Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
NY1986

ADOBE Acrobat and Reader issue/Norton Protection

I read the information provided by Norton on the  Adobe 0-day OR Trojan.Pidief.E issue. I really don't want to mess with thesecurity settings of my adobe program (ie. turn off java script) I notice the other suggestions indicates

Anyone who has installed Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and does not have Norton security protection is at risk.

By Norton security protection are they meaning only the NIS product or would that include NAV2008 as well?

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Re: ADOBE Acrobat and Reader issue/Norton Protection

NY1986 wrote:

Anyone who has installed Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and does not have Norton security protection is at risk.

By Norton security protection are they meaning only the NIS product or would that include NAV2008 as well?

Where did you read this part?

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Regular Contributor
NY1986

Regular Contributor
GreatNate1312

I looked at the link you provided and under how to stay protected it said run a great security suite- that could be any GOOD security suite. You are fine
Regular Contributor
NY1986

I was caught, excuse the pun, by the semantics. Not sure if they meant security product like NAV2008 or security suite such as NIS
Regular Contributor

NY1986 wrote:
I was caught, excuse the pun, by the semantics.

Good one LOL :smileyvery-happy:

NY1986 wrote:
Not sure if they meant security product like NAV2008 or security suite such as NIS

Well... my interpretation of the Norton sentence "Anyone who has installed Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and does not have Norton security protection is at risk" would be (since they didn't capitalize the "s" in the word "security"), that their use of the word "security" is intended to apply to all [recent] Norton products whose purpose is to help increase computer-security & control malware etc., and not to only apply to products that specifically had the word "security" in their name (such as Norton Internet Security). It's an interesting question you pose though, now that I think about it...

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Actually, down at the bottom, the writer recommended Norton Internet Security or Norton 360.  This might indicate a preference for a suite.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

delphinium wrote:
Actually, down at the bottom, the writer recommended Norton Internet Security or Norton 360.

The page has changed. You're right, it does say that now (at the time of this writing) in several places, including the first paragraph, all in bold orange font too...

delphinium wrote:
This might indicate a preference for a suite.

Well, that would be my preference (from my point of view as a regular non-expert computer user), just because of the extra protection that's already built-in to things such as Norton Internet Security, such as firewall and whatever the other differences might be (for Windows, I've only used Norton Internet Security; no experience with other Norton products for Windows). Does Norton 360 have a firewall? (don't know). Anyway I have no idea whether or not such things as firewalls are applicable to the Adobe thing, but hey... can't hurt, right. :smileywink: :smileyhappy:

Edited because of my confusion about exactly what Norton 360 does or doesn't contain. I just looked at the Symantec page at http://www.symantec.com/norton360/about/index.jsp and searched the entire page for the word "firewall" and didn't see it... maybe it doesn't matter.

Message Edited by j2000 on 03-07-2009 07:25 PM
Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Hi folks,

Just to clear up any confusion, Norton 360 does have a firewall.

Check this link for the complete specs.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Regular Contributor

Phil_D wrote:

Hi folks,

Just to clear up any confusion, Norton 360 does have a firewall.

Check this link for the complete specs.

You're right - thanks :smileyhappy: