Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
fishman

Can't send outgoing email

I have vista with Windows mail.  Norton internet Security 2010 is installed and updated.  It has just started not letting emails get sent out.  I receive incoming emails fine and if I turn off Norton scanning of outgoing emails they go out fine but I would like to have stuff scanned if I could.  Any help would be appreciated.   Almost forgot the error message that norton pops up is "unable to be sent because connection to your mail server was interrupted".  I don't get that if scanning is off. Thanks again for your help.

Regular Contributor
Mathew_Issac

Re: Can't send outgoing email

Please provide us the error number you are receiving along with the error message.

fishman

no error number.  At the top of the Norton pop up is a big red circle with and X inside  and the words Email Error.

Regular Contributor
Mathew_Issac

Are you receiving this message while sending any attachments

Email Client and version.  Outlook/ outlook express

Whether this issue happened recently.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello fishman

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Can you please tell us what email ports you are using? Are you having this problem with an email program like outlook or outlook express? Are you using a web based email?

Usually Norton doesn't stop emails from going out unless they have malware in them. Norton usually passes along the message from the ISP or mail server.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

fishman

I'm not sure what a email port is.  I am using Windows mail.  When I turn off scanning for outgoing email it works fine.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello fishman

You have to find out from your ISP what firewall ports need to be set up for your email to work. The standard ports are 25 and 110. If you have to use different ports, then Norton doesn't scan the emails. I don't think that Norton would block your emails unless your emails are compromised.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Norton sometimes just passes on information with regard to the ISP.  If the outgoing port has been changed by the ISP, Norton would advise of connectivity problems.  It would block it if the port to be used was incorrect in Norton.

If you go into the settings>program control>double click on the rule that applies to your mail program, Two firewall rules should pop up.  If you click on one and then click on modify, you will see aseries of tabs.  One of the tabs should be communications.  It may be in that tab, or the next one, that may specify the port number used.  Once, as floplot suggested, you check with your ISP for any changes, you can make them for both rules.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
fishman

I talked with the isp and they said nothing has changed.  If the email can be sent with Norton scanner turned off I don't see how it could be the ISP anyway.  It has to be with the antivirus software.  I have tried sending email that just say the word "test" so I know it doesn't have a virus or anything( unless norton really missed something bigtime).

Regular Contributor
Mathew_Issac

Norton AntiVirus includes Email Protection. Email Protection is an extra layer of protection that scans the incoming and the outgoing email. To do this job, Email Protection is placed between your email program and the ISP. If the ISP rejects an outgoing email immediately, Norton AntiVirus carries the message. But the message is really from the ISP. Since you have disabled outgoing email scanning, your outgoing email will no longer be scanned, Norton AntiVirus Email Protection continues to protect your computer by scanning the incoming email.