Welcome!

Welcome to the Norton Forums! Scan the threads for topics of interest or create your own. For fastest results, use our search feature to find related conversations. Symantec employees also post here when they can. So don't be shy -- join the discussions!

Please read our Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service before using the community.

Visitor
Laracroft
i dont have norton backup drive

hi all

ive installed norton 360 several times and every time ive had norton backup drive in mycomputer but now i just installed norton 360 and i dont have any thing like norton backup drive

what should i do?

please respond

Regular Contributor
ACS4500
File created itself on laptop

Hey,

So recently I was going through my external hard drive files on my laptop and I found that a folder had somehow created itself among my other files. It was an empty folder that apparently created itself yesterday morning even though my laptop was not connected to the internet.

I ran a custom Norton 360 scan on my external drive and then on the individual folder. Everything returned clean. Another thing I noticed was that it said in order to delete the folder I needed administrative permission. I am the only one to use my laptop so why would it say this? Would anybody have any suggestions or input on what that could be?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you

gwcsiu
High CPU usage while running IE 10 on Windows 8

While using IE 10 on Windows 8, it always generate a "High CPU" from Norton 360.  I checked with the task manager and found that Norton framework and IE were using 90 something percentage of the CPU time. 

Moreover, while closing a tab page on IE 10, it hangs and I need to kill the task through the Task Manager. 

Can anyone advise the reason and the resolution?  CPU is 2% while browsing use Chrome.

Visitor
Coach4Miracles
How to Block Fake "Software Is Out of Date" Alerts?

They show up when computer boots up--saying programs like Skype or Firefox are out-of-date, when they are not?

They come from Belgian company "Trusted Software APS," which, ironically, makes computer security software.

Thanks,

Don (AKA Coach4Miracles)

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">//

<div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> //

</script>

<div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> //

</script>

</script>

</script>

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>
Contributor
wagygirl
Is it still possbile to buy N360 without using an online vault?

I REALLY dislike the online vault, it has always required me to change my password daily. I keep my Norton password protected, so I don't see the difference. I keep my passwords & cards backed up to my computer via DAT file.

I much rather being able to see and edit my logins on my computer.

I am interested in switching from NIS 2012 back to 360, but do NOT want to use the vault. The reason I switched to NIS was because 360 kept crashing. I'm sure that it has been fixed by now.

Is there a way to buy a new subscription of an older version?

Any help would be appreciated. The sale ends today.

360 - $89.99 down to $53.99!!!

Accepted Solution
You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources.

Hello. This morning, I noticed some unusual activity on security history. Shortly after the computer was started up, there were multiple entries of "You allowed Host Process for Windows Services to access your network resources." as well as "You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources." I tried to restart it and see if the same thing would happen and it didn't, except for the "You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources." entries. Here's the two entries.

Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local Computer,Traffic Description
9/10/2013 7:41:43 AM,Info,You allowed Windows Start-Up Application to access your network resources.,Allowed,No Action Required,Windows Start-Up Application,C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe,No Action Required,Allow,"0.0.0.0, 49152","Inbound TCP, Port 49152"
You allowed <b>Windows Start-Up Application</b> to access your network resources.

Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local Computer,Traffic Description
9/10/2013 7:41:43 AM,Info,You allowed Windows Start-Up Application to access your network resources.,Allowed,No Action Required,Windows Start-Up Application,C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe,No Action Required,Allow,"::0, 49152","Inbound TCP, Port 49152"
You allowed <b>Windows Start-Up Application</b> to access your network resources.

Could anyone please explain what these mean? Thanks.

Visitor
totallyconfused
Accepted Solution
NO icon on desktop for Norton
[ Edited ]

I just installed the new Norton 360 Premier.  My old Norton (just expired) had an icon on my desktop that I could click to check on security status.  I don't have this icon with the new Norton.  The only icon I now see is an Identity Safe icon.  What can I do to restore the old type icon OR where can I now get this status information that tells "Security", "Identity", "Backup", and "Tuneup" ?

Thanks much!!

MehulBhai
Topics: 22
Kudos: 53
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 8
Accepted Solution
New Adobe Reader
[ Edited ]

When I install the new Adobe Reader 11.0.04 (which was released today) and then I run Adobe Reader I get the Virus message for one of the files as in the attached picture and the file is Quarantined. How it is possible!!!???AdobeReader.jpg

Visitor
mutley444
redirect malware

Hi All

Can anyone help?

I have norton 360 on my PC but now have redirect.cpvrdr.com malware(or is it a virus)  - how can I remove this thing?

cheers

Regular Visitor
panhead
Accepted Solution
File shredding fiasco

OK, after several days and multiple chats with various support personnel I found out the following.  Norton 360 cannot shred files.  N-360 can shred files.  N-360 deletes files completely, but cannot shred.  Shred was added shred to tuneup, same as Utilities.  Neither can actually shred files.  It can but documentation cannot be shared with consumer.  Several hours of chatting, lengthy escalations to "experts" with limited knowledge of either product (maybe communication skills?), and I still know no details about ANY Norton solution that shreds files, and if they do perform this double secret function, what files are impacted, what the shred protocal is, etc.  Nothing.  All I know for sure is that McAfee does this and Norton may or may not, but it is a well kept secret that not even Norton support knows.  Double secret.  Reminds me of Animal House.  Tomorrow a supervisor is supposed to call me with the secret details about shredding.  I'm up for one more attempt to get this information before chucking Symantec out the door.  Oh, and finally, the support guy told me that maybe the community can help me because (while the official support team cannot).  Anybody want to try?    Thanks.

Contributor
soft1reg
Accepted Solution
NRnR.exe
[ Edited ]

Windows 7 Norotn 360

what happened to NRnR.exe  Is it not used anymore?

Visitor
Del101
Norton 360 won't run

Norton 360 won't scan. An error appears "Problem detected. The scan cannot run because Norton 360 has encountered an internal program error". What is the best solution ? Thanks

Sanilang
Charging my card for automatic approval without any prior intimation or requirement form me .

I was shocked to receive a message from my Bank about my card being charged for USD54.990 for automatic renewal of a Norton product.

I registered into Norton Management and as per the procedure, I tried to find more information.I thought I would cancel any automatic renewal authorisation ( I remember , i never agreed for any such automatic renewal). Then a message flashed informing me that there is an unconfirmed order on my account and if I want I can cancel the same. I confirmed that I would like to cancel the order - but there is no message or confirmation that the credit card amount will be returned.

This leaves a bitter taste of experiance - I shared this kind of bad experiance with my collegues in the college - We all get a bad impression of Norton image itself - I do not know when I will get the amount of USD54.990 picked up from my pocket(Credit card).

I hope the Norton community takes notice of such bitter experiances of the past users and realize that this is not the way to be successful in any business.

I hope I get a clear confirmation that I will be paid the amount taken and the confirmation is asociated with corresponding action.

Jo_
Visitor
Jo_
Will upgrade to the new Norton 360 Version clean computer of Zeroaccess and fix damaged 360?

Greetings,

Thank you in advance for all considerations and any help!

Windows 7 OS

I suspect my Norton 360 is damaged by malware. I get constant notifications from Norton 360 that the malware and varies IP addresses have been blocked. The malware appears to be installed in an Appdata file from Google on my computer. I am denied access to this file. I can't do a virus scan on the file, inspect it or erase it.

I have not yet attempted to use the NPE Tool I downloaded from the Norton Symantec internet site, because I can't change the Antivirus Scan settings to scann all files as the online directions say to do.

At this point I am denied access to change any of Norton 360's settings except for the Identity Safe settings. All all other options  greyed out.

Norton 360 appears to continue to block attempts by the Trojan-Rootkit Zeroaccess, of various name endings, as well as Gen. malwares, and varies IP addresses. The detailed information points to files installed in my user account on my computer that loads on StartUp. The app shows in Startup, but won't allow me access to remove it from the system startup. I can't remove the malware app from the Add and Remove Programs feature of Windows 7 either. Nor can I seem to stop the related running processes to close the application.

Now that a new version of Norton 360 has just been released, and is available to valid subscription holders as a Free Upgrade from the Norton's Online upgrade site,  can I Upgrade to the New Norton 360 to clean my computer of the Trojan-Rootkit malware and repair the Norton 360 program? I have about a month and a half subscription remaining before I need to renew.

Again, all help is appreciated!

Jo_

Contributor
Astyanax
Accepted Solution
New N360 Premier Version Crashes

I just installed the new version of N360 Premier (21.0.1.3) on my 3 computers and work fine on 2 of them.  Whenever I try to open N360 Premier on my 3rd machine it crashes and Win7 says it's closing the program. If I right-click on the system tray icon and try to run things from there (like Quick Scan, Liveupdate, etc) it doesn't crash.  I'm running an ATI Radeon 6450. Could it be video related?

It seems to be fine as long as I don't try to open it. I've rebooted the machine several times hoping that might have resolved it and it didn't.  Anyone else having this problem? It ran fine on the prior version.

qlp
Visitor
qlp
Norton 360 cd

I am unable to read the help.pdfr & manual pdf files on the Norton 360 cd. I get a message "Adobe Reader could not open "manual.pdf" because is either not a supported file type or the file has been damaged.

Visitor
TertiaryOmega
Similar adds are appearing on almost every site I visit & drop down menus not working properly.

Hi Everyone - I hope someone can help me with this one. I have found 2 strange things happening which make me think I may have a virus or something in my system. 1) Whenever I go to certain websites, the adds that appear on the site normally are being changed to different websites that are not affiliated with the webpage. Example - My child goes to Nick JR website to play games, but all of a sudden, the adds that appear on the right hand side, or at the bottom of the page, change and are now variations of a similar add (not child friendly-to put in mildly). This is very disturbing as I don't want my child to see this sort of add. I rightclicked on the add and selected view source and got the following info: <SCRIPT src="http://ib.adnxs.com/ttj?id=1356197&size=728x90" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT> It's as if there is something in my computer overwriting the normal adds shown on the sites with another set of ads. Note-I have Norton 360 and have just finished running Malwarebytes application which will remove about 14 items found. 2) When I go to sites with auto drop down menus (like at the top of this site) when I highlight the tab and the drop down list appears with the options for the particular tab, I cannot move my mouse to select one of the drop down options. The options just disappear before I can select one of them with the mouse. I am not sure if this is somehow related to item#1 or if it's a stand alone issue. Would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

KeithWeisshar
Norton Billing Information
[ Edited ]

Why do I get an error message "The server is not available at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists please contact technical support." when I try to go to the Billing Information page from the Norton Management account?

Visitor
GlobalRoamer
SRTSP Event ID 4 - Error loading virus definitions.

Several thousand Google links returned when I search for

SRTSP Event ID 4 - Error loading virus definitons 

For any Norton internals people the code returned is 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 08 c0

Before you reply to my post PLEASE read on FIRST.

I've been a Norton customer for a long time.  I am familar with the corporate culture: Norton pretends to fix problems and the customer pretend the fixes work.  It is a good money if you can get into the racket.

I remain unimpressed with the fact that Norton KNOWS THIS ERROR is happening, and only pays marginal lip service tothe problem.  They give the standard 1989 answser; R&R.  Remove and reinstall.  It is 2013 and I don't have enough time in my day to play find and go seek with go people at Norton.

If you have a REAL solution to the problem I would be grateful if you would share it with me.  If you have some guesses, thanks for reading.  If you want to share it as a suggestion please tell me that is what it is.  For example 1. the folder size for SRTSP, 2. Malware issues, etc.

If you have the real solution to the problem I would sincerely appreciate you sharing it with me.

I am running the most current version of Norton 360 on all three of my PCs.

The problem happens once or twice a day on two of my three PCs, Windows XP Pro. 

In each instance I am able to start the Norton 360 UI and run updates manually.

Visitor
cap1943jm
Accepted Solution
Annoying Music & Conversation

Hi Group,

1. Had Microsoft Essentials installed.

2. Got a virus which caused system to crash.

3. Installed Nortons Suite and ran Quick Scan found virus and  corrected virus.

4. Download Spybot ran "Search & Destroy" corrected many malware errors.

5. Ran Nortons Erraser corrected and deleted more errors.

6. Virus must have imbedded a program which runs "Annoying music & conversation on speakers"

can't stop from running.

7. How do I correct the problem?

Thanks,

Joe Marchesani

Visitor
mossnch1
Accepted Solution
new Norton 360 blocks dns

Hello. Since I installed new norton 360 i loose connection to internet. seems dns is blocked.Even when i tun off firewall , still same.

I can get IP from my router but no internet. Once I uninstall 360 all is fine again.

i installed ver 21.0

any idea?

Contributor
molovian
N360 Newest Version keeps needing to activate backup

I just did a check new version on Norton 360 Premier Edition and installed the newest version.  Everyday since, multiple times a day, Norton backup needs to activate again.  It gets the red x on the icon and has a fix button on the main screen.  I do the fix to reactivate the online backup and it seems to work fine but then later that day I get the same thing happening requiring me  to active the backup again.  Is this a known bug with the new version or is there something I can do to get it so that it will stop needing to activate the online backup.

Contributor
Arbiter
Norton Backup encryption backing up to an external Hard drive

My understanding is Norton backups are encrypted. I just want to understand how this "works." WHERE is the key to decrypting the files stored? Let's say I have backed up my C: drive using Norton 360 to an external HDD (call it D:) and the C: drive completely fails. Can I install a new hard drive and use ANOTHER copy of Norton 360 to restore my files from D:? If so, this isn't very secure since presumably anybody who gets ahold of my external drive could decrypt my files using any copy of Norton 360.

However if the encryption key is stored on the C: drive and the C: drive fails, I won't be able to decrypt my backed-up files!

Please someone explain how this works? I have successfully restored files from a Norton 360 backup but it's always been restoring back to the computer disk from which the files were originally backed up.

Visitor
CGSmith
PC at Risk

Frequently when I first turn on my PC, I get an alert message advising me my pc is at risk.  Apparently the security protection has been mysteriously been turned off.  It is easy to turn it back on via "fix now", but how do I correct this continuing problem?  Thanks.

Visitor
sophierouget
Restore window mail and contacts from external back up to new laptop

Hi,

my laptop running vista just died. Fortunately i have been running norton 360 regularly and need to restore my contacts and emails from window mail (ex outlook express) ontoa  new pc. I have one old laptop with vista and a newer one with window 7. ideally I would like to restore all my emails, contact and various files to the latter ...

i have been able to restore my document and simple files like my pictures but cannot seem to find the emails or contacts

many thanks

sophie

Regular Visitor
panhead
File shredder

I read that N-360 could finally shred files.  I purchased/installed N-360 but cannot fine this feature in tune up or elsewhere.  Can N-360 shred files?

Contributor
JavaGeek
N360 Backup - By File Extension

I have some game configuration files that I want to back up. The problem is that the files get moved every time the game is patched. I need N360 to back up these files by file extension regardless of which subfolder they are currently in. Is there an easy way to do that?

Thank you.

Dan_Clements
Backing up Adobe Photoshop .xmp Files with Norton Backup

Dear Norton:

Would urge you to include Photoshop RAW image "side-car" files as part of your default photo file extensions.

For advanced photographers (I am an underwater photographer), RAW images are shot and edited. Edits are stored in *.xmp "sidecar" files. Norton backup recognizes RAW file extensions, but not xmp. Most folks I have talked with are unaware that Nortn does not recognize this extension, and that they have to manually associate it in order to have these files backed up.

Thanks for considering this change.

Dan Clements

Pacific Northwest Underwater Photographic Society (PNWUPS)

Visitor
bluesky11
A link instead of a PIN was given to me while a technician accessed my computer. Is it safe ?

A link instead of a PIN was given to me while a technician accessed my computer by LogMeIn.  Is it safe ?

Regular Visitor
srar
Norton 360 and PIII 600MHz on Windows 7

Hello everybody,

I am preparing a legacy PIII 600MHz, 512MB RAM computer with a Windows 7 Pro, replacing its earlier XP home.

The box of 360 says minimum requirement 300MHz on XP and 1GHz on Windows Vista +.

However, I have seen many evidences that Windows 7 works faster than XP on such machines. Do not know for sure yet.

Can someone please let me know if the 360 would really refuse to work on the PIII? Does the internet security or anti virus or SEP etc. has lighter footprint?

Thanks for reading and anticipating a response (as fast as possible!!!! - need to do certain long pending bank transactions on the ancient junk :) as fast as possible)