Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
mitchflorida

Can't stop notification pop-ups from appearing

I have gone into settings and removed all of the various notifications and interruptions from Norton Anti Virus.  I keep getting an annoying pop up that says the program has finished a scan and has found no problems.

I see this pop up at least twice a day, every day.  How can I get rid of this notification?  Which setting because there are several notification settings.   Thanks!

(I did not have this problem with the 2011 version of NAV.  It never interruped me with a scan notice.)

Symantec Employee
umaiselvi

Re: Can't stop notification pop-ups from appearing

[ Edited ]

Hi mitchflorida,

Please try this.

Settings--> Miscellaneous Settings --> Norton Task Notification. Turn off this option.

When this option is turned on, Norton Antivirus shows the notification to inform you about the background tasks that are running like Idle Time Scans, Automatic LiveUpdate, and Insight Optimizer.. When this option is turned off, Norton Antivirus does not notify you about any background tasks.

Turning off this option does not affect the execution of automatic background tasks in any way.

Thanks,

Umai

Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Settings--> Miscellaneous Settings --> Norton Task Notification. Turn off this option."

That doesn't help, still get those notifications. I think that is a bug. 

senthilkumar
Kudos: 254
Solutions: 108

Hi,

You cannot disable all the popups, its by design , user should know the status e.g.  idlescan complete

1.You can only delay the idle time tasks' start time to 30 minutes (tops). So you will get these popups only if you leave your PC for at minimum 30 minutes

Thanks,

Senthil

Contributor
mitchflorida

I have to disagree with you.  If I set my NAV for "No Notifications"  it should give me no notifications or pop ups.  I don't lke to be intterupted with meaningless messages that I have no threats found, three times a day.

I also bought this version 2012 of NAV because the previous version had absolutely no pop ups unless there was a problem or threat found.  

I think this is a design flaw, and am less than satisfied with the answers given.

The other sugggestion given by Norton didn't work and didn't stop the pop-ups. 

senthilkumar

Hi,

You canfind useful info here.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/disable-Norton-Popups/m-p/234839#M32636

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Senthil

Contributor
mitchflorida

Is there anyone in authority at Norton Anti-Virus  that can tell me how to get rid of the notification pop ups?

So far I have gotten two different answers from Symantic here, both contradicting themselves.

The previous version did not have the pop ups, and I don't want to disable the scan feature.  

Thank you in advance.

senthilkumar

Hi,

Sorry. I misundersood. Some of the popups (which I mentioned below), I  didn't find  any settings to turnoff.

Popup.JPGBut we can use following settings to turn off  notification for Idle time scans,Automatic LiveUpdate, and Insight Optimizer

Go to NIS main UI->General tab->Norton tasks-> Turn off Norton task notification using togggle button.

if this is not working then there might be a problem

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks,

Senthil

Contributor

That is good that NIS/NAV give pop-up about unsafe items, restart computer etc even if the notifications would be taken off. But i still get those idle scan etc messages every time. So there is a problem.
Contributor
mitchflorida

There seems be a problem as the scan notices keep appearing even though the "Norton Task Notification"  is set to off.