04-18-2012 05:28 PM - edited 04-18-2012 05:33 PM
Found some of the Steps here, the Steps can be done before attempting to install SP3
Another step by Microsoft to stop the services in the registry from loading or attempting to load after the file is renamed is to set the CurrentControlSet, ControlSet001, ControlSet002, there may be ones under the 003, and 004, for the driver to disabled.
* Boot the Computer into Safe Mode
* Press Windows R, type regedit, hit enter
* Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
* right-click the Start entry in the right pane and select modify
* Enter 4 in the Value Data box
* Close regedit, restart the computer once all done
04-18-2012 09:08 PM - edited 04-18-2012 09:20 PM
I found this for your system http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/S
It must be a known problem for your system.
People might want to do the process with the tool from SP2 to SP3 without Norton installed so that Norton won't stop or block anything.