Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
jade8155

quick scan help

Hi,

Every time I finished going online, I would run a quick scan with norton 360 premier edition version  4.0 and approximately 40 viruses and spyware would be detected and removed.  Over the past several days, I've run the quick scan as I usually do, and it appears to complete, but detects 0 viruses and spyware.  Can anybody tell me if there is something wrong, or why the quick scan isn't detecting the usual threats?  Thanks.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Re: quick scan help

Hi jade8155,

I think what Norton was detecting were simply tracking cookies, which are not a threat to your computer's security - it would be virtually impossible to collect 40 viruses during each browsing session.  If you are using Firefox, there have been reports that tracking cookies are no longer being detected since version 18 was introduced recently.  Again, this isn't really a cause for concern, and you can configure the browser's Privacy settings not to accept third-party cookies and to tell websites not to track you.

jade8155

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  I think you are right.  When I used internet explorer and ran a quick scan, norton detected cookies.  Just to be sure, will Norton's idle full system scan also no longer detect cookies from firefox?  Thanks again.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

My guess is that something changed in Firefox 18, and so I do not think a Full System scan would be able to detect Firefox tracking cookies any more than a quick scan would.  But I am just guessing.