Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
evo
Contributor
evo

sweetpack toolbar

Hi all,

need some help here.  I thought Norton 360 would stop bugs like this, its been wonderful so far but somehow this virus got through.

I somehow or another, (or someone using my system) has installed sweetpack toolbar on my system.  It has infected every browser I have.  IE Firefox 12 and the lastest Chrome.  It has taken over my search engines etc and I cannot get rid of it.

Any suggestion please, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and Norton 360

cheers

dickevans

Re: sweetpack toolbar

evo wrote:

Hi all,

need some help here.  I thought Norton 360 would stop bugs like this, its been wonderful so far but somehow this virus got through.

I somehow or another, (or someone using my system) has installed sweetpack toolbar on my system.  It has infected every browser I have.  IE Firefox 12 and the lastest Chrome.  It has taken over my search engines etc and I cannot get rid of it.

Any suggestion please, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and Norton 360

cheers

evo,

Let's start at the beginning - can you run a full scan from safe mode? Have you downloaded the Norton Power Erasere and run it? http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/index.jsp

Norton is very good but it's not perfect. It cannot, nor can any of the security products, protect you from each and every 'nasty' that is released. You are one of the 'lucky' ones who found it before Norton was able to release a fix for it. Sorry

You might also want to download, install, update and run Malwarebytes free scanner -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free it's Norton compatible and makes a great second opinion when you feel that one is necessary. I run it every other week or so.

Keep us in the loop and we'll keep suggesting until you get everything back in order.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
evo
Contributor
evo

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure its a virus per se, but more like an add on that installs itself to every bl....dy internet application you have on your system, and trying to remove it is a PITA.

I'll try your malware product and see how that goes.

I've manually removed most of the toolbars etc but man on man it is a PITA

dickevans

evo wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure its a virus per se, but more like an add on that installs itself to every bl....dy internet application you have on your system, and trying to remove it is a PITA.

I'll try your malware product and see how that goes.

I've manually removed most of the toolbars etc but man on man it is a PITA

I never argue with a person when they are correct.

Some of these 'nasties' do not damage your system and so may sneak in under Norton's SONAR for a day. This is one reason I keep Malwarebytes handy. They focus on the 'other' stuff and do a great job of cleaning up the messes that can slid in under the locked doors.

We'll be here when you need us

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21