Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
benchi
Accepted Solution

Can I use Norton to check if a file I want to download is "safe" for use?

Hi. I have a question I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

Can I use Norton to check if a file I want to download and use, is really "safe" for use?

Here's my case. I want to download an application from a particular site. It's a tool created by another user of said site. And it's being used by several other users. It provides cool and needed functionality for the users of the site. However it's not a product of the site itself (which I trust), but from a user that I do not know, that apparently also is on that site. My concern is that although this tool provides grreat functionality to its users, and lots of other users are using it,  .... I'm concerned it could be like a trojan or somehting. Pretending and providing cool and great functionality to its users, but in the background spying on personal inforamtion.

Is there anyway I can use Norton to check if this app/tool is really safe?

Or can Norton (company) investigate this particular app/tool? 

Hope someone can help.

Thx

Contributor
ITTechSS

Re: Can I use Norton to check if a file I want to download is "safe" for use?

Norton will not tell you this till the file has been downloaded. The best thing you can do is add on Virustotal to your browser. Now you will be able to right click on the file and submit it to Virustotal.

http://www.virustotal.com/advanced.html

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,68724-page,1-c,antivirus/description.html

Its better do use this both are same but if u are a bit lazey:smileywink:

its better

Downloading files using browser is better as download intelligence checks them

Virus total does not give 100% gurantee none can

Midou

Contributor
ITTechSS

VTU requires that you already downloaded the file. He needs to know before you download it nothing in this world is 100% secure. Not even Norton.

Contributor
Swapnilrustagi

Norton AntiVirus 2010, Norton AntiVirus 2011, Norton Internet Security 2010, Norton Internet Security 2011, Norton 360 v4.0 and Norton 360 v4.0 Premier Edition have a feature known as Download Insight which tells you if a download is safe. And even if you have a previous Norton Product, Norton will always block Viruses, Spyware, Adware and Trojans which means that if the file tries to perform malicious activities, it will automatically be block.

So, having a current Norton subscription and virus definitions means you don't need to worry.

Contributor
Swapnilrustagi

Hey, ITTechSS why are you saying that Norton is not the most secure. Only Norton provides equivalent protection on both WinXP and Windows 7. It is the top fee-based AntiVirus. If you want proof see this - http://www.av-test.org/certifications.php

Visitor
benchi

"...He needs to know before you download it..."

Hi ITTechSS. Thx for your reply. I would indeed feel saver if I could check it before I download it,... but I suppose if I need to downlaod it, and then heve Norton check it out,... and if then it turns out to be something bad, but Norton will take care of it,... warn me, fix it, delete it, eliminate it, ... I suppose is also good enough. Thanks again.

AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

ITTechSS wrote:

VTU requires that you already downloaded the file. He needs to know before you download it nothing in this world is 100% secure. Not even Norton.

Hi Folks,

This statement is correct and it is important to know that there are no 100% guarantees. Norton does provide top of the line protection and are consistently rate at the top of the list compared to other companies but sometimes something can slip through and that is particularly true if a user gives "permission" for something to run or what have you.

Nothing replaces the need for due diligence and safe surfing habits.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

[ Edited ]

benchi wrote:

"...He needs to know before you download it..."

Hi ITTechSS. Thx for your reply. I would indeed feel saver if I could check it before I download it,... but I suppose if I need to downlaod it, and then heve Norton check it out,... and if then it turns out to be something bad, but Norton will take care of it,... warn me, fix it, delete it, eliminate it, ... I suppose is also good enough. Thanks again.

HI benchi,

Just to expand a bit on your concerns. Download Insight is designed to check files you download as they are being downloaded and provide a pop up notice from NIS to indicate if the file is safe. This should pop up at the end of the download provided you are using a supported portal such as IE.

If you are downloading through some other method other than a supported portal then NIS auto-protect will still check out the file when you attempt to run it and will provide a warning to you asking for a decision if NIS detects that the file is not safe or is questionable.

More on supported download portals: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Download-Insight/m-p/289454/hi...

If you still have doubt and think the file might be infected then you can submit the file to Threat Expert.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Threat-Expert-for-malware-submission/...

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Hi benchi,

Also you should be aware that Norton Download Insight rates a file based on its reputation.  So you will likely get a warning about this program if you download it, since it is not in wide circulation and little is known about it.  So, the file could trigger an alert based on this, and yet still be a safe file to run.  The only way to be sure about the file would be to download it and scan it, and possilby upload it to VirusTotal to see if other AV programs detect any threats.