Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
NightOwl

Unable to update Ghost 2003 from build 775 to build 793

I occasionally re-install WinXP and then need to re-install Ghost 2003.  I previously had problems with LiveUpdate not being able to access the Symantec-Archive server, or LiveUpdate failed to find the Ghost 2003 update to build 789 and then to build 793.

I posted this inquiry in the past: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/LiveUpdate-Symatec-Archive-Server-Down-or-Gone/...

I did a search and found this new information stating that the old links to updating LiveUpdate no longer work:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/LiveUpdate-Archive-fix-gone-any-alternatives/td...

I was able to update LiveUpdate and add the *Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate* file to my initial re-install of Ghost 2003 so that I can select the Symantec-Archive server when running LiveUpdate--but, when LiveUpdate runs, it says that build 775, which is the Ghost build installed from the installation CD, is the most up to date version.  But, in the past, LiveUpdate would update first to build 789, and then on second running of LiveUpdate to build 793.

Have the update files been removed from the Archive server again?  Can this be fixed?

Thanks for any help on this.

Visitor
NightOwl

Re: Unable to update Ghost 2003 from build 775 to build 793

Sorry, I did not see that a new forum for Ghost has been created.

If the Admin or Moderator wants to move this topic, that would be appreciated.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Can anyone help NightOwl? Can this still be done?

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I don't have time to try it right now but if NightOwl says it's not on the server I'm sure it isn't.

I sent a PM to Andy asking for help and explained who this person is.

Dave

Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

When Symantec\Norton ends support for a product, I'm pretty sure the LiveUpdate for that product is turned off. I'm trying to verify that. Dave speaks highly of you :smileyhappy: so if you want to send me a private message, I can send you the newest build for download. 

-Andy

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

NightOwl,

I'm sure you already have ver 793. Does the Update Server do more than just update the exe?

Visitor
NightOwl

Brian_K

Yes, I have Ghost 2003, build 793.  It's on my other computer that was updated a couple years ago.

Brian_K wrote:

NightOwl,

I'm sure you already have ver 793. Does the Update Server do more than just update the exe?

Yes, here's the list:

update #2 that takes you to build 789:

ASPI1394.SYS
ASPIEHCI.SYS
gdisk.exe
Ghost Boot Wizard.exe
ghost.exe
ghostlu.exe
ghostlu.ini
GhostStart.exe
ghreboot.exe
ghstwalk.exe
ghwrap.exe
ng2003upd2.dis
readme.txt
VPartition.dll

and update #3 takes you from 789 to 793:

gdisk.exe
gdisk32.exe
ghost.exe
ghostlu.exe
ghostlu.ini
GhostStart.exe
GhReboot.exe
ghstwalk.exe
ghwrap.exe
INT86_16.DLL
Int86_32.dll
ng2003upd3.dis
readme.txt
VPartition.dll

I have never seen *Update #1*, so I can't comment on that one, if it ever existed..

Visitor
NightOwl

andreash_utah

andreash_utah wrote:

When Symantec\Norton ends support for a product, I'm pretty sure the LiveUpdate for that product is turned off. I'm trying to verify that.

Dave speaks highly of you :smileyhappy: so if you want to send me a private message, I can send you the newest build for download. 

Thank you for the offer.  As you can see in my reply to Brian_K, getting the Ghost exe build 793 is not really the issue.

When did Symantec\Norton end support for Ghost 2003?   I've been able to use the Symantec-Archive server for years to get the updates to Ghost 2003.  I presume that's why it was on an *Archive* server--it was no longer a *live update* from the Symantec-Live server--it just took you to the final product build that was available when active support ended.

I'm not really asking *for support*!  I understand that Ghost 2003 is no longer supported and is no longer being updated.  I just want the ability to update the product to its last supported build when I have to re-install it on my old WinXP system.

Seems unfair for companies to abandon their customers in this fashion--but, I know it happens.  Hopefully you will find that it was an oversight, and the updates can be returned to the Archive server. 

Thank you for any information you can find out.

Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

Can you do me a Help>About...and tell me the product build? 

-Andy

Visitor
NightOwl

andreash_utah

I install Ghost 2003 from a Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003 installation disc.  I install only the Ghost component--but the Help>About is regarding Norton SystemWorks--not specific to Ghost. 

The result:  Help>About Norton SystemWorks:

version:  6.00   Build:  50

part number 10025230

Suite Application Installed:

Norton Ghost

All Ghost files with a versiion number available by looking at the file properties is *2003.775*