Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
bzzb
Accepted Solution

Deleting older versions of Java

Today my NIS 2011 virus scanner found and quarantined a virus called Trojan.ByteVerify.  In researching it a bit I find that I should probably delete all old versions of Java -- only keep the most recent one.  I had two programs listed for Java in Add/Remove other than the current version.  They were Java 6 update 15 and Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 15 (64-bit).  I got rid of Java 6 update 15 but got the "Publisher Unknown" message for the Development Kit:

Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?

Program Name:  C:\Windows\Installer\23c59.msi

Publisher:  Unknown

File Origin:  Hard drive on this computer

Program Location:  Update

Sun Microsystems, Inc.

English (United States)

C:\Windows\Installer\23c59.msi

Does anyone know if this is okay to go ahead and uninstall?

Regular Contributor
swarnava

Re: Deleting older versions of Java

Look at 2nd post of this thread

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Trojan-Byte-Virus/m-p/378350/highligh...

follow those site which was mentioned
Keylogger Crusher
siliconman01

You are significantly out of date with the Java software.  Java is up to build 23.  You should remove all old versions of Java and install build 23 as per the link below.  I'm assuming that your system is 64-bit.  You do not need the SE development kit unless you are programmer/developer.  You only need the JRE version installed for java for your 32-bit/64-bit browers.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

__Dell XPS 8700 SE with 24 gbytes RAM, Intel i7 4770 3.4 ghz, Win 8.1.1x64 Pro, 256 mSata SSD and dual 240 gbyte SSDs, cable modem, ASUS router, 2 terabyte WD My Cloud external drive, dual monitors. NIS 2014(now testing Norton Security), HostsMan V4.4.101, SWB, SAS Pro V6.0 (NR), MBAM 2.0 (NR) , Casper V8.0 Backup, Sticky Password V7, MS Office 2013 Business (local). Also use Surface Pro 8.1.1 tablet.
Contributor
bzzb

Yes, thank you.  I do have build 23 already.  I have already removed the older version.  I guess my question was why, when I went to remove the SE development kit, I got the message that indicated that it was from an unknown publisher.  I was afraid that if I proceeded with the uninstall I might be unleashing something I don't want.  It does seem like sometimes legitimate programs have that message though, so do you think I can go ahead and uninstall?

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,054
Solutions: 367

Hello bzzb

I would go ahead and uninstall that one also. When you d/led it, it may have been so new that it didn't have the publisher listed yet. After you delete it, you can do a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes to double check that you are then clear.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Please let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
bzzb

I already use Malwarebytes so I will uninstall the Java Development Kit and then run a scan.  How do I post the results?  Cut and paste?

floplot

Hello bzzb

Please save the log in notepad. Then you can use the add attachment feature right below the Post Message box. Thanks.

Contributor
bzzb

Hi, floplot.  I removed Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 15 and then ran a Malwarebytes full scan.  A copy of my log is attached.

floplot

Hello bzzb

It looks like the earlier posters to this thread were in a hurry to read thru the thread and missed that you said you also had the current version of Java installed, but had not deleted some of the older ones.

Today my NIS 2011 virus scanner found and quarantined a virus called Trojan.ByteVerify.  In researching it a bit I find that I should probably delete all old versions of Java -- only keep the most recent one.  I had two programs listed for Java in Add/Remove other than the current version.  They were Java 6 update 15 and Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 15 (64-bit).  I got rid of Java 6 update 15 but got the "Publisher Unknown" message for the Development Kit:

I noticed that you said you had the current version so therefore not behind in not having the current version.  It looks like you are cleaned up now  I think you are good to go now.

One other thing you can do to help keep Java clean and that is to go to the Java applet in control panel and go to temporary files and uncheck keep temporary files on my computer. Then you can clean out the temp files in Java also. When you use Java, it will stlil load up what you need for your programs to run, but it may slow you down a couple of seconds while it loads up the necessary Java files for your program.. It will be a tad slower, but safer in the long run. Thanks.

PC_confused
Topics: 120
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 28

[ Edited ]

bzzb - I don't know if you would find a use for this or not, but here is a LINK to Secunia's Online Software Inspector (OSI) that SendOfJive directed me to when I was having a problem.  It will scan your PC and let you know if you have software programs that are out of date and recommends where to download the newest versions.  If you find any value with the OSI program, you might also want to try their PSI program.  The PSI program does require you to download the program, where the OSI program does not require a download.  Using the OSI program, I found five old copies of Java that I thought were removed with the newer versions.