Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Steve-NJ

Norton Ghost 12 upgrade to Symantec System Recovery 2013

I am running Ghost 15.0 on a Windows 7 PC.

I ordered another Windows 7 PC but since Ghost is discontinued I am considering buying its replacement Symantec System Recovery 2013.

Do they work the same exact way?

I see that I can buy the Symatec System Recovery 2013 with 3 years support directly frim this site.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Re: Norton Ghost 12 upgrade to Symantec System Recovery 2013

The program looks almost exactly the same as Ghost 15, you will be able to use it without having to learn anything new.

Use the link in the top section here to get a discount just be aware the download given on that page does not include the recovery disk, to download the entire produt you need to go here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88749

Dave

Contributor
gumboman

I have Ghost v15 and mainly use it to do File/Folder Backup and Restore.  I don't do a lot of Imaging, but maybe once in awhile.  Is the replacement for Ghost mainly an Imaging program or File/Folder backup program.  I don't want a backup program that insist on taking control of my system for Imaging as a default.  I mainly run my backups manually, not scheduled.

Thanks for any insights.

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

SSR 2013 is exactly the same as Ghost 15 with a few more features and updated for Windows 8. As far as I know, whatever you did with Ghost 15, you can do with SSR 2013.

I personally would never use File and Folder Backup. A partition image is far more useful, especially when you use the incremental backup feature. It is much easier and faster to retrieve Files / Folders from an image file than F & F Backup.

Regular Contributor
whbos

I am trying out the trial for SSR and it looks exactly like Ghost v15 with a few unnecessary additions.  If you are using Windows 7 or earlier, I don't see any reason to move to SSR since it is 2012 software with a 2013 date.  I was thinking of upgrading to it, but I don't want to be stuck with more abandonware like Ghost v15 which hadn't been updated in years.

If Ghost v15 works for you, why upgrade.  I'm glad I tried the trial.  No sense upgrading to something that is the same as what I have already. It just has a different name.

I also can't find any upgrade path from Ghost v15 to SSR.  Unless Symantec is offering a good deal, I'll stick with Ghost and see if SSR sticks around.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

SSR 2013 does have some significant improvements that may be important to some people.

Support for USB3, support for UEFI installed systems and a 64bit recovery disk.

It also has some fixes for problems some people were having with multiboot systems, especially using copy drive.

It has support for Windows 8, although it will not support Windows 8.1 until maybe February 2014.

But if you don't need these options then your fine with Ghost 15 or a previous version as long as it is working for you.

I have an old system still using Ghost 9.  It has not been supported in a long time but it works fine on that system so I never bothered to update it.

Dave

Contributor
gumboman

Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition seems to be for business operations, not individual desktop?  Is this true -  I'm looking for a good backup for my home desktop computer that let me restore files/folders and/or operating system as required, but mainly files/folders!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

SSR 2013 Desktop is available for one license. It has essentially replaced Norton Ghost. If you have ever used Norton Ghost, there will be no learning curve because it is the same.