Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Tkdalumni
Accepted Solution

Desktop Security 2010 Virus

Hi Guys-

I have Norton AntiVirus 2010 w/ AntiSpyware and I still managed to get the title virus.  i ran another scan on the computer, but the program is still there :/  I googled some removal tips, but they seem to be a little suspect.  Are there any other option I can use through Norton or otherwise?

T.I.A.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,956
Solutions: 293

Re: Desktop Security 2010 Virus

Hi Tkdalumni:

This link will take you to removal instructions on www.bleepingcomputer.com.  It is a free malware removal forum.  If you have difficulty with the instructions, you will be able to get assistance from them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-desktop-security-2010

This kind of infection changes so rapidly that it is difficult for the antivirus developers to keep up with it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
Tkdalumni

I appreciate the quick response...I'll give it a shot and report back!

Visitor
Tkdalumni

Worked like a charm!  Thanks again!

Now any tips to prevent this from happening again?

delphinium
Kudos: 2,956
Solutions: 293

Because of the nature of the beast, these infections change rapidly and are often picked up as the result of clicking on a malicious link in a perfectly respectable webpage.  Using Firefox with the NoScript add-on is very helpful at blocking scripts on a page until you allow it, and it is now connected to WOT, McAfee Site Adviser, and Webmaster Site Info.

Make sure that your browsers are kept updated and secure.  IE8 has the Smart Screen Filter to warn you of malicious sites.

Never click on a malicious looking popup to close it.  It is designed so that no matter where you click, it gets downloaded.  Use Alt F4.

I think that malware has become so prolific and so profitable that we are all going to have some kind of infection at some point in time, no matter how careful we are.  It has now become more important to know what to do about it, than to prevent it. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain