Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
parentwchildren

Norton safety minder makes surf browsing too slow

Hello experts

I installed NSM a few weeks ago. At the beginnig surfing the internet was normal, but now it is sooooo slooow.  As soon as I disabeld Norton safety minder goes back to normal. 

I have seen some posts in this regard ("..... contact your ISP....") but I don't thinks this is the right solution. Is there another solution or should I consider other parental control software ?  NSM looked great at the beginning, I was thinking to but it for my children's computers.

Please, tell me that there is a fix for this.

Thanks

Parent with 4 children

Administrator
KatieQ

Re: Norton safety minder makes surf browsing too slow

Hi parentwchildren,

What security product(s) and versions do you have on the PC?

Thanks,

Katie

Regular Visitor
MartinC

Hi,

Similar issues...

We've been using NSM for a several years now, but it has become unusable over the last couple of weeks or so.  Surfing is very slow or fails entirely with NSM enabled, but fine with NSM disabled.

We once had a simpilar problem for a single day when the ISP (BT) said a Trans-Atlantic router wasn't working properly, but the current problems have lasted for some time now.  We haven't managed to diagnose the bottle-neck this time.

Same on three PCs: Windows 7 64-bit, NIS2012, IE9 or Chrome.

Any suggestions from the NSM team?

Cheers

Martin

Administrator
KatieQ

Hi Parentwchildren and MartinC,

We just released a Norton Safety Minder update with version number 2.3.0.19.  Please check to see if the new version makes any difference?

MartinC, you mentioned in your post that you have IE 9 and Chrome,  Is it slow when surfing in BOTH browsers?

Thanks,

Katie

Regular Visitor
MartinC

KatieQ,

Thanks for the response.

NSM had already updated to 2.3.0.19 before my post (not noticeably better) and yes, the problem is browser-independent.

MartinC

Administrator
KatieQ

Parentwchildren and MartinC,

Do you also happen to have Adobe Acrobat Reader 10.1.3 installed on the PC?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Online-Family/Bug-PDF-Helper-NOF-Major-Browsing-Delays/td-p/70...

Thanks,

Katie

Regular Visitor
MartinC

KatieQ,

Don't have Adobe Reader 10 on any of the PCs.  Have Acrobat Pro 9.5.1 on one and Reader 9.5.1 on the others.

Anyhow... checked that the problem was still there in IE9 and Chrome - it was.  Disabled all Acrobat Pro pdf helper objects in IE9 and browsing returned to normal.  Curiously, re-enabling the helper objects did not reintroduce the issue.  Even more curiously, browsing in Chrome has also returned to normal.

Went to investigate on the kid's PCs and noticed that they were both still running NSM 2.2.0.48 (ish).  Took a while to realise that the download link from the NOF web page was for an earlier version and that I needed to use the https://onlinefamily.norton.com/downloads/client/windows/SafetyMinder.exe link to install a more recent version (2.3.0.18).  The issue was then resolved on these PCs too.  They have both succesfully promted an update to 2.3.0.19.

Thanks for your help on this.

MartinC

Administrator
KatieQ

MartinC,

Thanks for the update.

Thanks,

Katie

Administrator
KatieQ

MartinC,

Thanks for the update.  I know it's very possible that you didn't notice that, but by any chance,  do  you know which version of Norton Safety Minder you had, then you started experiencing the issue on Norton Safety Minder 2.3.0.18, or Norton Safety Minder 2.3.0.19 or prior to both versions?

Thanks,

Katie