANY HELP?