Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JerryCook

CCSVCHST.EXE

Hi,

I have a serious problem with NIS 2011 and also, after communication with Norton Technical SUpport with NIS 2012. I fnd, using the Windws Task Manager that there are two instances of the process ccsvchst running on my computer. Neither instance has a user name although the problem one only shows up when I "showprocesses from all users.".

The problem uses up to 60% CPU for long periods of time and, under 2011, froze the PC requiring a hard power down to restart.

Anyone got a solution?

Jerry Cook

redale1

Re: CCSVCHST.EXE

I had the same problem recently and a few days after it started my hard drive crashed

Nerimash
Topics: 20
Kudos: 30
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

-del :smileyhappy:

redale1 wrote:

I had the same problem recently and a few days after it started my hard drive crashed

Did you check any hardware problems like dying hdd, bad memory module, etc ? This can cause problems with your PC's software.

JerryCooc wrote:

Hi,

I have a serious problem with NIS 2011 and also, after communication with Norton Technical SUpport with NIS 2012. I fnd, using the Windws Task Manager that there are two instances of the process ccsvchst running on my computer. Neither instance has a user name although the problem one only shows up when I "showprocesses from all users.".

The problem uses up to 60% CPU for long periods of time and, under 2011, froze the PC requiring a hard power down to restart.

Did you check what Norton background tasks are running while you are experiencing high CPU load?(Performance tab-> Norton Tasks)

Visitor
JerryCook

There are not other SYmantec Service running at the time: as I write this CCSCCHST.EXE has again taken over my computer 50% + of CPU and, I suspect, is responsbile for halting the Video Display Driver (which restarted). I am getting deeply frustrated. I have follwed the Norton Techie Advice: it has not solved the problem.

Visitor
JerryCook

Yes, just checked the Norton Performance Tab is shows ccscchst.exe 49% svchost.exe 2% ccsvhst.exe 8% (I dod day there were two instances!)

Visitor
hansen1000

I do have the very same problem - it is not acceptable anymore as seems that CCSVCHST.EXE (although running in the background and scanning files on several hard drives) causes almost permanently "100% Highest Time Active" in the resource monitor of Microsoft Windows. If this signal is this high, the computer almost holds, because the entire CPU time is used for I/O operations (if I am not mistaking).

Any immediate help would be appreciated - thanks much!

Cheers,
Torsten

Visitor
hansen1000

I just stopped (cancelled) the "Idle Full System Scan" in the Norton Task Manager - that was a great help and solved the problem for me - I can use my PC again...

However, I would say that this behavior is not acceptable. Is there something wrong with an update that was recently installed...? I also recognized that the "idle" scanner was scanning old files that have not been changed since years. Wouldn't it be reasonable to only scan files that have not been checked in the past? If this was possible, the number of disk I/O operations could certainly be reduced. Just a thought...

lmacri
Kudos: 735

[ Edited ]

Hi hansen1000:

You may find some helpful information in my post here in PatrickMcCabes' thread Is Norton Slowing Down My Computer?.  It has information on how to configure Norton background idletime tasks and how Norton Insight uses application trust ratings to decide which files are skipped during system scans.

Most Norton background idletime tasks (see Performance | Norton Tasks) are designed to run during system idles and are normally suspended while the user is working on their computer (e.g. as soon as the user moves their mouse or starts typing on their keyboard).  As soon as the system goes back into idle, incomplete idletime scans will resume where they left off until the task is completed (i.e., until the status changes from Cancelled to Complete).

There have been reports of NIS 2012 idletime tasks continuing to run outside of idle mode and causing high CPU usage by the Symantec Service Framework (ccSvcHst.exe) that could only be solved with a clean re-install of the Norton product using the Norton Removal Tool  - see instructions here for NIS in BugOutMachine's thread NIS 2012 - Optimization Function WIll Not Stop Running.

A common cause of high CPU usage by ccSvcHst.exe outside of idle mode happens when users try to run more than one security program on their computer in real-time protection mode (e.g., NIS plus one of AVG Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc.).  This sometimes causes the heuristic detection in your Norton product to "wake up" and constantly monitor the other security program, resulting in high CPU usage by ccSvcHst.exe.  Symantec recommends that users never run other security software in real-time protection mode at the same as their Norton product, although the occasional on-demand manual scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, etc., should not cause a problem.

--------------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

lmacri
Kudos: 735

JerryCook wrote:

Yes, just checked the Norton Performance Tab is shows ccscchst.exe 49% svchost.exe 2% ccsvhst.exe 8% (I dod day there were two instances!)

Hi JerryCook:

Just to let you know, it's normal to sometimes see two different threads for ccSvcHst.exe running on your computer - see Symantec employee reese_anschultz's comments here in Atomic_Blast's thread Problem With ccSvcHst Using Too Much CPU.

ccSvcHst Process.jpg

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Visitor
hansen1000

Hi Imacri,

You may find some helpful information in my post here in PatrickMcCabes' thread Is Norton Slowing Down My Computer?.  It has information on how to configure Norton background idletime tasks and how Norton Insight uses application trust ratings to decide which files are skipped during system scans.

Most Norton background idletime tasks (see Performance | Norton Tasks) are designed to run during system idles and are normally suspended while the user is working on their computer (e.g. as soon as the user moves their mouse or starts typing on their keyboard).  As soon as the system goes back into idle, incomplete idletime scans will resume where they left off until the task is completed (i.e., until the status changes from Cancelled to Complete).

There have been reports of NIS 2012 idletime tasks continuing to run outside of idle mode and causing high CPU usage by the Symantec Service Framework (ccSvcHst.exe) that could only be solved with a clean re-install of the Norton product using the Norton Removal Tool  - see instructions here for NIS in BugOutMachine's thread NIS 2012 - Optimization Function WIll Not Stop Running.

--------------