Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Administrator
KatieQ

Re: Norton Safety Minder not working in FF 4.01

Hi,

Thank for your patience.  We are working on the issue now.  When the new update is available, it will be distributed via Automatic LiveUpdate.

Thanks,

Katie

Regular Contributor
brihy1

katie i hope your not working on a ff 4.01 update as 5 has been released?have norton safety minder thought of maybe with all the browser updates happening so fast to maybe incorporate safety minder into a program(system wide,no matter what browser is used) instead of dependent on browsers?

Regular Visitor
JeffGr

Are you continuing support of the FIrefox plug-in or not?  Norton Safety Minder has now been incompatible with the most current version of Firefox for over 2 months.  Your plug-in is now two versions behind, including one major revision.  Mozilla has announced that they will be continuing a much faster release cycle for Firefox than they have done in the past, so this rate of updates for Safety MInder is simply unacceptable.

If you do not intend to continue to support the use of the product with Firefox, then you need to come clean about it so that your customers can pursue other solutions.

-Jeff

Administrator
KatieQ

Hi,

Sure, the program will continue to support Firefox.  Thank you very much for your concern and valuable feedback. We are currently in the process of working on the compatibility issue. As soon as we have an update, I’ll post it here.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

Katie

djdonoghue

It's disturbing to continue seeing replies from Symantec employees that say "it's coming sometime soon."

As someone considering what premium purchase to product for parental controls, this is the reason I am not selecting Norton at this time.

"It's coming sometime soon" has been months.  Symantec is not keeping up with browser development schedules that are PUBLISHED well in advance.  There are NIGHTLY releases from Mozilla, and frequent releases from Microsoft for IE and Google for Chrome - updates can be built on these, and codebase changes can be tracked in SVN and in the code history so you know if your tool is affected and what changes to make.  And a valid answer is not "well, it's a nightly and the build might change" - no, the functions, features and changes are set, all that is left is to get the specific code worked out, and with Firefox/Chrome you're dealing with open-source communities that would love YOUR involvement.

Why would I pay for parental controls when they aren't going to be fully comptaible with the browser I use - specifically, the most up-to-date (secure) version? 

I'd like an answer as to how many resources are allocated to safety minder, how many work on the firefox issues, ETAs (specific times - i.e. second week July if not a specific date), and whether or not there is a plan to PROACTIVELY update the software to work with new browsers as they release.  Most parents, and many IT people such as myself, choose an automatic update to keep their browser up-to-date.  Then they find out - if they happen to notice - safety minder is disabled.  So they either know their product isn't fully functional, or they just don't know.  Symantec has a responsibility as a security company to address this.  Norton Internet Security, starting with v2009, was a great step forward for the company recovering from its mediocre prior products.

This issue is relegating Norton and Symantec to the realm of only Antivirus and some Firewall, with all other pieces being subpar and better suited by other custom products, and better best-of-breed suites out there.

Please give me specific answers on why Symantec has not addressed this and when it will be addressed.  Security threats are addressed in hours.  Why is a parental control tool, for a browser known to be coming for months and released over a week ago?  When should I expect the update for Firefox 6 (NOTICE: It's being released in September, 2011 as has been known for months)

If the reply is another "we'll continue to support and we're working on it" that is the equivalent of saying "we don't care, we'll get to it when we get to it, you wasted your money, we don't care."

Regular Visitor
JeffGr

Re: Norton Safety Minder updates for Firefox, Chrome

Very well stated.  The continued posts claiming that they are "working on" the updates without any firm time line or strategy are getting downright laughable.  While Norton Safety Minder has some nice features that I'd hate to give up, I'm very close to dropping it for the simple reason that I need a parental controls solution that is going to be maintained. 

You are absolutely right about what Norton needs to do at this point.  They need to make a public statement about how they plan to go forward with providing support for browsers that are both growing in market share and implementing accelerated update schedules.  If they can't do that, then they need to seriously consider whether or not they are going to continue in this business.

When you think about it for even a moment, it is rather absurd that one of the industry's largest providers of anti-virus/security software is advising customers of one of their products to not apply browser security updates.

-Jeff

Visitor
roadkil

Re: Compatibility Issue with Firefox 4.0.1

Any idea when the fix is going to be released besides the canned "it's coming soon" response?

JollyJimmy

Re: Compatibility Issue with Firefox 4.0.1 - also applies to FF 5.0

Set up two new PCs last week and installed FF 5.0 and Norton Online Family.

FF immediately disabled the NOF add-on.  Then again, given the FF 4.0.1. story, that probably comes to nobody's surprise.

Will wait for the promised Live Update.

(tick tick tick... still waiting....:smileywink:)

Have fun out there!

Administrator
KatieQ

Hi JollyJimmy,

We appreciate everyone's patience on the update very much.

Thanks,

Katie

Visitor
SiD42

I think what you seem to be failing to appreciate is that a significant number of your customers are running out of patience. It would seem to me that I need to switch to a different product produced by a company that has the technical know-how and the will to get what is a fairly fundamental problem fixed somewhat quicker than this and one that has the decency to keep its customers better informed in the meantime especially as I would regard this as a 'premium' product not just some free anti virus software. I can only assume that Norton perceives the 'family' market as small and therefore insignificant but I would like to remind them that some of us run businesses that use Norton products in a much wider environment and that if I quit this product I will also quit using Norton products full stop. The people posting on here will be just the tip of a very large iceberg - how many have already walked away or stopped short of purchasing your product? How many of them might purchase your product at home and as part of their job? Have you any mechanism for quantifying how much damage this is doing to your business? In short 'update due soon' and 'thanks for your patience' simply isn't good enough. A point I feel so strongly about that I've bothered to register for this community so I can tell you! Now as other posters have suggested would it be too much to ask for some hard facts and up front honesty?