Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Anti-Virus Engine Error & Auto-Protect

noticed it was getting a long boot time for me, a long black screen, then a long black screen with a mouse pointer, Like something was having problems loading, 
Except last night I got an error on shutdown

"ccSvcHst.exe" Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be "read."

Couldn't catch it fast enough dialog error box disappeared, PC continued to shut down, didn't think much of it, It's shut down time for bed.

This Morning booted the PC. got to the black screen and the PC auto rebooted over and over...........................................

I used in the end "Last Known Good Configuration" got in and pulled up a couple of  this mornings errors for the time that Normal Startup (Normal Mode) got stuck 

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 14/10/2009
Time: 8:11:15 a.m.
User: N/A
Computer: JOHN-MASTER
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SRTSP
Event Source: SRTSP
Event ID: 5
Time: 8:09:29 a.m.
Description:
Error loading Symantec real time Anti-Virus driver.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 05 00 08 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Also if the user has a Folder with a large amount of folders and files inside, say a download folder, 
When Opened and wanting to scroll down the files it stutters, It's like Auto-Protect is checking all the files contained in the folder when the user opens the folder, but that's causing the stuttering.

Uninstall Norton or Disable Auto-Protect solves the problem,  (although that is not solving the problem of course)  didn't notice the problem in beta builds

When the is more than one infected file in a folder, even if the folder is just on the desktop, when the folder gets opened and Auto-Protect  checks say the 4 or 5 Malware files and slowly removes them, does seem a little slow,  the time it takes to process them when it is Multiple files is really long until they show up in the History and Quarantine.

Yesterday when checking the GreenAV files (for another thread) when opening the folder, was when I noticed this,  like a 6+ minute wait.

If it is only one file, that is being detected the problem doesn't seem to occur.

For others who can read this Public board and may be having similar symptoms but maybe haven't figured out what's going on 

Quads
Regular Contributor
Wikipedian

Re: Anti-Virus Engine Error & Auto-Protect

Quads wrote:
 noticed it was getting a long boot time for me, a long black screen, then a long black screen with a mouse pointer, Like something was having problems loading, 
Except last night I got an error on shutdown
"ccSvcHst.exe" Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be "read."

Couldn't catch it fast enough dialog error box disappeared, PC continued to shut down, didn't think much of it, It's shut down time for bed.

This Morning booted the PC. got to the black screen and the PC auto rebooted over and over...........................................

I used in the end "Last Known Good Configuration" got in and pulled up a couple of  this mornings errors for the time that Normal Startup (Normal Mode) got stuck 

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7026
Time: 8:11:15 a.m.
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SRTSP
Event Source: SRTSP
Event ID: 5
Time: 8:09:29 a.m.
Description:
Error loading Symantec real time Anti-Virus driver.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 05 00 08 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Also if the user has a Folder with a large amount of folders and files inside, say a download folder, 
When Opened and wanting to scroll down the files it stutters, It's like Auto-Protect is checking all the files contained in the folder when the user opens the folder, but that's causing the stuttering.
Uninstall Norton or Disable Auto-Protect solves the problem,  (although that is not solving the problem of course)  didn't notice the problem in beta builds

When the is more than one infected file in a folder, even if the folder is just on the desktop, when the folder gets opened and Auto-Protect  checks say the 4 or 5 Malware files and slowly removes them, does seem a little slow,  the time it takes to process them when it is Multiple files is really long until they show up in the History and Quarantine.

Yesterday when checking the GreenAV files (for another thread) when opening the folder, was when I noticed this,  like a 6+ minute wait.

If it is only one file, that is being detected the problem doesn't seem to occur.

For others who can read this Public board and may be having similar symptoms but maybe haven't figured out what's going on 

Quads

Try uninstalling NIS, running the NRT at least twice, and reinstalling Norton.

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard --President John F. Kennedy
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Wikipedian wrote: 
 Try uninstalling NIS, running the NRT at least twice, and reinstalling Norton.

I'm Not doing that,  it's useless waste of time as it wasn't while upgrading or changing AV products.  I already a couple of weeks ago used the tool with NIS 

No that's not the point, and the fact that  when every time the above the above problems occurs uninstall reinstall .  It's more a problem that if other users have the Auto-Protect, black screen on startup or an error similar what is the cause.

"Try uninstalling NIS, running the NRT at least twice, and reinstalling Norton." is not the answer that is like  "I have Malware so I will wipe the HD"

I also know about running NRT twice and even in Safe Mode. 

Quads 

Symantec Employee
Garret_Polk

Quads,

I'm not sure what your question is. You have a folder with infected files and Auto-Protect is taking a while to repair them? How many infected files, thousands? When we find an infection we also check the whole system to see if that malware has attached itself to other parts of your system. If you have a lot of different malware in one folder this could take a long time.

Principal Software Engineer
Norton Research Labs
Bot Obliterator
Quads

It was 4 files that were dormant in a desktop folder the rogue was not active on my system and no registry files etc. 

After testing the Rogue for a thread I found a way around it, fairly simple, collected the files for Symantec and sent then kept them waiting to see when Norton detect them.

And No not thousands of files, 4 .exe's that a dormant should not take a long time to process

The problem didn't happen with 2009. 2009 was much fasted at processing than 2010 for the moment

Also "When we find an infection we also check the whole system to see if that malware has attached itself to other parts of your system."   

Not quite like that as I noted some time ago when a poster asked "can Vundo unzip itself?",  if it detects just one file, Norton can stated that there is a browser cache and like 200 registry entries.   But the browser cache and registry entries don't exist, so Norton has not properly checked to come back and state no registry entries 

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=65323#M65323

So even though it's like 1 file and 1 file only, Norton can ask to restart the PC to remove the rest that in actual fact don't exist, So should be able to easily remove a small group of files without struggle or notice that the removal is like it's having to process through half dry concrete.

1. Without struggling on dormant files

2. Without having to restart the PC as they are only a small collection of files in a desktop folder or download folder, not an infected system with Tidserv or W32. Virut.CF.  I could understand the struggle and slowed down in processing with the likes of those beauties.

Quads