Welcome!

Welcome to the Norton Forums! Scan the threads for topics of interest or create your own. For fastest results, use our search feature to find related conversations. Symantec employees also post here when they can. So don't be shy -- join the discussions!

Please read our Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service before using the community.

Regular Visitor
mjubba
Accepted Solution
Horrible new toolbar

How do i roll back to the previous 360 as this latest update is useless and not user friendly.

thanks

mcEly
Norton Windows back to Mac

My wife's Win XP notebook died, and she repalced it with a MAC. I've got a recent backup on an external USB drive from the Windows machine. Any tips on how I can get those files from the USB drive onto her Mac?

Visitor
juansan1
When backing up to DVD-RW operation fails before finishing 4th disk (not enough space?)

Though I have backed up to multiple DVD-RW (5) this failure has reappeared.  The back up fails and when looking at "more info" a "not enough space" is hinted in the last file listed.  Is there any way to pre-determine amount of DVD-RW's needed for a given backup set?

JUANSAN1

Contributor
veron808
Norton 360 versus Norton Internet Security and Norton Online Backup

I now have Norton Internet Security which will expire on 7 Oct and Norton Online Backup which will expire on the same date too. I am thinking of downloading the Norton 360 30 days free trial. When should I do that? When my Norton Internet Security expires? Will I still need Norton Online Backup with the Norton 360. I note that the Norton 360 has some storage space but what if I need more space?

zetazero14
Accepted Solution
N360 backup with VMware Player

I'm running N360 on Windows7.  On that machine, I'm also running Ubuntu in VMWare player.  Is there any way to make the N360 backup work as the Ubuntu backup as well?

Visitor
Laracroft
norton 360 or kaspersky pure

hi all

here is some questions about norton capabilities

what are the big differences between pure and 360 ?

i used to use pure but i changed my mind and now i'm using 360 and 360 is the best antivirus ever but pure has some advantages over 360 and even norton is not rated in av-comparative site why's that for?

i saw some charts in other sites that marked pure in the highest rank but norton was not even near it why?

Visitor
lkjggfs
SVCHOST trying to open Norton files and is blocked

So, recently I've been getting messages (between 20 and 30 a day) that say that SVCHOST.EXE has been trying to open seemly random Norton files but was blocked. It only started recently, I think the day I updated Norton. Is it normal to have this happen?

Visitor
sc33
What is IP$ mean

Cucamonga
New 360 background difficult to read

I have upgraded to the new Norton 360 Premier, and the new mostly-white background on the control screen is much more difficult to read than the old black/grey. Is there any way to change it?

Contributor
iQSfX01001
Second error in Norton 360 21

It happens when you deactivate automatic firewall control and a software tries to connect to the internet.

Log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: N360.exe, Version: 12.10.0.42, Zeitstempel: 0x5202e8a2
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: SYMHTMDX.DLL, Version: 8.0.0.58, Zeitstempel: 0x52018148
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00129f8c
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa10
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ceaca6d6fb6391
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\21.0.1.3\N360.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\21.0.1.3\SYMHTMDX.DLL
Berichtskennung: cb51f869-18aa-11e3-88b5-00235451a86a

Contributor
iQSfX01001
Error in Norton 360 21

New Norton 360 21 causes an error when disabling automatic firewall control.

Log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: N360.exe, Version: 12.10.0.42, Zeitstempel: 0x5202e8a2
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: SYMHTMDX.DLL, Version: 8.0.0.58, Zeitstempel: 0x52018148
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0012c5cf
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa20
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ceadb9623a095c
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\21.0.1.3\N360.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\21.0.1.3\SYMHTMDX.DLL
Berichtskennung: dc51fffe-19fa-11e3-90bc-00235451a86a

Visitor
Coach4Miracles
Alerts from Norton?

Does anyone know why I keep getting alert pop-up windows (in bottom right of screen), like : "ConduitChromeApi.dll is safe"?

They come up often--even when no browser is open--and I find them distracting and irritating.

Most importantly, can someone tell me how to turn them OFF?

Thanks,

Don (AKA Coach4Miracles)

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>
Regular Contributor
rao
SVCHOST.EXE - No Action Available at this time and recommends no action required..confused

Unauthorized access blocked :C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE,1520

Yesterday - got the above message:Unauthorized access blocked  - SVCHOST.EXE - 22 times.

As of Today  same msg so far 30 times  ...  Why so many times in past few days?

Why Norton 360  log informs - No Action Available at this time and recommends no action required..confused?

FYI:

Norton Product Tamper Protection -09-12-2013

2013-09-12 8:00:45,Medium,Unauthorized access blocked (Open File),Blocked,No Action Required,2013-09-12 8:00:45,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE,1520,C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360 Premier Edition,0,Open File,Unauthorized access blocked,

Attached the copy for rewview

Please update why a confused statement?

Thank You for all your help. Rao

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, IE 9, Norton 360 Premier Edition v6 .4.1.14

nhaqueoi
Spotify blocked, Norton Firewall settings locked!

This is not a new problem for some, but I can't find the solution. It seems an update of 360 is now causing Spotify and Skype to be blocked. If I disable smart Firewall then Spotify works.

On going in to the Firewall settings Program rules is empty and I can make no changes here or on any of the other settings tabs. Help!

Screenshot here:

firewallsettings.jpg

Contributor
innerstrnt
How to submit a program to be a black listed one?

I'm used of fixing computers here on my shop, I found out that conduit, my backup PC , sweetpacks, advance system care and those stuff along with Adobe flash player update makes a computer boot slow... Is there any way to have a window that will prompt a user to double check the update or an auto deletion command to remove those unnecessary program?

Regular Contributor
ACS4500
Computer infected with 4 Adware Viruses

My father has a HP 610 wireless computer and while I was visiting him he wanted me to take a look at these constant pop up ads appearing accross his browsers. Norton 360 detected 4 different adware varients on his computer and Norton 360 stated that they needed to be cleaned up manually. Now after running a Full System Scan on his machine the screen has stopped working completely and he cannot access anything on the computer. It sounds like the computer is running normally but it appears that the adware may have disabled a screen driver.

Would anybody have any suggestions about this issue so I can forward this information to him?

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thank you

Regular Contributor
rao
Scanning – Malwarebytes vs Norton 360 - (PUP.Optional.WeCare.A)

Windows update got error msg  -Windows Update error 80072ee2, Through research scanned with user login- nor error found  on both sofrtware: Malwarebytes vs Norton 360.

Then scanned admin profile:  Malwarebytes on admin login has detected PUP.Optional.WeCare.A

Why did Norton 360 ver 6.4.1.14 could not detect.the issue?

Norton 360 always  informes it is protected and secure.  Just want to make sure my software is working.

FYI

registry Keys Detected: 1

HKCR\CLSID\{D824F0DE-3D60-4F57-9EB1-66033ECD8ABB} (PUP.Optional.WeCare.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

PS: Scanned again with Malwarebytes and no errors found. Finally widows updated successfully.

Please update. Thank You

Rao

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, IE 9, Norton 360 Premier Edition v6 .4.1.14

Visitor
Laracroft
i dont have norton backup drive

hi all

ive installed norton 360 several times and every time ive had norton backup drive in mycomputer but now i just installed norton 360 and i dont have any thing like norton backup drive

what should i do?

please respond

Regular Contributor
ACS4500
File created itself on laptop

Hey,

So recently I was going through my external hard drive files on my laptop and I found that a folder had somehow created itself among my other files. It was an empty folder that apparently created itself yesterday morning even though my laptop was not connected to the internet.

I ran a custom Norton 360 scan on my external drive and then on the individual folder. Everything returned clean. Another thing I noticed was that it said in order to delete the folder I needed administrative permission. I am the only one to use my laptop so why would it say this? Would anybody have any suggestions or input on what that could be?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you

gwcsiu
High CPU usage while running IE 10 on Windows 8

While using IE 10 on Windows 8, it always generate a "High CPU" from Norton 360.  I checked with the task manager and found that Norton framework and IE were using 90 something percentage of the CPU time. 

Moreover, while closing a tab page on IE 10, it hangs and I need to kill the task through the Task Manager. 

Can anyone advise the reason and the resolution?  CPU is 2% while browsing use Chrome.

Visitor
Coach4Miracles
How to Block Fake "Software Is Out of Date" Alerts?

They show up when computer boots up--saying programs like Skype or Firefox are out-of-date, when they are not?

They come from Belgian company "Trusted Software APS," which, ironically, makes computer security software.

Thanks,

Don (AKA Coach4Miracles)

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">//

<div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> //

</script>

<div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> //

</script>

</script>

</script>

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>
Contributor
wagygirl
Is it still possbile to buy N360 without using an online vault?

I REALLY dislike the online vault, it has always required me to change my password daily. I keep my Norton password protected, so I don't see the difference. I keep my passwords & cards backed up to my computer via DAT file.

I much rather being able to see and edit my logins on my computer.

I am interested in switching from NIS 2012 back to 360, but do NOT want to use the vault. The reason I switched to NIS was because 360 kept crashing. I'm sure that it has been fixed by now.

Is there a way to buy a new subscription of an older version?

Any help would be appreciated. The sale ends today.

360 - $89.99 down to $53.99!!!

Accepted Solution
You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources.

Hello. This morning, I noticed some unusual activity on security history. Shortly after the computer was started up, there were multiple entries of "You allowed Host Process for Windows Services to access your network resources." as well as "You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources." I tried to restart it and see if the same thing would happen and it didn't, except for the "You allowed windows start-up application to access your network resources." entries. Here's the two entries.

Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local Computer,Traffic Description
9/10/2013 7:41:43 AM,Info,You allowed Windows Start-Up Application to access your network resources.,Allowed,No Action Required,Windows Start-Up Application,C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe,No Action Required,Allow,"0.0.0.0, 49152","Inbound TCP, Port 49152"
You allowed <b>Windows Start-Up Application</b> to access your network resources.

Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local Computer,Traffic Description
9/10/2013 7:41:43 AM,Info,You allowed Windows Start-Up Application to access your network resources.,Allowed,No Action Required,Windows Start-Up Application,C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe,No Action Required,Allow,"::0, 49152","Inbound TCP, Port 49152"
You allowed <b>Windows Start-Up Application</b> to access your network resources.

Could anyone please explain what these mean? Thanks.

Visitor
totallyconfused
Accepted Solution
NO icon on desktop for Norton
[ Edited ]

I just installed the new Norton 360 Premier.  My old Norton (just expired) had an icon on my desktop that I could click to check on security status.  I don't have this icon with the new Norton.  The only icon I now see is an Identity Safe icon.  What can I do to restore the old type icon OR where can I now get this status information that tells "Security", "Identity", "Backup", and "Tuneup" ?

Thanks much!!

MehulBhai
Topics: 22
Kudos: 53
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 8
Accepted Solution
New Adobe Reader
[ Edited ]

When I install the new Adobe Reader 11.0.04 (which was released today) and then I run Adobe Reader I get the Virus message for one of the files as in the attached picture and the file is Quarantined. How it is possible!!!???AdobeReader.jpg

Visitor
mutley444
redirect malware

Hi All

Can anyone help?

I have norton 360 on my PC but now have redirect.cpvrdr.com malware(or is it a virus)  - how can I remove this thing?

cheers

Regular Visitor
panhead
Accepted Solution
File shredding fiasco

OK, after several days and multiple chats with various support personnel I found out the following.  Norton 360 cannot shred files.  N-360 can shred files.  N-360 deletes files completely, but cannot shred.  Shred was added shred to tuneup, same as Utilities.  Neither can actually shred files.  It can but documentation cannot be shared with consumer.  Several hours of chatting, lengthy escalations to "experts" with limited knowledge of either product (maybe communication skills?), and I still know no details about ANY Norton solution that shreds files, and if they do perform this double secret function, what files are impacted, what the shred protocal is, etc.  Nothing.  All I know for sure is that McAfee does this and Norton may or may not, but it is a well kept secret that not even Norton support knows.  Double secret.  Reminds me of Animal House.  Tomorrow a supervisor is supposed to call me with the secret details about shredding.  I'm up for one more attempt to get this information before chucking Symantec out the door.  Oh, and finally, the support guy told me that maybe the community can help me because (while the official support team cannot).  Anybody want to try?    Thanks.

Contributor
soft1reg
Accepted Solution
NRnR.exe
[ Edited ]

Windows 7 Norotn 360

what happened to NRnR.exe  Is it not used anymore?

Visitor
Del101
Norton 360 won't run

Norton 360 won't scan. An error appears "Problem detected. The scan cannot run because Norton 360 has encountered an internal program error". What is the best solution ? Thanks

Sanilang
Charging my card for automatic approval without any prior intimation or requirement form me .

I was shocked to receive a message from my Bank about my card being charged for USD54.990 for automatic renewal of a Norton product.

I registered into Norton Management and as per the procedure, I tried to find more information.I thought I would cancel any automatic renewal authorisation ( I remember , i never agreed for any such automatic renewal). Then a message flashed informing me that there is an unconfirmed order on my account and if I want I can cancel the same. I confirmed that I would like to cancel the order - but there is no message or confirmation that the credit card amount will be returned.

This leaves a bitter taste of experiance - I shared this kind of bad experiance with my collegues in the college - We all get a bad impression of Norton image itself - I do not know when I will get the amount of USD54.990 picked up from my pocket(Credit card).

I hope the Norton community takes notice of such bitter experiances of the past users and realize that this is not the way to be successful in any business.

I hope I get a clear confirmation that I will be paid the amount taken and the confirmation is asociated with corresponding action.