Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
knackll

Re: using Norton 360: zombie processes

[ Edited ]

Johna-Really, it is appreciated that you want to assist in helping. But, I don't want to do this anymore. I have too much money, time & software invested that I just want to cut my losses. In my post above you will see 360 2.0 something version(Not exactly sure precise version) and the error message is I get is the same as 80% of everyone else. A window that says ccSvcHst.exe is not responding when I shut Down. The problem did go away for day when I exempted all my floppy / usb drives in the file excursion settings but came right back a couple of days later. I don't know why.

Thanks!

PS I would of thought Symantec would of replyed to my personnal e-mail by now concerning this issue but have not. Apparently, I have not spent enough money over the past 10 years of being a loyal customer. They must not have a fix either.

Message Edited by knackll on 10-23-2008 10:52 AM
Symantec Employee
Matt_Boucher

Knackll,

We are working hard to resolve this issue and I can understand your frustration as many have described the same scenario as you do. We are looking at why some components on shutdown take too long which causes the ccSvcHost service to stop responding, which in turns shows you that dialog.

This should not have any consequence on your system other than an annoyance when shutting down. I know you put this message on the zombie process thread, but this is a different problem than the zombie process.

Have you tried to exit all programs before trying to shutdown?

Matt

Visitor
knackll

[ Edited ]

Matt-Sorry it took so long to respond back to you. First off the ccSvcHost.exe forum posts led me to this one which is the reason why I posted here. Secondly, I have tried starting windows and shutting right back down to see if I still get the error (which I still do). I have disable anything from running in the background that does not affect win XP from running normally. In other words I went into msconfig and disabled all unnecessary programs from the startup. Thirdly, I had a product that worked fine(Norton 2006). This upgrade, though you describe as an annoyance, is crap! Pardon my wording. To compound my problem from everyone else's the Ghost that I 've been using to save backups wouldn't boot my PC. So I could not get to all the restore points I saved with ghost. Nice.....

What other dysfunctional product do you guys have I haven't purchased yet????

To make matters worse, tech support wouldn't contact me back for a custom disc as your support website suggests doing. I waited 2 WEEKS! Finally fed up, I went out and purchased a new copy of Ghost just for a bootable disc to try to reinstall a dysfunctional Norton 360! How messed up is that???? All that work and I still have the same problem today. I could prove to you that I waited that long for tech support. I still have all the saved emails. I could provide them to you if you want to see them.

Listen, I've tried to resolve these problems though the chat, email,& phone. It has been extremely frustrating and expensive. All these issues, you would of thought I had an Old IBM 386 running windows 3.1. I have a Dell XP 410 640 hd. dou-core processor running XP 4 gig memory. I really don't believe my equipment is that far out of date to achieve normal antivirus software performance as well as backup. 

I really hate to say it but Norton has really tanked with me. I was such an avid supporter until this all happened and mostly the way you guys lacked support to me. When people have trouble with your software they don't have weeks to wait. They need help now. 

The broken English the techs speak doesn't help either!

Bottom line Matt, I really do appreciate you offering to help since it's your job, but your 4 weeks too late. I'm restoring the PC tomorrow and loading a competitor's virus protection software program after that. Who knows, it could be worse than what I have now. I hope not.

Please focus your resources on someone who still believes in your product.

PS. At least you were honest in noting that there is no fix for this issue as of today. I do appreciate that. No sense of wasting any more of my time to try to fix something on my end that can't be fixed as of yet.

Message Edited by knackll on 10-24-2008 06:52 AM
Symantec Employee
Matt_Boucher

Knackll,

So is the only problem you have with Norton 360 on shutdown? Are there any other issues which are causing you to have issues with Norton 360?

As for your Ghost issue, you may want to try and ping someone on the Ghost forums, as I have not heard of your specific problem.

To be fair it's actually not my job to help others, it's just that my team and myself have put a tremendous amount of effort into this product that we feel is top notch and of high quality. I am a development manager for the Norton 360 product and would like everyone to have a great experience with our product.

If there is anything I can do to try and help you please let me know, my email address is on my profile if you would prefer to do this direct.

Regards,

Matt

Tek
Tek

Other than the hot fix in this thread, has Norton released an official patch / update yet for this? I have the same issue with zombie processes, which is impacting Real Rhapsody.
davida

As a returning Norton customer, I am totally disappointed in Norton 360. I am another 360 purchaser that has experienced the zombie processes and hanging shutdowns (ccsvchost.exe). This has gone on for months. Finally after much frustration and searching, I found this forum. At first, I thought it was a Windows XP SP3 issue. To think that I was almost at the point of reinstalling the OS. I have 3 PC's that were all having the same issue. After finding this thread, I now realize that it was caused by Norton 360, probably the Ver 2 update. I have 2 other PC's running Vista that don't seem to have this problem ( YET!).

I was very happy with Ver 1, but that has now totally changed with Ver 2. I had even recommended 360 to family members. The fact that this bad version could be allowed to get through Symantec's QC, is outrageous. I've also read the thread about the 360 Backup issues. This will be the last Symantec product that I purchase or recommend.

Luckily, my ISP provides a competing security suite as part of my service. After replacing 360, I have 3 perfectly functioning PC's.

Good riddance Symantec.

Symantec Employee
Matt_Boucher

Tek wrote:
Other than the hot fix in this thread, has Norton released an official patch / update yet for this? I have the same issue with zombie processes, which is impacting Real Rhapsody.

Tek,

We have released an update via our LiveUpdate system. The fix was released on 11/3/08 and should update your version of Norton 360 to version 2.5, you can check this by going to the help menu and clicking about Norton 360.

Regards,

Matt