Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jamiedoc

wireless printer can't connect to my network

I have Norton 360 running Windows 7.  I have an HP LaserJet p1102w printer.  It works fine connected via USB.  But when I try to connect wirelessly, it sees my SSID network name, but when I try to connect, the window to enter my WEP key does not pop up.  However, when I try to connect to my neighbor's networks, the window pops up immediately.  I have reinstalled the software repeatedly and disabled my firewall and antivirus autoprotect.  Any suggestions?  I'm thinking my firewall is blocking access somehow. 

Contributor
vigneash

Re: wireless printer can't connect to my network

Has the wireless printer been given "FULL TRUST" in the Network Security Map?

Visitor
jamiedoc

The printer does not show up in the wireless network.  The printer can see my network name, as well as others in the area. 

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

[ Edited ]

Your Network in WIndows 7 is probably called Homegroup if you select the default -- try deleting this network and creating it again but calling it Workgroup  which was the default name before Windows 7 -- some systems have problems in talking out of Homegroup and maybe the ethernet connected printer is suffering from that.

In general I've found in helping others -- I don't have a wireless printer -- that it is better to get the setup working with a wired connection and then switch to wireless after you have it working wired over the ethernet but I think this printerf only offers USB and wireless?

Have you checked out the HP Support pages for you printer?  [If you are not on 64 bit Windows 7 then choose the WIN 7 32 bit listing]

There are some recent updates there including one firmware for the printer ( deals with something I don't understand) and there's this which you might download, install and apply:

» HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility 2011-05-09 , Version:4.2.0.003, 2.61M The HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility application provides diagnostic and help information to assist users when installing and using HP printers on their home network.

That improves something to do with firewalls and that may be why you can't see the printer.

And there is a special area for WIreless Help

http://h20563.www2.hp.com/p/_wireless/index.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/wpc-support-hp 

You have installed all the HP software before connecting the printer the first time haven't you?

Hugh
dickevans

Hugh,

I've got a printer setup for wireless connection on my network. The instructions were to install it with the USB cable connected. Do all of the updates. Confirm it was working then do the wireless thing. My printer was able to find the router when I hit the button on the router - after unlocking it. [this was part of the online install] An IP was assigned and I was able to install it on the connected computers.

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
huwyngr

dick,

Right that's the advice I passed on and it's in the HP reference too.

Hugh
Visitor
jamiedoc

Thanks for the useful resources.   I will try more of the suggestions in the article listed.  When I looked at the router setup, it said it uses a Windows Firewall.  I disabled it, but it still does not work.  The problem still seems to be that while the software finds my SSID name, the popup window to enter the WEP key does not appear.  This is true only for my network, not the others in the area. Very frustrating!

huwyngr

I wouldn['t regard disabling the router firewall as solution -- troubleshooting and identifying perhaps -- but it's a valuable first line of protection.

I'm sue there must be an answer in the hardware/lan setup or N360 settings somewhere.

Hugh
dickevans

jamiedoc

Is the router set to braoadcast its presence? AND is it set so that new devices can be added. I keep mine silent and locked as a security measure. In that condition I can't add anything. The WEP key should be requested if one has been set. I assume that you have configured the router with a unique name, IP and set a key before trying to add devices.

You keep digging and we'll keep trying

Dick
dickevans

Hugh,

My bad. Was just trying to confirm that the written and software instructions say to do it like you said.

Sorry

Dick