Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
xxJackxx
Topics: 18
Kudos: 35
Solutions: 5
Accepted Solution

Again with RarExt32.dll

I just updated to WinRar 4.10 yesterday. Today Norton is giving me a popup that says "Security Risk Detected" and wants to remove the file (RarExt32.dll). At least it is givimg me an option. It seems like every time WinRar is updated this happens. Yes, I have a valid license. No they do not digitally sign the program, would be nice of they did. Norton is doing this wrong. It should not be the vendors responsibility or mine to prove this is not a virus. Nobody else detects this file as malicious. I just came back to Norton 2 days ago after months with another product. Now I am remembering why I left. What needs to happen to solve this problem for good?

Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 39

Re: Again with RarExt32.dll

[ Edited ]

Hi xxJackxx:

Where did you download it from? If the site is legit, it could be a False Positive which can be reported here.

Another thing is that the file has not built enough of a Reputation yet for Insight to consider it completely safe.

You can manually exclude the .DLL if you completely trust it.

If you could post a screenshot, we would be happy to look at it and advise. Here's how to do it -

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Thanks,

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
xxJackxx
Topics: 18
Kudos: 35
Solutions: 5

Thanks for the reply. I just went ahead and excluded it. I got it from the link on the WinRar site but it does redirect to CNET. No, it wasn't packaged or I would have skipped downloading it from them. I wish they would start digitally signing it.  I'll probhably report as a false positive if the process is not overly involved. It seems to happen every time there is an update.

Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 39

[ Edited ]

Hi xxJackxx:

OK. Good to know. :smileyhappy:

Here is the link to submit the file as a False Positive just in case it is not at your fingertips.

Glad to be of help!

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."