12-20-2011 08:38 AM
I will check for latest version 188.8.131.52. Is there an update function without un-install/re-install? I would hate to lose any specific blocked site info.
Does child have the capability to DISABLE the Norton Safety Minder add-on in the browser? If so, is there a fix to prevent it?
Child's computer has Windows XP SP 3, Norton Internet Security 2012, Windows Defender, and of course Norton Safety Minder.
Child user account is limited with no access to administrator account without password.
There are no issues other than the apparent capability for the Child to disable the NSM add-on within the browser and essentially turning off the parental controls and the reporting.
I see Child recently set up tabbed browsing within Internet Explorer. Could this be a factor?
12-20-2011 11:31 AM
You will not lose any specific blocked sites info (as I indicated in my previous post, house rules and settings are saved on the NOF servers) if you un-install/re-install Norton Safety Minder on the PC.
A child is capable to disable Norton Safety Minder add-on in the browser. If this happens, the Norton Online Family program recognizes the behavior and sends an alert to the parent. To block the ability to disable the add-on is on the product enhancement list for the future development.
One thing I like to point out is let's say a child disables Norton Safety Minder add-on, the websites they visit are still recorded and blocked if they are on the block list or the categories of the websites are blocked.
I'll report the tabbed browsing to the QA team so they can check into this.
01-25-2012 04:55 PM
Windows XP, SP3 - Norton Internet Security 2012 - all updates
I still have the following issues:
1. I receive the following message daily after child's account up and running between 5-20 minutes -- "Norton Safety Minder plug-in is disconnected or disabled on Desktop . To resume monitoring the Internet activities of your children, restart the Web browser or restart the computer."
2. I've tested the child's account myself and NOF appears to block restricted sites and categories but does not report them on the Activity log or by email.
3. Sites visited do not all get reported by email within 5-10 minutes, sometimes not until the next day.
What I have done:
1. Unistalled and reinstalled NOF as suggested in previous thread (currently Ver. 184.108.40.206. framework ver. 220.127.116.11)
2. Windows XP, SP3 - Child has restricted account. My account password protected, guest account OFF.
3. In December, Child figured out how to enter Safe Mode and bypass passwords. Child activated guest account which was unrestricted. I did get the Safe Mode alert and immediately remedied the situation.
4. In windows XP, Administrator must create a Safe Mode password to prevent Child bypass. For more info see
5. In Internet Explorer 9, it is possible to go into Tools / Manage add-ons / Norton Safety Minder BOF and disable it. This does not seem to inhibit blocking of restricted sites but may be the cause of blocked sites not being reported to the Activity Log. The other possibility is Tabbed Browsing. Child may have found a way to quick-switch tabs and beat the NOF software. I have not been able to duplicate a way to beat it myself yet.
The capability to delete the NOF add-on needs to be eliminated.
Bottom line - Kids are very computer savey these days and know how to browse forums such as this for ideas how to beat the system. The NOF Installation instructions should include placing passwords on Windows, Safe Mode, and even updating the Boot Order to boot the hard drive first before disks or floppies to prevent disk boots.
When can we expect a fix for these issues?
Open to any suggestions.
01-25-2012 07:36 PM
Please check the post below.
If you have any questions, please let us know.