Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Newlie2308

norton 360 v.2 live update problems

1st problem : When i first installed norton 360 v.1, my sister gave me the CD and my computer was the 3rd one to have it installed on (i dont know if this effects my norton or not). so when i first had everything installed, it went without a problem until it asked me to do live updates and all the other scans. I went ahead and tried the updates and the circles going back and forth went at it for 3 days straight ( yes ive left it on for 3 days straight). it never connected to liveupdate or even started downloading the updates after 3 days so i canceled it and went ahead and did all the other scans. those went smoothly and i still had the red x because i couldnt connect to the liveupdate. another thing it would do from time to time is say its "being run in a different process" or whatever.  ive read threads and suggestions on here and other places trying to find a solution but none has worked so far when it works for others. i use to have norton systemwork 2003 but uninstalled it. when all hope was lost, i got rid of norton 360 by using symantecs "norton removal tool".

after uninstalling, i read around alittle bit more and found out about norton 360 v.2, trying my luck i decided to re-install norton 360 v.1 with my sister's cd and cd key again. i tried the update and it never connected so i went ahead and downloaded + installed norton 360 v.2, when everything was finished, i tried running the scans and everything, liveupdate was first on the list so i tried that and i felt relieved to see that it ACTUALLY downloaded the updates. but sadly it NEVER finished after 15 hours. ive read many posts where people say it should take only 5-10 minutes, but come on 15 hours ? what is going?????? im sick of waiting for so long and leaving my computer for days with zero results. i have DSL with a decent computer ( 2.0 ghz, 1 gb of ram.) why does it take my computer so long to do live update and fails continuously ? my brothers computer and sisters laptop finishes within a few minutes. if it helps, my brothers computer is maybe a year or 2 newer then mine, and my sister's is brand new.

if anybody has any idea on how to help me resolve this. i would really really REALLY REALLY appreciate this. thank you.

ps. ive also tried doing "luall" on start. run. etc.. that didnt work either, it tried connecting, and started downloading and 6-8 hours later, it never finished. is it suppose to take hours to update ? or just minutes.. please help me.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: norton 360 v.2 live update problems

I am not entirely clear and would ask for clarification please.

Your liveupdate is not working buit is everything else? Did you activate the product, how much time is left on subscription.

What operating system are you using and what release.

What is the version number of Norton (main window, help, about)

Clearly some of the answers you know yourself. Liveupdate does not take 15 hours normally. Something is clearly wrong.

Your relatives' computers take a few minutes and that is to be expected.

You should allow at least 15 minutes the first time after install. It depends how old the source is. You say you downloaded and installed Norton 360 v2. Is this the trial version or did you buy it?

Visitor
Newlie2308

the only thing not working is liveupdate, its an activated product with a cd key that is being used on TWO other computers. there is still about 180 days left. and operating system ? hp intel pentium 4 windows XP. i'd say year 2001-2002. version number is 2.2.0.2. YES this WAS the trial version but it allowed me to have full version when i used my sister's cd key, it became full version i guess you can say. its able to download but never gets to installing it. the first time i installed it i left it overnight and that took 15 hours.. guess what.. that got me nowhere. it was still downloading when i woke up. i am sure i have norton 360 v.2

thanks goldman for the quick response.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Please follow

1. Go to control Panel, classic view, system

On general tab the system is listed. Please advise Windows XP home or professional or whatever else it says  under system.

In particular I want to know if you are on sp1, sp2, or sp3.

2. Go to Norton Main Window. In top right, should be help & support. click this and drop down to "About Norton 36O".

We want the version please.

3. I would try resetting.  Follow instructions in this link  . I know you have not have the error message, but PIUPdate tool might work.

Also try the "run it now" tool in step 3 after step 2, it is different.

4. If this fails repeat 3, turning off in settings sym tamper protection first.

Visitor
Newlie2308

1. sp2

2. version 2.2.0.2 that what it tells me when you ask me that

3. i will try that now and get back to you when it hopefully works or fail...

thanks again for the help goldman.

Visitor
Newlie2308

after doing what you told me to do, i have just 1 questions now.

1. how long does connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com takes?

Super Spam Squasher
johna

[ Edited ]

I have had problems with Live Update not connecting and other issues, here is the work around I used to fix:

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall 'Symantec Live Update'.

2. Next, go here and download the latest version of Live Update.

3. Install Live Update.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Run Live Update, several times until no more updates are available, restart your computer if prompted.

Try this and see if it fixes your problem.

Message Edited by johna on 07-25-2008 12:08 AM
Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

I would suggest when this is resolved that  you upgrade to SP3 it is free and will be shown as a critical update if you go to WIndows Update.

The current version for Norton 360 v2 is 2.3.1.4 so you are clearly not uptodate.

A liveupdate will depend on many factors like quality and speed of your connection, the speed of your processor, hard drive etc.

However, if you have waited more than 15 minutes it is probably not working. If you double click on your Local area connection you can monitor broadband traffic, if you think it should be downloading and there is no traffic movement then it probably is not working. 

There are many reasons why this might be - for example your computer may have been infected and a virus is preventing uploads to av that would allow detectionl; your hosts file may have been infected and symantec liveupdate sites may be listed as local sites, or you Symantec Liveupdate is simply faulty in some way.

There are several other proposals that can be made to help you but lets take them one by one.

Visitor
Newlie2308

hi johna, thanks for replying to my problem. as of right now, i will try what you told me although.. i highly doubt it will not work . mainly because my norton live update takes forever to download everything it needs, and the way you said just keep running it until it finishes.. it never finishes even one download or update at all .. so i will see if it works either way.  thanks again

hi goldman, thanks for replying again. i tried what you told me yesterday and it failed.. ALTHOUGH i did get my virus definitions up to dated, i found another way of doing that and for awhile i had a green check.. until this morning when my norton 360 told me to run a live update, i did and left it on for quite awhile.. it didnt work so i canceled it and been looking for some solutions. once after i get done with johna's solution, ill let you both know how it went.

and for the sp3 update your saying i should do it AFTER i get everything resolved ?

Visitor
Newlie2308

ok so when i tried your solution (johna), im stuck in downloading updates once again, i have no idea on how long one update should take so if you can, please let me know, from what i hear, it should take only 2-5 minutes.. but i'll wait alittle longer, its been 5 minutes so far. so we'll see.

and goldman, should i upgrade to sp3 asap or after i resolve the live update problems ?