Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
rjrizzuto

IE8 and Norton Safety Minder BHO Addin

I just got back from vacation, and my computer downloaded an IE8 update, and a new version of Norton Safety Monitor.  Now the browser hangs with a blank page on loading any web site, unless I disable the Norton Safety Minder BHO add in (2010.5.1.21).  Also, I no longer have the NSM icon in the task tray.

The IE8 update was

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista (KB980182)

Installation date: ‎4/‎3/‎2010 7:31 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=182969

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Contributor
rjrizzuto

Re: IE8 and Norton Safety Minder BHO Addin

After logging off and then back on, the problem has cleared.  I now have the NSM icon in the task tray, and the browser works with the addin enabled.

Symantec Employee
Matt_Boucher

Thanks for the follow up information.

Matt

Visitor
michaelc

I am seeing the same problem.

NSM is not showing in the taskbar.

IE8 is hanging, and I had to start it in "No Add Ons mode" to allow me to disable the N360 addons.

I rebooted the machine, but this did not help.

I tried to uninstall NSM, but the uninstall task hung on the first screen saying "Initializing".

I then tried to reboot the PC (I thought that if I started in SAFE mode that I might be able to force the uninstall to work), but the shutdown was aborted by NSM with a message that the uninstall could not be interrupted.

I don't know whether to turn the power off on the PC since I can't shut it down in an orderly manner.

Prior to this I had been running NSM for 2 months without issue.

The only things that changed just prior to this problem appearing were:

- N360 downloaded an update and asked me to reboot the PC.

- I had also enabled Other Network Print and File Services in Windows as I needed to install a printer that supported LPR.

Does NSM create a logfile that could explain why it is not starting properly now?

Is there a way to safely interrupt the uninstall when it is in the Initializing phase?

Thanks

Michael.

Symantec Employee
Matt_Boucher

Unfortunately there is not.

It would appear based on the information you give the only solution would be a power off / on cycle.

Matt

Visitor
michaelc

HI Matt,

After I force power off the machine, what should I do?

Do I reboot in safe mode and uninstall NSM and then try to reinstall?

Do I run any other tool to check the NSM installation and try to "fix" it?

Thanks

Michael.

Administrator
KatieQ

[ Edited ]

Hi michaelc,

I have sent you a PM with steps to correct the issue. You could access the message by clicking on the icon_notes_mail.gif icon in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I would be more than happy to setup a remote desktop access and work together with you on this.  You're welcome to send me a private message or an email for details.  You can find my email address at http://community.norton.com/norton/profile?user.id =15038

Thanks,

Katie