Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
dbrzostowski

CPU usage high when idle

[ Edited ]

Is anyone else noticing high cpu usage for NIS 2009 when your computer goes idle?  when i turn the computer on and come back to it later, my vista bubbles screensaver is very slow to respond and then norton shows that the cpu is running very high.  the computer is very unresponsive and the only way to fix this is to reboot.  i've noticed that when i turn the idle scan time to 30min. that it helps, as i can walk away from the computer longer and come back within 30min. and the computer is fine.  so i'm thinking that the problem starts when norton or the computer goes to idle.  i've attached some pics that show the high cpu usage begins at idle.  i have the auto-protect set for early load as well.  any help would be awesome.....  thanks, d

fyi-i'm running pentium 4ht with 2gb ram, vista home premium sp1; tried using norton chat support...they deleted temp files, asked me to do a cleanup and defrag, uninstalled/reinstalled....these haven't worked; in the past i also got the error message "issue 8920, 200" but after uninstall/reinstall this seems to have stopped for now.

high cpu usage

cpu during idle

Message Edited by dbrzostowski on 09-25-2008 11:48 AM
TomiRed
Topics: 86
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 27

Re: CPU usage high when idle

Your issue is not universal, I have practically the same system except that my processor is Core 2 Duo. The logs of your NIS ar in the NortonInstaller folder in Program Files, but I can't locate the thread where there are instructions where and how to send them. So, I guess, just wait for a Symantec employee to come here...
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Symantec Employee
athena

Hi there,

In NAV/NIS 2009 we have introduced the idle time scheduler. This means that Norton will perform its background tasks (like scanning and getting the latest updates) when your PC is idle. This may explain why you see high Norton CPU usage when you are away from your PC  and the background task is running. Once you come back to your system, your system is not idle anymore, hence the Norton CPU usage related to background tasks should be reduced. Does this explain what happens to your PC?

Can you check your Security History to see what, if any, background task was running?

Thanks

Dora Karali
Sr. Product Manager

Symantec Corporation

Regular Visitor
dbrzostowski

Hi Dora,

Thanks for writing with some ideas as to what may be happening.  As you described, the Norton CPU usage should be reduced, but I'm not finding that that is the case.  Unfortunately, when I come back to my computer and the computer is no longer idle, the high CPU usage continues. 

Next time this happens I will certainly double check the security history to try to narrow down if this is related to a specific background task.  I'll post my findings when this happens again. 

As a side note, unfortunately I haven't received a response from the email support in over a week.  Should expect a response from them soon?  Or maybe they have dropped my case? 

Thanks,

Dan

Contributor
agmns

[ Edited ]

I am having almost the same problem with 1 of 6 laptops I have NIS 2009 installed on.  CPU usage for System goes to 100% and Norton varies between 83 and 97%.  Task manager shows ccSvcHst.exe as the program using these high cpu values. Also the memory usage for ccSvcHst.exe shows 142,302k  ... huge compared to anything else on the system

This does not occur only when the system has been idle.  It occurs during normal use ... typing display slows in Office so that the words appear 2 or 3 behind the typing.  Outlook takes forever to open e-mails.  IE takes a long time to open.  In general the entire system slows to a point it is unusable.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the Norton Removal Tool as well as full manual uninstall thru the registry etc and also used  the complete uninstall option doing an add/remove programs uninstall.

Message Edited by agmns on 10-01-2008 07:09 AM
Symantec Employee
MikeO

dbrzostowski,

Try turning off "Compressed File Scanning" via the options dialog.  Click on "Settings" (on the main Norton dialog, with the CPU meter), then "Computer Settings", then set "Compressed File Scanning" to "Off".

Let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Contributor
agmns

Mike as I noted in my post this situation is occuring without the computer being idle.   Do you think that turning off scan within compressed files is the solution in this case as well.

Regular Visitor
dbrzostowski

hey mike,

turned off the compressed file scan and let my computer run for a while (couple hours) without touching it.  unfortunately the same problem happened.  when i got back to the computer the cpu usage was the same...system-100; norton-99. 

i tried to check the history to figure out what background process, if any, was running around the time it went wrong.  it was unclear since many of them ran in the time when i stepped away and let the computer run.  the ones that did run are... automatic live update, idle quick scan, norton community watch, pulse updates, norton insight scan, norton insight submission. 

after thinking abuot agmns's comment as well.....i remembered that last week this problem occured when burning a dvd.  can't imagine the computer was idle when burning a dvd.  but not sure what requirements need to be met for norton's idle processes to kick in.

dan

Regular Visitor
dbrzostowski

just turned off the early load of the auto-protect.  my computer sat for hours and resumed from idle just fine....i'll let you know if this continues. 
Rootkit Eradicator

dbrzostowski wrote:
just turned off the early load of the auto-protect.  my computer sat for hours and resumed from idle just fine....i'll let you know if this continues. 

Turning this Off does reduce your Protection somewhat.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]