Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
latinmidi57
Accepted Solution

Cursor moving on it's own

Hi,

My computer was left ON overnight…  with permanent connection to Internet.

First thing I see in the morning that the screen saver has been deactivated and the mouse cursor is moving around on its own.

Immediately disconnect from my DSL  Internet  connection.

NIS running and up to date. All scans show NO problems. Run system scan = Nothing found.

Cntrl+Alt+Del == No obvious, suspicious services running, at first glance.

Does anybody think, my PC was being hacked, or anything alike??

Can someone connect, inspect or remote control my PC, bypassing NIS ??

It’s dazzling me and very worrying as I have bank and other sensitive data in a file inside my system.

Many thanks, for any help or comments.

Tony

Contributor
Chris101

Re: Cursor moving on it's own

I'm no computer expert, however, it sounds as though your computer may have been compromised.  For future reference, don't leave your computer on each night.  If you do, or even when turning off, make sure you set your Norton Firewall to block all network access until system restart. 

Contributor
TheRyanable

There are several programs that allow remote access to a computer, even Windows itself. But with all these programs, the system's admin must approve it. So if you didn't approve anything like that, it's time to start looking through things. If someone installed a viewer program, they'd have had to allow itto bypass Norton, too.

First, I'd change all your passwords. It's always fun to do that...

Also, check to see if there are any programs installed that you don't recognize.

You might want to password protect that file you're talking about, too.

It could be something as simple as a glitch with the mouse. But to be on the safe side, I'd start with the options above.

Contributor
TheRyanable

Chris101 wrote:

I'm no computer expert, however, it sounds as though your computer may have been compromised.  For future reference, don't leave your computer on each night.  If you do, or even when turning off, make sure you set your Norton Firewall to block all network access until system restart. 

I don't agree this 100%. It's not a security risk to leave a system on overnight, even with a web browser open (so long as you trust anyone else with physical access to the machine). I leave my machines on at all times, even overnight, and I've never been comprised. But I also have a variety of strong passwords and, obviously, Norton.

Super Keylogger Crusher
mattsegers

Hi,

Was the mouse moving around in any sort of coherent fasion? That is, did it look as if it was someone USING the pc?

examples of coherency would be:

Mouse moving towards specific folder(s)

Clicking on specific folders

Accessing the start menu/run/my documents etc.

I have seen plenty of mouse glitches before, where the cursor simply moves across the screen in a single direction, generally in a straight line (vertically, horizontally or diagonally). I'm not sure what causes them, although it probably has something to do with uneven surfaces and small inaccuracies in the mouse itself (don't want to go into detail now)

Anyway, just keep your eyes open for anything on your pc that seems overly strange. I would say it's probably a mouse glitch/defect, but don't take my word for it :)

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
- Mark Twain
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

There are all sorts of simple explanations for this.  Is it a wireless mouse?  If so do you get the same behavior when using a wired mouse?  If wireless, are the batteries fresh?  Google is your friend.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

Only a very stupid hacker would let you see the cursor moving around.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.

Tony, a couple serious questions.

What happened when you disconnected the internet, did the cursor stop or keep moving?

Does anyone that you don't completly trust have physical access to your system?

Please look under Settings > Signatures to exclude from all detections

Is anything listed there?

Also turn off remote desktop, you didn't say what version of windows your running but look under Control panel > System.

Dave

Contributor
latinmidi57

Thank you all for your comments.

I now tend to think that it must have being somme sort of issue with the mouse... It did not moved on to executing any app, open any folder... just moved like if it was browsing around the left bottom area of the screen.

Like someone said: it would need to be a very stupid hacker to let me see haow he moves the cursor !!

I've done somplete system scans with NIS and Spyware and nothing was found. 

I have another two laptops sharing the same Internet connection with not strange issues.

Someone, somewhere in Google says he experiencied sommething like it due to bright sunlight !!!

i lve in a 300 year old, self contain house in Spain... Lots of sunshine !! and, by the way, lots of ghosting tales !!!

I've protected the folder with the bank details anyway and cheked that my still has the same 25 EUR balance.

Jokes apart, I was worried and I'm still wondering. Very strange.

Contributor
TheRyanable

I'm leaning toward a glitchy mouse.

Protecting the folder with the sensitive info was your best bet. You shouldn't have much to worry about now, but keep an eye on things for any suspicious behavior. Again, leaving a computer on overnight does not expose your system to any more threats than wearing a different pair of shoes would.

Take care.