Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tonyio

Re: 2 icons in system tray

I have tried the steps shown below:

The steps for  resolving the multiple Norton icons on System tray after installation of Norton:

• Take backup of Windows Registry
  • Delete PastIconsStream from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
  • Restart the computer and recheck.

BUT after restarting the pc couple of times, the second icon seems to reappear and the PastIconsStream reapears again...

For me the above does not work for windows 8.1

Visitor
dimido

I have the same problem. Several times removed Norton 360, fixing it in the registry, and constantly there are two icon.

Windows 8.1 Х 64

Visitor
tonyio

PLease note:

Take backup of Windows Registry

• Delete PastIconsStream from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
  • Restart the computer and recheck.

As mentioned previously, I did delete PastIconsStream  but I then deleted at least twice. Restarted the computer several times and I have noticed that the second icon is no longer there.

I suppose the above trick does seem to work (eventually) for windows 8.1

Regular Contributor
maxknux

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem but with Norton 360 now up to 3 icons. OMG, this problem has been happening for a long time it comes and goes. I did the Delete pasticons thing but nothing changed so I put it back since nothing happened.

3 Norton 360 System Tray Icons

~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.
Sony VAIO VPCF136FM; Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64; 8 GB RAM; Intel i7 Quad @ 1.73 GHz (Boast to 2.83 GHz)
Norton 360 v21.2.0.38
Contributor
cyberwasp

I'll just say this. As long as it works and symantec is aware of the problem, I'm ok. They'll  get it fixed one year!!

F4E
Kudos: 833
Solutions: 185

This was covered in a previous thread, and I proffered this suggestion. It may work for you.

Have you checked your Boot Time Protection in the Norton UI ? Setting the Boot Time Setting to Aggressive, will ensure that Norton starts immediately the computer is switched on .

Norton does a self check to make sure it boots with the PC, if it does not see itself fully loaded it starts another. Other things that might cause this are often a defragmented hard drive loading it too slowly.

This may be why you have several icons loaded. Either way, you'll only have the normal two instances of nis.exe running in Task Manager.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Visitor
dimido

Изображение2.jpg

Clean the registry reinstall a program solves nothing.
Regular Contributor
maxknux

F4E wrote:

This was covered in a previous thread, and I proffered this suggestion. It may work for you.

Have you checked your Boot Time Protection in the Norton UI ? Setting the Boot Time Setting to Aggressive, will ensure that Norton starts immediately the computer is switched on .

Norton does a self check to make sure it boots with the PC, if it does not see itself fully loaded it starts another. Other things that might cause this are often a defragmented hard drive loading it too slowly.

This may be why you have several icons loaded. Either way, you'll only have the normal two instances of nis.exe running in Task Manager.

I have already set the boot time protection to aggressive. You are correct to say I still have 2 processes running like normal when I have 1 icon so I am not concerned about multiple proccess because that has not changed.

It is just ugly to have mutliple same icons in the system tray. You might be right that my hard drive could be loading it slowly but this problem goes and comes back. Maybe Norton should do a self check on the amount of icons after 15 minutes from startup to clean up if that is the case. Just a thought.

~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.
Sony VAIO VPCF136FM; Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64; 8 GB RAM; Intel i7 Quad @ 1.73 GHz (Boast to 2.83 GHz)
Norton 360 v21.2.0.38
Spyware Scolder
SecurePC

I have recently been experiencing two NIS icons as well and once with Norton Management. Usually, a restart or two will correct the problem.

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro
// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
yank
Kudos: 2,245
Solutions: 511

Hi maxknux,

It appears to me you have 2 instances of N 360 and one instance of Norton Zone  Norton Zone Icon.PNG.   Do you have Norton Zone installed?

Please notice there is no black circle on the Norton Zone and in fact a bit diffeent shaped and colored.