Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
ukbobboy

Caishow - "Hard to get rid of" Adware

Forum Members

I have aquired a dispicable piece of adware called "Caishow" and, unfortunately,  I can't get rid of it, every time I think it is gone it comes back.

I believe I got this adware by installing a download utility for my Internet Explorer 8, once I realised that I was infected I disabled the utility and ran several clean up apps, i.e. NIS quick scan, Spybot, Ad Aware, Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware and MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Out of all my security apps only Spybot identified the adware, and claimed to delete it, Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware found something (a .dll) and deleted that but "Caishow" keeps coming back.

I have searched the Internet for another method for getting rid of this adware but it would mean editing my windows registry, something I really do not want to try.

Therefore, does anyone know of a utility of software that can effectively auto delete this adware without wrecking my windows registry.

UK Bob

PS. my O/S is Windows XP Pro SP3 

Tech83
Topics: 57
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 27

Re: Caishow - "Hard to get rid of" Adware

Hi! UK Bob,

Please tell us that only your Norton product's real-time scanner is active & the other security programs you have are configured only for on-demand use. Have you disabled System Restore? Try running the scans in Safe Mode.

I'm sure someone will be along to provide you with sites dedicated to malware removal.

Tech83
peterweb
Kudos: 1,458
Solutions: 365

Did you run your scans in Safe Mode? That is the best way to allow the scanners to do their work.

If that did not work, try Norton Power Eraser found here

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
ukbobboy

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, I will answer each reply in turn:

Tech83 

Norton Internet Security is, on my PC, the only real time scanner the others are set for "on demand" use only.

As for system restore, it is still active though for some reason I could not access it properly - I'm guessing that this is something to do with the malware infection.

peterweb 

I must admit, I have not tried to get rid of this piece of rubbish by going into "safe mode".  I will download the "Power Eraser" now and hold it as a last resort, but the next time I tackle this problem I will go into "safe mode" first.

I will report back on how I got on.

UK Bob 

MagnusLindh
Topics: 9
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 5

Hey

You can also try the Security program Superantispyware, you can find it here.

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Its a good program to remove Spyware and Adware.

Sweman

Contributor
ukbobboy

Hi Guys

I promised to get back to you and let you know how I got on with trying to get rid of that piece of nastyware, caishow. First of all, I am using WinXP SP3 as my O/S with IE8.0 as my infected browser.

1) I tried to go into "safe mode" but, for some reason, my PC would not access it.

2) I read that I could delete/remove the BHO which infected my IE8.0, ie. the ANT Downloader, however when going through all the BHOs I found that none of them could be deleted only disabled.

3) I tried to use "Norton Power Eraser" but all that could see was "winword.exe", which is my MS Word97 word processor. 

Now the next thing I am going to try is Superantispyware.

So, at the moment I'm still infected with Caishow but I have not given up trying to get rid of it.

If Superantispyware does not work then I will try and find a BHO deletion utility.

UK Bob 

MagnusLindh
Topics: 9
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 5

Hey again.

You can also try Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Sweman

Bot Obliterator
Quads

How are you trying to get to Safe Mode?? And what happen when Safe Mode tries to load.

Quads

Contributor
ukbobboy

Hi Guys

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions, every successful suggestion made or solution given helps to keep these malware writers (and their malware) at bay.

1) Sweman 

I installed and used SUPERAntiSpyware, a nice and effective anti-spyware app, but it could not find caishow, however it did find a coupon/voucher printer I had installed sometime ago and forgot about, that is now gone.

I had SUPERAntiSpyware in the past but never used it but this time I will add it to my arsenal of protective apps.

There is only one small problem with SUPERAntiSpyware and that is it will load itself into your computer memory, at windows stratup, regardless of it's setting but I have a "startup control" utility that takes care of that little problem.

As for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I already use it (as mentioned in my first post). 

2) Quads

Safe mode, on bootup you press F8 repeatedly until the DOS-like menu options appear, safe mode being one of them, then highlight the option you want then press return.

However, in my case, pressing return on the highlighted "safe mode" caused no reaction, ie. nothing happened.

Still, that's not the end of the world, I will still keep looking for a solution.  Unfortunately though, in my case "solution" means finding a utility or application that can do the job and not trying to amend my windows registry.

I guess that if I could find a utility that can manage and delete BHOs then I could get rid of this adware that is now embedded within my IE8.0.

Can anyone suggest , and have used, a BHO management utility? 

Please note, IE8.0 is not my only browser, I also use the latest versions of Opera and Firefox.

UK Bob

Bot Obliterator
Quads

1.  Download OTL   hxxp://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe   (change the hxxp to http) save it to your Desktop.

Double click on OTL.exe to run it.  Right click OTL.exe and select run as administator for Vista and Win 7.

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 60 days
Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.

Post back the  log OTL.txt (attach)

2.  Download AswMBR  hxxp://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.htm (change the hxxp to http) 

Run the scan, with definitions if it asks, But do not have it fix anything when it is finished Just  create a log and also attach.

I just want the logs for information of what I may need to remove, also on wondering if Safe Mode will need to be repaired first or after.

Quads