Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Qba
Qba

Anti spam

Hello

I experience strange behaviour of anti spam in NIS2008 - messages from users added to my white list may be marked as spam if keyword filter finds match.

I spent few days with customer support without any solution.

One of representatives tried to explain to me that it is correct, but was unable to explain purpose of white list in that case ;)

Anyone of you experienced that? Do you have any solution?

kind regards

Qba

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Re: Anti spam

I believe that is the correct behavior. 

I had the same type of issue when someone who was on my white list sent me a message with a subject line that could well have been interpreted as spam.

Purely conjecture, but since email addresses can be spoofed, the Norton anti-spam engine may be designed to protect against known spam keywords and then override the white list.  You could look at it two ways:  a false positive or a double layer of protection. I prefer the latter.

For me it was no big deal to mark the message as "This is not spam".

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Correct.

Ant spam sees white list stronger than the blacklist 

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Qba
Qba

Thanks for answers.

Marking message as "this is not spam" only moves message to inbox folder and does not affect any future messages from that person.

When receiving about 100 spam messages a day it's hard to track if there are messages important for you.

Please help me understand what is white list for in that case?

Qba

Phil_D

Qba,

In my case when I mark a message as "This is not spam" it is then placed in the white list and those email senders are not marked as spam going forward, unless of course something in the subject line or perhaps even the header triggers the antispam engine.

Is there anything you notice about your "problem messages" that could trigger the spam alert?

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Phil_D wrote:

Qba,

In my case when I mark a message as "This is not spam" it is then placed in the white list and those email senders are not marked as spam going forward, unless of course something in the subject line or perhaps even the header triggers the antispam engine.

Is there anything you notice about your "problem messages" that could trigger the spam alert?

It is the way it really works. There must be something else. 

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Qba
Qba

Of course there are words that can trigger spam alert.

Maybe I explain not clear.

Let's say I set keyword "green" in spam filter and messages with word "green" should be placed in spam folder.

And let's take 2 people - user1@domain.com and user2@domain.com . And let's user1@domain.com add to white list.

And now both sends message to me with word "green"...

What's difference ? According to you both messages should be placed in spam folder?

So what's advantage of placing user1 at white list?

Phil_D

Hi Qba,

The advantage is that if user1@ dom sends a message one time which triggers the spam filter, that user is not relegated to the spam list forever; you have the option to add that person to the white list.

As long as future messages from user1@ dom do not contain spam triggers, then user1@ dom will always come though in the normal fashion.

Qba
Qba

Phil_D

Thank you for explanation, now I understand how it works.