Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
JackPanix

Re: Can't remove Norton.

That link opens the start page, where you choose your version.  I click on the "I have a Norton 2009 product" and go to the download page, but the ftp link won't open for me.

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

Are you behind a proxy in your internet connection?  If so, then enter the proxy details in the Miscellaneous Settings > Network Proxy settings.  Or you may need to enable FTP in your router.
Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
Virus Trouncer
mijcar

JackPanix wrote:

My trial version is due to expire soon and I'd like to remove my Norton Internet Security as well.  Problem is I'm not sure if it's 2008 or 2009.  My version number is 16.5.0.135.  Anyone know what removal tool I should download to uninstall this version?

Something is strange here.  If you ran the NRT on this machine, then it should also have removed NIS.  NRT is nondiscrimanating in its activity.  It will remove all Norton products. As far as I know,the NRT's for older products are the same as the ones for current products.

If you are talking about a different machine, then move the NRT from the other machine to this machine with a memory stick.

But before using NRT, I'd recommend you first use ADD/REMOVE to remove NIS; then if you want, go ahead and run NRT.

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

As far as I know,the NRT's for older products are the same as the ones for current products.

There are two NRTs depending on the Operating System - Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe and Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. If you have old Norton products(Norton 2005 or earlier versions) installed in Windows ME/98, you have to use the first one - Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe and this cannot be run in Safe mode; where as the new one - Norton_Removal_Tool.exe can be used only in Windows Vista/XP/2000 (and probably for Windows 7 in future).

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

yogesh_mohan wrote:

As far as I know,the NRT's for older products are the same as the ones for current products.

There are two NRTs depending on the Operating System - Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe and Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. If you have old Norton products(Norton 2005 or earlier versions) installed in Windows ME/98, you have to use the first one - Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe and this cannot be run in Safe mode; where as the new one - Norton_Removal_Tool.exe can be used only in Windows Vista/XP/2000 (and probably for Windows 7 in future).

Good to know that; but for the poster and all XP/Vista users, there's only one tool, right?

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
dbrisendine

Correct; only one tool for the current version and XP or newer OS.
floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,025
Solutions: 361

Hi

There are different removal tools depending on the year of the product and the product itself as can be seen on this page.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=9...

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

JackPanix

dbrisendine wrote:
Are you behind a proxy in your internet connection?  If so, then enter the proxy details in the Miscellaneous Settings > Network Proxy settings.  Or you may need to enable FTP in your router.

That must have been the problem.  I don't know what the university's proxy settings are.  However, I was able to download it once I got home.

Should I use Add/Remove programs first or just use the NRT to uninstall Norton?  You recommend rebooting to safe mode before running the NRT?

BTW, I'm running Vista x64 SP2.

dbrisendine

Public access in most Universities will have FTP blocked. 

I would boot into Safe Mode and run NRT once and reboot to safe mode and rerun again.  After that, delete any folders that are named Symantec or Norton.  Before deleting, change the options so you can view hidden files and folders (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View and apply to all ).

JackPanix

dbrisendine wrote:

Public access in most Universities will have FTP blocked. 

I would boot into Safe Mode and run NRT once and reboot to safe mode and rerun again.  After that, delete any folders that are named Symantec or Norton.  Before deleting, change the options so you can view hidden files and folders (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View and apply to all ).

Thanks for your help.  I've successfully uninstalled Norton and am now running my new security software.