Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
NSA1964

Cannot remove System Security Suite 2012

I've tried numerous methods to remove this virus (I think that's what it is), including various standalone Norton removal tools. All to no avail. The one tool (NPE.exe) stated it removed 18 threats. Then, running it again, it removed 5 more. But the real threat still exists: System Security Suite 2012, which reposts numerous Trojan horses and bad processes, but is in fact the only real threat on the computer.

Any help?

lmacri
Kudos: 536

Re: Cannot remove System Security Suite 2012

[ Edited ]

Hi NSA1964:

Welcome to the Norton forum.

Could you please post back and let us know details about your Windows OS and the exact version of your Norton product (Support | About).  I'm not exactly sure if you mean that you have a Norton security product that came pre-installed on your computer (e.g., Norton 360, Norton Internet Security 2012) that is detecting Trojans and other malware on your system.

The heuristic detection in Norton products like Norton Internet Security 2012 sometimes simply identify "suspicious" software on your system and give it a generic name like Trojan.ADH.2 (see oldsojer's post here for one example) if the malware is a low threat or is relatively new.  If you have a working Norton product on your system, perform a full system scan (Scan Now | Full System Scan) to see if it can delete or quaratine the malware on your system.

If you think you have malware on your system that the Norton Power Eraser is unable to remove, try downloading and running the free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) scanner.  MBAM may find some old registry entries and PUPs (potentially unwanted programs), which are usually just inert files on your hard drive left over from uninstalled toolbars, etc. and shouldn't be cause for great concern.

--------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 7.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

A user on Bleeping also has System Security Suite 2012.  It appears to be a rogue AV, probably with a  rootkit in behind.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426455.html/page__p__2464459__hl__system+security+suite+...

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
lmacri
Kudos: 536

[ Edited ]

Hi NSA1964:

Do the screen shots here for the  System Security 2012 Trojan here look familiar?  If so, I would install and update MBAM, disconnect from the Internet, and run full system scan with MBAM as soon as possible.  If that doesn't remove this malware, I would immediately post in the WhatTheTech Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum here or the BleepingComputer Security forum here as soon as possible and let a malware removal expert take you through the required steps to remove this malware from your system.  Pick one forum to post in - I've used the WhatTheTech forum myself and thought it was excellent, but both forums come highly recommended.

---------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 7.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Same FakeAV family as OpenCloud Security with it's ability to block file names and types.

Quads