01-25-2012 04:03 PM
Windows XP, SP3 - Norton Internet Security 2012 - all updates
I still have the following issues:
1. I receive the following message daily after child's account up and running between 5-20 minutes -- "Norton Safety Minder plug-in is disconnected or disabled on Desktop . To resume monitoring the Internet activities of your children, restart the Web browser or restart the computer."
2. I've tested the child's account myself and NOF appears to block restricted sites and categories but does not report them on the Activity log or by email.
3. Sites visited do not all get reported by email within 5-10 minutes, sometimes not until the next day.
What I have done:
1. Unistalled and reinstalled NOF as suggested in previous thread (currently Ver. 188.8.131.52. framework ver. 184.108.40.206)
2. Windows XP, SP3 - Child has restricted account. My account password protected, guest account OFF.
3. In December, Child figured out how to enter Safe Mode and bypass passwords. Child activated guest account which was unrestricted. I did get the Safe Mode alert and immediately remedied the situation.
4. In windows XP, Administrator must create a Safe Mode password to prevent Child bypass. For more info see
5. In Internet Explorer 9, it is possible to go into Tools / Manage add-ons / Norton Safety Minder BOF and disable it. This does not seem to inhibit blocking of restricted sites but may be the cause of blocked sites not being reported to the Activity Log. The other possibility is Tabbed Browsing. Child may have found a way to quick-switch tabs and beat the NOF software. I have not been able to duplicate a way to beat it myself yet.
The capability to delete the NOF add-on needs to be eliminated.
Bottom line - Kids are very computer savey these days and know how to browse forums such as this for ideas how to beat the system. The NOF Installation instructions should include placing passwords on Windows, Safe Mode, and even updating the Boot Order to boot the hard drive first before disks or floppies to prevent disk boots.
When can we expect a fix for these issues?
Open to any suggestions.
01-25-2012 07:34 PM
Thanks for your detailed feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us.
1. After you receive the message, please go to Tools-> Manage add-ons -> Norton Safety Minder and make sure it is enabled.
The feature of sending a notification to the parent is on the product enhancement list for future development if the browser add-on has been disabled.
2. Even though the Norton Safety Minder add-on is disabled, the program still reports the activities on the Web Activity page. It might take a little time for them to appear on the website.
3. If the logs get updated until the next day, please send me a private message with your NOF account email address, delayed websites and timestamps of the websites.
5. If you are able to reproduce the issue with Tabbed Browsing in the future, please let us know.
Thanks again for writing to us. As you probably already know that Norton Online Family program was designed as a tool to encourage communication between parents and their children. I understand your concern and will definitely pass your suggestions to the team.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
02-02-2012 01:39 PM
I've been following this thread regarding the browser being disabled because this has been happening to me as well since i installed the safety minder. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but to no avail. I'm not home now but I will check the Add-on status when I get there. We got a kindle and now he can get on with that when I'm not looking. I can't keep up !! :(
02-02-2012 02:45 PM
I sent you two private messages on 01-28-2012 with some detailed info about some of the issues I discovered but I think a portion of it might be appropriate to post for everyone.
Note: May need to block www.dogpile.com as well because it also searches Google.
I hope this helps.
02-02-2012 03:36 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I've received the private messages. I tried to reproduce the issues you described, but I haven't been able to do so. I've reported them to the team for their investigation. If I get any updates on them, I'll let you know.
02-08-2012 04:40 PM
VERIFIED - NSM blocks specified websites but does not log that child attempted to view the blocked site.
I tested this myself on child's computer. I purposefully went to blocked sites and the sites were indeed blocked.
Allowed sites are logged in the Activity Log but not the sites that were blocked. No email notifications received as well.
Computer has Windows XP SP3 with all updates, Norton Internet Security 2012, Microsoft Office 2010.
I tried unistalling and re-installing Norton Safety Minder. Uninstalled and Restarted computer. Re-installed and restarted computer. On SETTINGS, I turned OFF and saved and then turned ON and saved the various functions.
No change. Blocked sites are not logged on the Activity Log and no email notification that Child attempted to visit a blocked site.
There must be a glitch since the MANAGE ACTIVITY page was revised last week.
02-08-2012 06:20 PM
I've tested it myself and the blocked website got recorded and also the program sent an alert email to my email account.
Are you still experiencing the issue?
02-09-2012 08:45 AM
Yes. Unable to resolve the issue.
Note: Add-ons are enabled. Computer also has Windows Defender software (possible incompatibility?)
Question: When unistalling and reinstalling Norton Safety Minder software, is it necessary to disable Norton Internet Security 2012 until complete? I wouldn't think so since they are both Norton products, but . . . ???
02-09-2012 03:13 PM
If you are still experiencing the issue, please let us know what browser and version you use to view the online activities? (You mentioned before your child uses IE9, what about you?)
You don't need to disable Norton Internet Security 2012 while uninstalling/reinstalling Norton Safety Minder.
Windows Defender is compatible with the program. For details, please check out https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp
02-10-2012 10:24 AM
On my computer, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421, and AOL Desktop 9.6 for e-mail, but I do not use Internet Explorer through the AOL proxy (too slow despite TopSpeed).
I will check the Activity Log on another computer but I don't think my computer is the issue because it worked fine before the "Norton Safety Minder plug-in is disconnected or disabled" issue began in December 2011.
I will keep you updated of any new discoveries.