Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Mcbutters

Can't connect to internet after installation NIS 2011

I bought a 3 user license and the first computer works fine. I installed on the second computer and it won't access the internet and it won't run the update because of this.

What do I need to do to resolve this issue? I've tried to uninstall and reinstall a few times and have had no luck.

Thanks.

PC_confused
Topics: 117
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27

Re: Can't connect to internet after installation NIS 2011

Hello Mcbutters and welcome to the Community.  I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem and I hope we can get your problem solved shortly.  Would you mind answering a few questions first?  Did you purchase that three PC license from a reputable store?  I've read some post where people purchased what they thought was a 3 PC license and and found out that all of them were already used.  Have you logged into "mynortonaccount.com" to see what your account shows?  Do you still have the key code, that should have come with your licenses?  If everything seems correct and you still need help, you might want to contact the On-Line Chat service and see if they can help.  If you would, come back and let us know how things work out..

Visitor
Mcbutters

I bought the product from ebay. Not sure if the seller is reputable or not. They got positive reviews, but who knows.

The first key seemed to install fine and I just checked mynortonaccount.com and it has an expiration date of sep 2012, which is when I installed, so I assume the product key checks out?

I'll contact the online chat later and see if they can help. Thanks.

Super Contributor
Viscon

Ah well... same happened to me couple of years ago, bought a 3PC licence for 3 years that turned out to be invalid after some time.

I mean the product, NIS2010 as far as I remember, seemed to work fine with all updates etc. but I couldn't validate it on mynortonaccount, so I called Symantec support and a woman there checked my licence to be invalid.

She asked me to send a receipt of my purchase and when I did it, she kindly gave me a new valid licence key which works till now.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe -- Intel Core i5-3570K
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8Gb
AMD Radeon HD6850 (Asus EAH6850)
PC_confused
Topics: 117
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27

While you were logged into your Norton Account, it should have shown you how many activations you had left on that license.  Hopefully that On-Line Chat service will be able to help you somehow.  Good luck.. 

lmacri
Kudos: 635

[ Edited ]

Hi McButters:

When you say that you can't connect to the Internet, do you mean that you've lost the ability to browse the Internet completely on your second PC or are you just having trouble connecting to the Symantec servers to run a LiveUpdate?  Normally after you install NIS on a computer you have a 15 day trial period before NIS stops working.  Some of my suggestions below may be of no assistance if you can't use the Internet at all.

If you check your subscription status from the main NIS GUI (Support | Subscription Status) does it also report that your subscription is valid until Sept 2012?  When I check the subscription status on my NIS 2011 installation it tells me that I have 100 days left on my subscription and that I purchased a 3-PC licence.

When I log into my Norton Account here's what my subscription status looks like.  The person who sold you NIS on e-Bay might have used up the other available installations, or you may have used your product activation key more than once while uninstalling/re-installing NIS. If this is the case then Norton Customer service can probably help you via chat as PC_Confused suggested..

Norton Installs.jpg

If your subscription is valid and appears to allow more than one installation, try resetting your NIS Smart Firewall on the probem PC. Go to Settings | Network Settings | Smart Firewall | Advanced Settings and click the Configure link beside Advanced Settings.  When the Advanced Settings Window opens, click the Reset link beside Firewall Reset.

And if possible, try running One Click Support (Support | Get Support) to see if an online support session can detect any common problems with your installation or Internet connection.  For now just ignore One Click Support if it asks you if you want to upgrade to the new NIS 2012 and just let the support session run to completion.

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

lmacri

Hi McButters:

Forgot to ask, but did you activate your NIS 2011 on both computers?  Entering your product activation key on one computer does not mean that you actually activated NIS 2011 on the second computer.

If you purchased a legitimate 3-PC version of NIS on e-Bay, you should see a link or button that says Activate Now on the main NIS GUI on the problem computer.  Once you follow the instructions and enter your product activation key you should be able to start downloading LiveUpdates.  This will leave you with one remaining installation (activation) for your license and the subscription status at the bottom of your main NIS GUI should report that you have approx. one year remaining on your subscription on both computers.

NIS Subscription Status.jpg

---------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Visitor
Mcbutters

Hi Imacri,

When I say I can't connect. I mean, the second computer is unable to access the internet on any browser and cannot update the NIS install. I checked the internet connection on two other laptops with all three simultaneously and they were able to access the web. The third one has a different IS suite.

I did check the subscription status, per the picture you copied and it looks like I have no available installs. I assume that if I bought a 3 user license, that it should say 2 available? I will have to talk to the seller if that is the case.

I still don't understand why it would prevent me from accessing the web, even if I had no installs left. I would imagine that it would tell me that I had x number of days left (via trial) or however it is stated.

Like you suggested. I also reset all the firewall settings and turned some off. I've installed and reinstalled three times and it didn't work, so I gave up and uninstalled the whole thing.

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Mcbutters wrote:

When I say I can't connect. I mean, the second computer is unable to access the internet on any browser and cannot update the NIS install. I checked the internet connection on two other laptops with all three simultaneously and they were able to access the web. The third one has a different IS suite.

I did check the subscription status, per the picture you copied and it looks like I have no available installs.

Hi Mcbutters:
We might still be able to provide some assistance if you'd like to take another shot at this.
When you say "the third one has a different IS suite" do you mean that the problem laptop has other security software (e.g., AVG Free, McAfee, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc.) installed on it?  If you have other security software running in real-time protection mode, it could mistake your NIS installation as a malware attack because of the rapid disk read/writes and registry changes and corrupt your NIS installation.  There may also be some sort of conflict with your firewall if NIS Smart Firewall and another firewall product are trying to run simultaneously.  If you want to install NIS 2011 on your laptop it's best to uninstall all other third-party security software (or at least disable the real-time protection and/or firewall in your third-party security software) - you don't have to worry about the Windows firewall because NIS 2011 will automatically disable this firewall before it activates the NIS Smart Firewall.
It's also (very) remotely possible that the brand of network adapter in your third computer is the problem.  There is a known issue with one brand of adapter that is not compatible with NIS 2012 (starts with an "A" but for the life of me I can't remember the brand off the top of my head) so you may want to open the Windows Device Manager and see if the brand of the dial-up modem or network adapter in your problem laptop is different from your other two computers.
And the term "available Installs" in your Norton Account is a bit deceiving.  It's not the number of computers you've installed your product on, it's the number of times you've used your production activation key to activate an installation.  So if you wipe the Norton file off your hard drive that stores your NIS 2011 product activation key (e.g., if you re-format your hard drive) you'll have to use up one of your installs (activations) when you re-install NIS on the same computer.  If this ever happens Norton Customer Support is usually pretty good about giving you credit back for the "lost" available install.
If you've installed NIS 2011 on 2 PCs successfully and you purchased a legitimate 3-PC version of NIS on eBay you should still have 1 "available install" in your Norton Account. I'd use the chat link provided in a previous post to get this straightened out.  And if you expand the information for your NIS 2011 registration in your Norton Account, it might display the exact dates of when you used each "install".  Maybe someone who has actually used more than one install on their licence can tell you if this is correct.
Norton Installs More Info.jpg
For future reference, you might want to check out the warning here about a recent increase in the number of bogus NIS licences being sold on on eBay. There are links on how to report to Symantec if Norton Customer Support confirms that you've purchased a pirated version of NIS.
Regardless, simply installing NIS on your laptop should not prevent you from browsing on the Internet.

lmacri

[ Edited ]

Hi Mcbutters:

Further to my previous post, the brand of network adapter I was trying to recall was an Atheros  wireless network adapter (see Symantec employee mahiarch's post here).  Even if you don't have an Atheros adapter in your problem PC, you might want to see if an update is available for the driver for any of your network adapter(s).  You can run an inital check from the Windows Device Manager.

Update Network Adapter.jpg

----------