Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
clb
clb

Cannot launch my Norton Internet Security 2010 as of last week with 38 days left??

When clicking the icon for my NIS 2010 a large blank white space (like 5" x 8") appears on the screen.  When clicking the shortcut on the desktop, it does not launch.  This is just happened recently.  And about the same time, my monitor is acting up like it is in the sleep mode.  Not sure if I have a virus or what is going on.  I cannot get Live Update to run either.  I'm confused by the large white space on the screen.  My laptop works great when clicking on the NIS icon just like it should and I've had to switch out my monitor with my older monitor.  Can anyone help as to the large white space?  I've run the Bootable Recovery Tool and nothing seems to help.  Thanks to anyone out there!

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

Re: Cannot launch my Norton Internet Security 2010 as of last week with 38 days left??

Since malware often tries to block security applications it would seem a good idea to run the two free programs:

Malwarebyte

Superantispyware

I'm assuming of course that you can effectively and safely access the internet if necessary on a different computer.

Download and install the free versions since they do all you need by running on command, not in the background. Be careful that you do chose the free versions.

See what they show up -- after you install one, run its update to make sure it is fully uptodate in definitions.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hugh
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Re: Cannot launch my Norton Internet Security 2010 as of last week with 38 days left??

Hello cib

If the malware is blocking those sites, here are the alternate sites to get the same free programs.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Here is a free on demand antimalware scanner. It is safe to use on demand with your Norton product.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Here is another site you can use to get the program.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

The download button is on the right hand side. Please be careful not to download Spyware Doctor which is on the left side. Also, please don't forget to update the program each time before use of it. In fact you can update it every day just in case some malware may prevent you from updating it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.