Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
whatmorep
Accepted Solution

Bots

I just received a message from Xfinity saying one of my computers is infected with a Bot.  I run Internet security on all 3 of my computers.  I went to the xfinity bot assistance and it seems like they want me to sign up for services that I feel I either already get thru my Norton products or for products that might conflict with my Norton products. I wonder if this email from Xfinity is something I should be concerned about or is it just an attempt to sell me something?

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Re: Bots

Hello whatmorep

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Xfinity I think is similar to Fios which Verizon offers, but Xfinity is from Comcast. Since we are from Norton and use Norton products here, it may be that Comcast wants you to use there security. Did Xfinity tell you the name of the service? I thought that Comcast offered Comcast Norton Security Suite unless something has changed.

The important thing though is to get your computer cleaned up if you have a Bot. You can start off by running a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes and see if that comes up with anything. It is a  good on demand scanner.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
locquitur

You didn't write whether you had done a full scan with Norton and what the result of that was. Malwarebytes is an excellent on-demand scanner and is useful for a second opinion, but I would also recommened Hitman Pro. Despite it's name there is a free version of the program which, while not being able to clean your PC, may help identify if you have a problem. It's also extremely quick at scanning even though it uses the engines of several anti-virus vendors. You can download it from www.majorgeeks.com/Hitman_Pro_d5283.html (which offers the latest version of the software).
yank
Kudos: 2,158
Solutions: 501

whatmorep wrote:

I just received a message from Xfinity saying one of my computers is infected with a Bot.  I run Internet security on all 3 of my computers.  I went to the xfinity bot assistance and it seems like they want me to sign up for services that I feel I either already get thru my Norton products or for products that might conflict with my Norton products. I wonder if this email from Xfinity is something I should be concerned about or is it just an attempt to sell me something?

First of all, DO NOT PAY for the Xfinity signature service.

Now, What Norton Product are you running?  The commercial version of NIS or the Comcast version of Norton Security Suite (not that it much matters, we just need to know for future reference).  whichever you have installed, enure they are curerent and up to date.  

DO NOT install Constant Guard Protection as suggested by Comcast, nor Immunet. 

Following a full scan by Norton, running MBAM as suggested by Flo is recommended as well as the Malicious Software Removal Tool which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

For others who may be following this thread and are not familiar with the Constant Guard Bot Notification, here is a copy of the email Comcst customers receive when the infamous CG Bot Alert is triggered:

Constant Guard™ Alert

Dear XFINITY Customer,

Your immediate attention is required.

Constant Guard from XFINITY identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a bot. A bot is a malicious form of software that is used to send spam, host a phishing site, or steal your identity by monitoring your keystrokes without your knowledge. It may be possible you are unaware that your computer is infected with a bot.

We strongly recommend you visit XFINITY.com/BotAssistance for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).

We appreciate your prompt attention to this important security notice.

Sincerely,

Constant Guard from XFINITY

I have placed in red the part of that email that most people object to and there has been much discussion as to how Comcast  (Xfinity) can better word and provide more info in their alerts.  "It is being worked on is th eowrd from the Comcst Security Team"., but in the mean time folks have got to go thru some checks and determine if they do in fat have a bot or not....and then the chance always exists thatit may have gone dormant.

If you have checked everything and it all comes up clean, you can contact the follow folks and they shoulod be able to let you know what they detected and how recently they detected the activity.

How to contact the Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department:

Business Hours:M-F, 9:00 am – 11:30 pm EST
S-S, 10:30 am – 6:30 pm ESTContact:(888) 565-4329

You know where to find us if you have any more questions and there are many threads on the Security Board on the Comcast  Forums:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/bd-p/13

Contributor
GDITech

I have customers always getting these Comcast emails. At least 100 in the past year. I tell them to scan with there current av followed up by a scan with MalwareBytes. Then ignore then email. 

Visitor
whatmorep

I am really new to communicating on a forum so I hope everyone that responded gets my thank you.  I will do a complete scan using my Norton Internet Security and then follow up with a malware product.  If nothing is found then I will take the advice and just ignore the message

Thank you everyone!

yank
Kudos: 2,158
Solutions: 501

whatmorep wrote:

I am really new to communicating on a forum so I hope everyone that responded gets my thank you.  I will do a complete scan using my Norton Internet Security and then follow up with a malware product.  If nothing is found then I will take the advice and just ignore the message

Thank you everyone!

As I said before and I will continue to say, I strongly recommend you follow the advise I provided in regards to contacting the
Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department  (after doing the above), especially since it is your first BOT notification and it is important to be sure you are clean. 

Visitor
whatmorep

I am kind of new at this discussion venue and I appreciate your input. 

Thank you again.

Visitor
whatmorep

Thank you for your input.  I did do a full scan followed by malware scan and nothing was found.  I think I may contact Ccomcast/xfinity and ask them specifically when, where and what prompted them to contact me. 

thanks

Visitor
whatmorep

Thank you for your input.  I am using NIS and did a full scan followed by a malware scan and nothing was found so I think the message was an attempt to get me to use their products.

Thanks