Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
nedster

trojan.Win32generic!BT downloaded onto my PC despite running Norton 360. Removal tool?

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

Trojan.Win32generic!BT downloaded onto the PC despite running Norton Internet Security. It changes your home page in IE to search.conduit and everytime you open a new tab it opens the new tab at this conduit search page. You can't change your home page because the "Use default" and "Apply" buttons have been greyed out in Internet Properties. Norton scan failed to find anything.

Running Spybot and Adware found some bits and cleaned, but while I can now change my homepage back to where it should be, but when I open a new tab it opens on my home page again, rather than giving me a blank tab page. There seems to be an entry in Registry which causes the problem, but why is there no Norton removal tool for this?

If not, anyone else found a good solution?

System is Windows Vista 64bit.

Thanks,

Nedster

Bot Obliterator
Rainbow_2

Re: trojan.Win32generic!BT downloaded onto my PC despite running Norton 360. Removal tool?

Hi,

You should post your request in the Malware discussion board, here is the link:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Malware-Discussion/bd-p/Malware

Please don’t do anything on your own, just wait for the expert (Quads) to assist you.

Super Spyware Scolder
Scoop8

Re: trojan.Win32generic!BT downloaded onto my PC despite running Norton 360. Removal tool?

Nedster,

Best wishes for getting your problem resolved.

I'm not a regular visitor to the MBAM forum here but I looked it over after reading Rainbow_2's link, I wonder this:

What is the percentage of Norton users at this forum that have MBAM loaded on their PC and use it regularly?

Out of those members, how many members have been affected by intrusions (virus, malware's)?

In other words, are there numerous incidents that have been reported by members who were running Norton and MBAM at the time of the intrusions into their PC's?

I might have gotten a disproportionate picture about this after looking at the MBAM forum.

I've been hit as well in the past but not since switching to Norton (360) and using MBAM since December '12.

Prior to that, I've averaged about 1 intrusion a year with some that have been recoverable (by cleaning, running cleaning tools) and others that haven't been repairable, in which case I'd install my spare HDD to recover my  PC within minutes.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

Scoop8

Rainbow_2's post refers to the Malware Discussion board of this forum, not the Malwarebytes forum.

As to getting infected while running any security software, no single sotware can protect from 100% of malware 100% of the time. There are tens of thousands of new malware and variants of old malware released every DAY. Until the infections are identified and the fix developed, all computers are vulnerable.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Super Spyware Scolder
Scoop8

[ Edited ]

peterweb wrote:

Scoop8

Rainbow_2's post refers to the Malware Discussion board of this forum, not the Malwarebytes forum.

As to getting infected while running any security software, no single sotware can protect from 100% of malware 100% of the time. There are tens of thousands of new malware and variants of old malware released every DAY. Until the infections are identified and the fix developed, all computers are vulnerable.

peterweb, 

Sorry for the unclear post earlier; I meant to refer to the Malware section of this forum.

I agree, nothing's 100%.  That's the reason I clone my HDD regularly in addition to having a 3rd HDD copy on the shelf.

Having looked at the Malware DIscussion area for the first time recently, I was surprised at the # of members that are experiencing problems.

On the plus side, it's a great idea to have a Malware section and a resident ace (Quads) to help us out when the intrusions hit our PC's.

I have a general question for Quads which I'll post in that section shortly.

OT observation: This forum's now included on my daily 'net stops and in the short time that I've been reading here, I've picked up good advice and tips.

* Thumbs up * to the volunteer staff :)

peterweb
Kudos: 1,373
Solutions: 343

Scoop8 wrote:

OT observation: This forum's now included on my daily 'net stops and in the short time that I've been reading here, I've picked up good advice and tips.

* Thumbs up * to the volunteer staff :)

Thanks for the kind words.

You have also posted some valuable info. Keep comeing back and adding to the group help culture here.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.