Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Tenholder42

Can't get rid of ads by Browse to Save

Not sure how I got the virus, but I can't get rid of it. I'm on IE 9. Any ideas?

Contributor
Dimension

Re: Can't get rid of ads by Browse to Save

Several ways to do this. No doubt others will come in and direct you differently. Your choice.

When you get one of the adds there should be a link "l" to their website. On their website there should be a tab to uninstall.

(I havent checked this myself but this was the last info I had on this).If that doesnt work let me know if you care to.

Visitor
Tenholder42

I tried that earlier and it didn't appear to work, so I tried a bunch of other things and now the ads seem to be gone, although not sure exactly what I did to have that happen. I did uninstall IE9, though. Is there a way to check to see if the ads are actually completely gone?

Contributor
Dimension

Not that I know. Why not keep this thread open for a few days. That way, if it returns you can post for more help. Otherwise when it is time I believe you can mark the thread as solved.

Visitor
Tenholder42

It doesn't appear that they are completely gone. The ads will pop up on random words (If you hover over certain words, the ad will be shown). The words like that are blue, and I just had it happen. However, when I went back to the exact same spot where the word I saw was, it was no longer blue and the ad was no longer there.

Contributor
Dimension

I would suggest downloading and running AdwCleaner. You can obtain this from downloads from BleepingComputer.com.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,443
Solutions: 360

I would suggest a scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
Tenholder42

I used the free version of malware bytes and ran a scan and removed all of those. That was when the ads had disappeared. I'm going to download a different malware tool and try it, then I'll download an adware tool and try it. Would this problem go away completely if I simply restored my computer to factory settings?

Contributor
Dimension

Tenholder42 wrote:

I used the free version of malware bytes and ran a scan and removed all of those. That was when the ads had disappeared. I'm going to download a different malware tool and try it, then I'll download an adware tool and try it. Would this problem go away completely if I simply restored my computer to factory settings?

What did Malwarebytes find? It would go away if restored because this is not a rootkit infection but I would not suggest this action in this case because Browse to Save is very basic and can be easily removed. Anyway it seems from what you said that the ads had disappeared after malwarebytes. There are staged procedures which cope with different variants. You only carried out the first stage I suggested.

Looks like you are following the instructions from the Guru, so not to confuse matters I will say goodluck and bye.

Visitor
Tenholder42

Dimension wrote:
What did Malwarebytes find? It would go away if restored because this is not a rootkit infection but I would not suggest this action in this case because Browse to Save is very basic and can be easily removed. Anyway it seems from what you said that the ads had disappeared after malwarebytes. There are staged procedures which cope with different variants. You only carried out the first stage I suggested.

Looks like you are following the instructions from the Guru, so not to confuse matters I will say goodluck and bye.

I'm trying both ways. Malwarebytes found over 20 threats, and I removed them all. I downloaded the adware tool so I can use it once this new scan from malwarebytes finishes up (wanna see if new threats are there now). I also downloaded a PC Utility Kit too. I'll post once the scans get done. Adware scan should happen somewhat soon.