Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
SantaFe

CCSVCHST.EXE Problem - running at full CPU

Problem
CCSVCHST.EXE causes a CPU usage of 90-100% and will not go off.  In other words, ccsvchst is running at full CPU utilization.  Fan goes into extreme run mode.  When I shut down the computer and then turn it back on it goes back to CPU usage of 90-100% and will not go off.  This will happen 5 or 6 times in a row.  

The problem seems to be random but it does happen more when going on the internet.
However, this problem only happened when NIS was upgraded to 2012 (19).
No other software has been added except mouse jiggler which I installed to keep the system from going into idle. It seems to help sometimes.  

Things I have tried
I've used Norton Removal Tool and reinstalled NIS.
I have tried to solve the problem by turning Silent Mode ON.  This helped for a while.
I installed mouse jiggler to keep the system from going into idle. It seems to help sometimes.  
I will not reinstall Windows from scratch!  I will buy another product first.

Questions:
Any suggestions?
Is there any way to go back to an older version of NIS?

Hardware and Software Settings
I have a Dell Precision M90 Notebook, Intel Core2 Duo Processor T7200 2.00GHz/667MHz/2 GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMM  
WINDOWS XP PRO version 2002 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

I Run Quick scan every night, a full scan every week and keep mouse jiggler on continously (which I put on only for this problem.

I have Norton Internet Security Version 2012 (19.7.0.9)
My General Settings are as follows:

NORTON TASKS SETTINGS.  Summary
Automatic Resume Delay 20 min  
Automatic Tasks Delay  20 min
Idle Time Optimizer  OFF
Idle Time Optimizer  OFF
Idle Time Out 30 min
Norton Task Notification  OFF
Power Saving Mode  OFF  
Monthly Report  OFF  
Special Offer Notification  OFF
Insight Protection  ON
Norton Community Watch  ON
The Detailed Error Data Collection (Ask Me)
PERFORMANCE MONITORING ON
Performance Alerting ON
Resource Threshold Profile for Alerting  MEDIUM
Use Low Resource Profile On Battery Power  ON
Alert for High-Usage of:
      CPU    ON
      Memory  ON
      Disk  ON
      Handles  ON
Non-Admins Access to Settings OFF
Norton Product Tamper Protection   ON
Settings Password Protection  OFF
Silent Mode  ON
Full Screen Detection  ON
Quiet Mode on Detection of IMAPI 2.0 Disk Burn ON
Media Center TV Recording  ON

Phil_D
Topics: 205
Kudos: 2,525
Solutions: 384

Re: CCSVCHST.EXE Problem - running at full CPU

[ Edited ]

Hello SantaFe and welcome!

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having.  The first question I must ask is if you have any other security program running in realtime.  If so, that can set up conflicts and we should deal with that depending upon your answer.

I understand that you have made some changes in an effort to deal with the problems you experienced, however based upon your description, it appears that your machine never has the opportunity to go into idle mode.  That combined with having Silent Mode turned on would make it difficult for NIS 2012 to perform many background tasks which are generally reserved for when your machine is idle.  I would suggest allowing some idle time so that these tasks can be performed.

You may want to perform a complete uninstall and reinstall even though you have previously run the Norton Removal Tool.  By design, the Norton Removal Tool leaves some files behind in the event the user wishes to reinstall the product.

The preferred approach is to run the native uninstaller before using the NRT.

• Download and Save the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Download and Save the NIS2012 Installer to your desktop.
  • Or, to eliminate a huge number of updates after installation:
  • Go to this page of the Norton Update Center and after selecting Start Download, chose to Save the Norton Download Manager to your desktop. (The advantage of the download manager is that it pulls in the most recent updates during installation.)
  • For temporary protection, turn on your Windows Firewall.
  • PLEASE Export / Backup you Identity Safe Data to a convenient location.
  • Have your product key handy.
  • Uninstall your current Norton Version via Add-Remove Programs or Programs and Features.
  • If prompted, do not select the option to save your settings.  Select "Please remove all user data...." (see image here)
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
  • After the restart, run the Norton Removal Tool.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
  • Right click on the downloaded NIS Installer or Norton Download Manager and select “Run As Administrator” (XP users just double click).
  • If prompted, enter your product key and set up your Norton account.
  • Check that Norton has turned OFF the Windows Firewall.
  • Run Live Update a few times until no more updates are available. Restarts may be required after some of the updates.

For your convenience, I have attached printable instructions.

It is not uncommon for NIS to run a bit more intensive right after installation as it performs some basic tasks and acclimates to your system.  Allowing the computer to be undisturbed for a period of time right after installation can speed this process,

Let us know how you do.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Zone | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

garethg

I am having  the same promlem, CCSVCHST,exe is permanently taking half of my CPU. I have tried the guidance here but it does not help, After Native install followed by reboot the Norton remover, then reinstall I was not asked for the key again so I suspect there is still data left on the computer after removal.

Help - I want control of my pc back. If it goes on much longer without a solution I will be forced to remove Norton permanently (IS 2012)

eaoiceman

I'm having the SAME problem.  It's taking 50% of my CPU and I can't shut it off.

It get's plenty of idle time overnight, every night.  Does a screensaver running count as Idle Time or does it consider that to be something causing an 'active' state?

Was there a recent update to be causing this?  It appears this thread is only a few days old and yet it's growing.

elfands

I have the same problem . Misery!  Doesnt matter how much idle time I give it, how many times I prohibit backups, downloads , housekeeping etc while the pc is in use - Norton STILL hogs all the resources and I am lucky to get a response after 30 seconds to a single keystroke.   THIS REALLY NEEDS FIXING 

Phil_D

SantaFe indicated that the operating system involved is XP Pro SP3.

Could everyone else who has posted the same problem let us know your operating system and service pack?

Also, if you could post a screenshot of the Norton Performance Graph during the periods of high usage, that may be helpful.

Check this link for information on posting screenshots here.

Thanks!

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Zone | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Visitor
SantaFe

Phil,

Thank you for so promply addressing my problem.  The following is an answer to your questions and some more questions of my own.

Phil's question:  The first question I must ask is if you have any other security program running in realtime.  If so, that can set up conflicts and we should deal with that depending upon your answer.

SantaFe's answer:  There are no other security programs running.  2011 NIS has done a great job protecting the system and working properly until NIS 2012.

Phil stated:  I understand that you have made some changes in an effort to deal with the problems you experienced, however based upon your description, it appears that your machine never has the opportunity to go into idle mode.  That combined with having Silent Mode turned on would make it difficult for NIS 2012 to perform many background tasks which are generally reserved for when your machine is idle.  I would suggest allowing some idle time so that these tasks can be performed.

SantaFe comment:  You are correct, I have tried to keep the Dell notebook from going into idle mode.  When it goes into idle mode it also goes to 100% capacity and the fan etc goes into extreme mode.  The sound will drive you crazy and it never leaves 100% capacity no matter what I do.  Shut it down, it comes back at 100% capacity. Last time it happened, it took 6 shutdowns before it would comeback without the 100% capacity.   I put NIS 2012 in silent mode and mouse jiggler on to stop the problem.  That worked for a few days.

Phil stated:  You may want to perform a complete uninstall and reinstall even though you have previously run the Norton Removal Tool.  By design, the Norton Removal Tool leaves some files behind in the event the user wishes to reinstall the product.  

The preferred approach is to run the native uninstaller before using the NRT.
Uninstall your current Norton Version via Add-Remove Programs or Programs and Features.

SantaFe comment: Your webpage states  "Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to remove your Norton product" at
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080828154508EN_EndUs...

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you have pcAnywhere or WinFax, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool.  (It does not say to uninstall NIS by using Add or Remove Programs)

If your real instructions are to uninstall NIS using Add or Remove Programs, I suggest you modify this page to make it Step #1 and make Step #2 Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to remove your Norton product.  

What I did:
I followed your instructons.  First, I Downloaded Norton Download Manager

https://webdl.symantec.com/?SASSERVER=lcdls.symantec.com&LNG=ENG-USA&BINARYTYPE=10&USEDM...

and  Norton Removal Tool to a folder http://norton.com/nrt  
(The instruction on this page should say to first uninstalled NIS via Add-Remove Programs)

I Choose “Run As Administrator” when was given the option.

I Uninstalled NIS 2012 via Add-Remove Programs
Norton uninstall took over and I selected "Remove all user data...."
http://community.norton.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/1883/image-id/7887iF36ADE5E210A63A2

I Restarted the computer.

In safe mode, I ran the Norton Removal Tool.  NRT restarted computer.
In normal mode, I ran the Norton Removal Tool.  NRT restarted computer.
    (I do not know if this was necessary, but another Norton employee recommended it)
In safe mode, I ran the Norton Removal Tool.  NRT restarted computer.
Next, I shut down the computer completely and restarted the computer.

Finally, I ran Norton Download Manager which installed NIS 2012 and it found my product key etc.  All settings were the default settings.  I did NOT put NIS 2012 in silent mode nor did I run mouse jiggler.

What happened after I followed your instructions:

A few hours later, the computer went to 100% capacity with CCSVCHST.EXE being the problem.

Question:

How can I get my old NIS 2011 back?  Do you have a location for NIS 2011 on the norton website?

(I assume I should Uninstalled NIS 2012 via Add-Remove Programs and  Norton Removal Tool before I install NIS 2011.)

Phil_D

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues with NIS 2012.

Let me just clarify that I am not employed by Symantec.  I am just a member here as are you.  In that regard, I will pass along your comments about the NRT webpage.

If you think that NIS 2011 will suit your machine better, here is the direct download link: http://www.norton.com/nis11

Save this to your desktop.

**If you use Identity Safe and have imported all of your logins to NIS 2012, they cannot be re-imported into NIS 2011.  NIS 2012 stores the logins as a .dat file.  NIS 2011 uses a .npm file. In other words, Identity Safe is forward compatible with NIS 2012, but not backward compatible.  However, if you still have an npm backup of your data which you created with NIS 2011, that can be imported into NIS 2011.

"I assume I should Uninstall NIS 2012 via Add-Remove Programs and  Norton Removal Tool before I install NIS 2011" - Yes.

Once NIS 2011 is installed you will have to Run LIve Update numeorus times to get all the updates and to bring you up to version 18.7.1.3.  Restarts will be required.

Let us know how you do.

LDryden

this is also occuring on our computer.  We are running Windows XP SP3.  When i checked the processes running, the ccsvchst.exe was taking up 100% of the cpu.  We rebooted and the problems seems to have resolved itself.  However, if in a few hours the problem is back, then I think Norton has some issues they need to resolve with their latest update.

decherry

I, too, have been having the same problems. However, I only have Dial-Up (cave man, I know) but it did afford me a little luxury, though, in that when I uninstalled/reinstalled it ran fine (no large CPU ccsvchst.exe running) until I downloaded the latest definitions. Sooo, maybe this observation will help determine the cause and solution.

To restate, since I am on dial-up, this makes things exceedingly painful because it affects how firefox runs... and I'm almost frustrated enough to find another security solution.