Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
geek47

Re: Can't stop notification pop-ups from appearing

Craig-123 has a good point ... quarterly meetings to commemorate how long Symantec is taking to fix this problem.

On November 9, 2011, LynnH (Symantec Employee) stated: "...We have identified the issue and have a fix for it. However, the fix was not part of the latest release, but we are working to make it part of an upcomming major release...."

Perhaps Symantec can set our expectations on how many quarterly meetings we should plan. Please tell us if we must wait for NIS2013 to be released (usually around September) in order for this problem to be fixed, or if there is a "major release" planned for NIS2012 that will resolve this problem.

Right now, all we know is that an "upcoming major release" will fix this problem .... we have no idea if that major release will happen before NIS2013.

Symantec:  you have to admit that "upcoming major release" is rather vague ... how about some clarification? Will this problem be fixed before NIS2013???

Contributor
Craig-123

Hmmnnn: still not fixed.

Free MSE is now #2 and it emphasizes unobtrusiveness, so I suspect we'll soon see major changes in NIS and Symantec design philosophy. Since MSE only integrates with Internet Explorer (which I also find annoying and am loath to use), I'll at least wait through the rest of my current NIS subscription for the overhaul.

Hang in there, everyone,

Craig

Contributor
geek47

Agreed that MSE is changing the market.

Would be nice if Symantec would address the known bugs reported by customers in a more timely manner. Most likely, it's a resource allocation issue. I suspect that Symantec will now be putting a majority of their resources into addressing the flaws that resulted in the recent theft of their source code.

I agree that protecting their source code is more important than fixing minor bugs. However, if I were part of the NIS management team, (1) I would want to know why the flaws that resulted in the theft were not discovered and fixed a long time ago (this was not the first time source code was stolen), and (2) I would address the potential loss of customer confidence by describing the actions that will be taken to insure that this problem will not happen again (how about encrypting source code so that even if it is stolen, a decryption key would be needed to read it).

We may not see the notification pop-up problem (described in this thread) resolved until NIS2013 (if then).

Contributor
vienna10

if anything, the problem seems to be worse than before. After the last update on my older XP notebook, the message "starting quick scan" appeared while I was trying to negotiate to some files in explorer. This was about half an hour after the restart.

I hadn't noticed this on my W7 machines

dickevans

vienna10 wrote:

if anything, the problem seems to be worse than before. After the last update on my older XP notebook, the message "starting quick scan" appeared while I was trying to negotiate to some files in explorer. This was about half an hour after the restart.

I hadn't noticed this on my W7 machines

Hi,

Some of the notifications cannot be eliminated. If you're getting different results between the computers you might want to verify that they have their settings matched.

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Super Spam Squasher
ALiasEX

geek47 wrote:

I suspect that Symantec will now be putting a majority of their resources into addressing the flaws that resulted in the recent theft of their source code.

Apparently the theft happened in 2006.
Contributor
mitchflorida

I just spoke  someone at Norton directly and was  told that this issue will be fixed by the end of this year.  And if it isn't fixed by the end of the year, it will be fixed in 2013 at the latest.

Patience.

Contributor
vienna10

What I had actually meant that the pop-up message appeared whilst I was doing some work. Normally, the message appears when I start working after sime idle time

Contributor
geek47

@ALiasEX:

>Apparently the theft happened in 2006.

Thanks. I finally saw an article that explained the theft's timeline (and, as you said, it was 2006 versions of source code that was stolen). So, if the theft took place in 2006, then (hopefully) we can assume that by now Symantec has already plugged all the holes that allowed the theft to occur .... and now they can devote resources to fixing known issues reported by customers (such as providing an option to supress the annoying pop-ups that tell us a scan was completed and nothing bad was found).

@mitchflorida:

>I just spoke  someone at Norton directly and was  told that this issue will be fixed by the end of this year.  And if it isn't fixed by the end of the year, it will be fixed in 2013 at the latest.

I hope we do not have to wait until the end of 2012 or 2013 for Symantec to resolve the problem of anoying pop-ups that state nothing is wrong.

All that is needed is the User Interface code to configure a new option to enable/disable the option of displaying these pop-ups that say nothing was found, the definition of a boolean variable to hold the status of this option (enabled or disabled), and (just prior to displaying the pop-up) code would need to be inserted to test the boolean variable and display the pop-up only if the option is enabled. This is not rocket science; it is very simple code to write. Yes, the code would then have to go through Testing and Quality Assurance .... but it's been four months since this bug was reported to Symantec, and two months since LynnH (Symantec Employee) stated: "...We have identified the issue and have a fix for it. However, the fix was not part of the latest release, but we are working to make it part of an upcomming major release...."

Apparently, the fix has been developed ... but we must wait for a "major release". Not sure why such a simple fix needs to wait for a major release ... especially if the next "major release" is going to be the release of NIS2013 (which usually happens in the fall).

If we have to wait for a "major release", then it would be nice to know if there will be a major release for NIS2012, or if we have to wait for NIS2013 (which I assume qualifies as a "major release") for this issue to be fixed.

@vienna10:

>What I had actually meant that the pop-up message appeared whilst I was doing some work. Normally, the message appears when I start working after sime idle time

Same thing happens to me ... sometimes the pop-up will occur immediately after I return from idle time and start working, but at other times a minute or two will elapse (after I have returned from idle time and started working) before the pop-up occurs. The timing of when the pop-up is displayed may depend upon what other activities/work NIS has to perform when one returns from idle time.

Bottom line, I just do not want to see a pop-up if no problems were found during a scan ... it breaks ones concentration to attend to a pop-up, so pop-ups should be reserved for actionable items.

@Symantec:

Displaying pop-ups should be reserved for actionable issues. To continually (many times per day) display a pop-up that is not actionable (i.e., that says no trouble found in the scan) will only serve to condition your customers to ignore pop-ups and dismiss them without fully reading them. That can result in customers getting complacent about NIS pop-ups and mistakenly dismissing pop-ups that do have actionable information.

Please quickly implement an option to enable/disable pop-ups that merely state no problems were found with a scan.

I know that you are not allowd to give us specific dates ... but can you at least tell us if the fix for this issue (i.e., an option to enable/disable pop-ups that state no problem was found after a scan) will be available before NIS2013 is released .... or must we wait for NIS2013 (or even later) for this issue to be resolved.

Contributor
mitchflorida

This issue was not resolved by the new "update".