Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
kimd

Can't uninstall Norton Safety Minder -

I know this has been discussed, but the solution doesn't work!!! I can't uninstall safety minder. It appears to run, then nothing happens. Everytime I boot, it asks to set up. I cancel, and it appears o uninstall, but never does. Doesn't matter if it's on or off the net. Please help!!
Administrator
KatieQ

Re: Can't uninstall Norton Safety Minder -

Hi kimd,

What steps have you tried?  Have you followed the instructions here http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Online-Family/Norton-Safety-Minder-is-not-getting-installed/m-...

Thanks,

Katie

Visitor
medievalclaire

Can't Uninstall Safety Minder - SOLUTION

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue, I tried uninstalling Norton Safety Minder, and nothing would happen. Literally, nothing at all. I used the Windows Add/Remove Programs, and when that did not work, I tried using the CCleaner uninstaller. Still nothing happened. One post from a Norton person was to delete the folder containing the files, but that does not actually uninstall anything, it just removes the folder.  Deleting folders in lieu of uninstalling is not recommended because it still leaves pieces of the program in your computer's registry, therefore deleting folders IS NOT uninstalling a product, which is what everyone seems to want to do.

After a lot of goggling, I have found a handy little tool that let's you force uninstall any program, even if something is blocking it from being uninstalled. It is called Revo Uninstaller, and it is free. Feel free to Google the product, there are many valid websites that support it, and it is, of course, spyware free. 

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

I don't know if it makes a difference, but before I uninstalled using Revo, I went to the Norton Safety Minder website and unsubscribed from the service. After that, I tried again to uninstall via Windows and CCleaner, with the same results as before. 

I hope this helps everyone!

Visitor
medievalclaire

Re: Can't Uninstall Safety Minder

[ Edited ]

I feel I must explain the reasons why I am unhappy with this product, so hopefully Norton can fix these issues. I would first like to say that Safety Minder is a great idea, and I was really excited when I read about its features and everything it was supposed to do. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Its not just a few bugs here or there, the product simply does not do what it is supposed to. 

1. EVERY DAY, my daughter and I would be sitting side by side on the couch with our laptops, and I would get an email saying Safety Minder was turned off. It was not turned off. I could just lean over, move her mouse, and check the icon, which I did. I got so many of those emails every day, that I stopped paying attention. 

2. It does not monitor chat conversations, which was the main reason I subscribed to this product. There was an option to monitor Facebook, and any chats she had, and I could also block specific users. This feature never once worked, and I have had Safety Minder installed since December 2011. 

3. A reminder window would constantly pop up on my daughter's desktop, reminding her that she is being monitored. What is the point of this? I am her parent and it is none of her business if I want to monitor the laptop that I bought her. I am perfectly fine with the warning window popping up when she gets close to her time limit, but that is all I want. There needs to be more customization available.

4. It does not correctly monitor anything that she does. Most of the time, I will be sitting right next to her while she is online, and she will show me something that she is looking at. But when I go to the Safety Minder site and look at her activity, its not there. I can't trust this product to give me accurate information. 

5. Inability to uninstall. Even if a product does everything it is supposed to do, if it won't install, THEN IT DOESN'T WORK. There is absolutely no reason that this many people are having trouble uninstalling. I couldn't uninstall using the file in the Safety Minder folder that said "uninstall". Windows couldn't uninstall it, and neither could CCleaner. There is no excuse for this. I realize that you are trying to keep children who are being monitored from uninstalling the product, but there are better ways then simply not allowing the product to be uninstalled. 

6. Norton forums are not helpful. I have never been the biggest fan of Norton products (thanks for taking over my firewall when I don't want you to, and then constantly giving me warning messages when I tell you to stop), but I was willing to let you redeem yourselves with Safety Minder because I really believed it was a great and innovative product. However, the people you have answering your forums are not helping people. If you insist that you have tried all of their solutions, and you still can't uninstall, they insist that it could not possibly be the product, but either you or your computer. I realize it is their job not to bad mouth the product, but when this many people are having the same issue, and nothing is working, we know its you, and not us. Have the decency to at least admit there might be a "bug" or a "known issue". 

Visitor
medievalclaire

Re: Can't uninstall Norton Safety Minder - SOLUTION

I had the same issue, I tried uninstalling Norton Safety Minder, and nothing would happen. Literally, nothing at all. I used the Windows Add/Remove Programs, and when that did not work, I tried using the CCleaner uninstaller. Still nothing happened. One post from a Norton person was to delete the folder containing the files, but that does not actually uninstall anything, it just removes the folder.  Deleting folders in lieu of uninstalling is not recommended because it still leaves pieces of the program in your computer's registry, therefore deleting folders IS NOT uninstalling a product, which is what everyone seems to want to do.

After a lot of goggling, I have found a handy little tool that let's you force uninstall any program, even if something is blocking it from being uninstalled. It is called Revo Uninstaller, and it is free. Feel free to Google the product, there are many valid websites that support it, and it is, of course, spyware free. 

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

I don't know if it makes a difference, but before I uninstalled using Revo, I went to the Norton Safety Minder website and unsubscribed from the service. After that, I tried again to uninstall via Windows and CCleaner, with the same results as before. 

I hope this helps everyone!

Visitor
medievalclaire

I feel I must explain the reasons why I am unhappy with this product, so hopefully Norton can fix these issues. I would first like to say that Safety Minder is a great idea, and I was really excited when I read about its features and everything it was supposed to do. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Its not just a few bugs here or there, the product simply does not do what it is supposed to. 

1. EVERY DAY, my daughter and I would be sitting side by side on the couch with our laptops, and I would get an email saying Safety Minder was turned off. It was not turned off. I could just lean over, move her mouse, and check the icon, which I did. I got so many of those emails every day, that I stopped paying attention. 

2. It does not monitor chat conversations, which was the main reason I subscribed to this product. There was an option to monitor Facebook, and any chats she had, and I could also block specific users. This feature never once worked, and I have had Safety Minder installed since December 2011. 

3. A reminder window would constantly pop up on my daughter's desktop, reminding her that she is being monitored. What is the point of this? I am her parent and it is none of her business if I want to monitor the laptop that I bought her. I am perfectly fine with the warning window popping up when she gets close to her time limit, but that is all I want. There needs to be more customization available.

4. It does not correctly monitor anything that she does. Most of the time, I will be sitting right next to her while she is online, and she will show me something that she is looking at. But when I go to the Safety Minder site and look at her activity, its not there. I can't trust this product to give me accurate information. 

5. Inability to uninstall. Even if a product does everything it is supposed to do, if it won't install, THEN IT DOESN'T WORK. There is absolutely no reason that this many people are having trouble uninstalling. I couldn't uninstall using the file in the Safety Minder folder that said "uninstall". Windows couldn't uninstall it, and neither could CCleaner. There is no excuse for this. I realize that you are trying to keep children who are being monitored from uninstalling the product, but there are better ways then simply not allowing the product to be uninstalled. 

6. Norton forums are not helpful. I have never been the biggest fan of Norton products (thanks for taking over my firewall when I don't want you to, and then constantly giving me warning messages when I tell you to stop), but I was willing to let you redeem yourselves with Safety Minder because I really believed it was a great and innovative product. However, the people you have answering your forums are not helping people. If you insist that you have tried all of their solutions, and you still can't uninstall, they insist that it could not possibly be the product, but either you or your computer. I realize it is their job not to bad mouth the product, but when this many people are having the same issue, and nothing is working, we know its you, and not us. Have the decency to at least admit there might be a "bug" or a "known issue". 

Administrator
KatieQ

Hi medievalclaire,

Please check out the link below for your same post in another thread.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Online-Family/Can-t-uninstall-Safety-MInder-or-Norton-Online/m...

Thanks,

Katie