Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
boothbaybruce

Can't uninstall liveupdate cleanly

I think I've gotten rid of all of the symantec stuff on my PC except liveupdate doesn't think so...  WHen I try and uninstall liveupdate, it says something along the lines of  "we've detected that you still have some products that use live update installed, are you sure you want to remove it?".

Before I say "yes, I really want to get rid of it", I'd like to find out what it thinks I still have installed.

How do I do that?

Thanks!

Bruce

huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,819
Solutions: 375

Re: Can't uninstall liveupdate cleanly

How did you "get rid of" all the Symantec stuff?

Norton has special tools for this but if you had the free-sanding LiveUpdate in the Control Panel I think you must have had some really old stuff installed.

Could you tell us what you had and how you removed it ..... Include at least the year with the names if not the version.

What version of Windows are you using?

Hugh
Visitor
boothbaybruce

I "got rid of it" the "normal way" = control panel add/remove programs.  I can't say for sure exactly what versions etc of what products were installed.  Most likely that it was an older corporate version of NAV.

Perhaps a better question is "how does liveupdate uninstall check whether there are other products installed that might use it"?  specific file names and/or registry keeps would be a big help...

Bruce

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Hi boothbaybruce,

You could try running Belarc Advisor.  It might tell you if there are any Symantec programs still on the system.  If this was a corporate product that you removed you might want to post in the corporate forums.  Some of the older products could be stubborn about removal.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,819
Solutions: 375

[ Edited ]

boothbaybruce wrote:

I "got rid of it" the "normal way" = control panel add/remove programs.  I can't say for sure exactly what versions etc of what products were installed.  Most likely that it was an older corporate version of NAV.

Perhaps a better question is "how does liveupdate uninstall check whether there are other products installed that might use it"?  specific file names and/or registry keeps would be a big help...

Bruce

The "normal way" with security programs, not just Norton, leaves a lot of stuff around and that's why the special tools exist. I have a link to a website with some 40 different security products listed with links to instructions and tools for them!

I suggest you run the Norton Removal Tool as below and then see if uninstalling the Symantec LiveUpdate Module (if you are referring to the one in Control Panel) complains.

The reason I asked about the Norton programs and their versions is the the Norton Removal Tool does not remove all Norton programs and might not remove some older ones. You'll just have to try.

However if it is an Enterprise version then you need to contact the support for those which is not in these Forums but

http://www.symantec.com/connect/

I'm still puzzled -- do you see any Norton programs listed in the Uninstall Programs module of Windows? Have you ever used the Norton OnLine Security Scan which I believe may leave a module behind?

This link Symantec Norton Removal Tool. will direct you to the older Symantec Norton Removal Tool. Run it a couple of times with a restart after each run.

Please let us know how you get on or if you have any queries ....

Hugh