Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
tenofhearts12

Difference between 3 user license and 1 user 3 pc license.

Sorry, can't find the answer to this anywhere. I know a 3 user license allows 3 different people to use the product on 3 different computers so does a 1 user 3 pc license mean it has to be installed on 3 pcs at one central location (home) or could I install a 1 user 3 pc license on 3 different computers in 3 different cities?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor
artfreak

Re: Difference between 3 user license and 1 user 3 pc license.

[ Edited ]

Hi here is a link to a similiar question I asked: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/When-renew-2010-what-does-1-user-pack...

I take it to mean the one user 3 pc is one household prob one ip address. For pc's outside your home I think it needs to be a multiple user stated package license.

More info: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Subscription-Problem-Asking-for-a-VER...

AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

[ Edited ]

Hi tenofhearts12,

Welcome to the forum. The multi-license consumer packages are only valid in a single household. I am not aware of any consumer packages which cover multi-household.

This might be available in a corporate license but not a consumer license.

If you can provide a link to the license agreement from which you purchased this I can provide more detail. Did you purchase direct from Symantec or through a 3rd party vendor?

But in short, a 3 user license applies only to a single household. This specific post by a Symantec employess (this comes from the thread that artfreak posted but links to a specific post within that thread) gives a very clear definition of what defines a single household.

The IP address does not matter as long as it is a single household as defined above.

Hope this helps.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Regular Contributor
artfreak

Allen: thank you for correcting my reply ...if I could delete it I would. I need to watch what I reply too.

The two terminology the poster mentions are confusing but are the same then.

AllenM

[ Edited ]

Hi artfreak,

Please don't think anything about it. Licensing terms can indeed be very confusing because of the wording.

All that "legal speak", you know! :smileywink:

You provided very good links for reference.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
tenofhearts12

Thanks everyone for their response. I have different vendors (Kaspersky for one) advertise a 3 USER license to where myself and 2 others split the cost and installed on 3 different pcs in 3 different households. This was the basis for my question when you see a license for 1 User 3 PCS.

You pay more for a 1 User 3 pcs or a 3 user license as opposed to a single user, single pc license so I guess I don't see why it would matter onto which 3 pcs the product was installed.

Thanks!!

Super Spam Squasher
mo

Maybe the wording is vague so you can do it (use it on 3 pcs outside a house hold) but they don't want everyone to try it? I think money is money you buy the 3 pc licenses maybe your relative can not afford a good security suite and lives in another town so I think it would be in Symantecs interest to allow using them outside the single home use.But keep it in the family so to speak...:smileywink:

just my thoughts

Cheers Mo
XP home,SP3
NIS2012
huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,815
Solutions: 375

tenofhearts12 wrote:

[ ... ]

You pay more for a 1 User 3 pcs or a 3 user license as opposed to a single user, single pc license so I guess I don't see why it would matter onto which 3 pcs the product was installed.

Thanks!!

Norton has posted a message dealing with this but I don't have a link to it.

In general regardless of the which manufacturer it is, the terms of the EULA should be the defining terms for the licence you use the product under (you buy a licence and the software media but not the software itself)

Norton's explanation has been that you can use the 3 PC licence (not 3 User) on 3 different PCs in one "Household" -- in the real world that could be any number of users if it was a large family -- and "Household" would in practice include say a laptop used by a child of the family even if away in college.

But the practical limiting factor is that all three installations are activated in the same account with ONE email address and the same password. So if you were to decide that your Household included your best mate living in TImbuctoo you would have allow him to use your email address and password.

But let's remember that sometimes we don't want to ask too many questions or we may not like the answers we get but definitely the cost sharing situation you mention would be illicit use of the product as defined in the terms of the licence.

Hugh
AllenM

[ Edited ]

HI tenofhearts12,

I appreciate your views on this but I can only go by what Symantec has indicated in various posts through the months and on the wording of the EULA. The EULA does state single household and the link I provided above had a definition of single household by a Symantec employee.

I most definitely tend to agree with Huwyngr assesment of the laptop scenario. I think the official place of residence would become the determining factor. If my partner has a laptop which he occasionally takes to a different location, the license does not suddenly become invalid just because he is temporarily away at college or in some internet cafe. If his place of permanent residence changed then we would be obliged to have separate licenses.

Bottom line is that all 3 share a single user account as Huwyngr also mentioned above. So first of all, do you really want multiple people having your account information?

And even if you are OK with this, it does not change the definition of single household. However we define household, 3 different homes in 3 different cities clearly does not meet the defition of single household.

I don't know this for sure but I think that perhaps Symantec came up with this multi-computer/single household concept because the idea was to secure a shared network environment - e.g., your home network, even if that has mutiple computers. Someone living in a different location clearly does not share that home network and are therefore not covered under the single license. Again this part is just my guess as to the rationale behind it.

You can feel free to contact Customer Service to inquire further.

In the end Symantec is the only ones who can give you the final word on any licensing questions. All I can do is provide what has been stated by Symantec before. :smileywink:

Hope this helps.

Allen

Super Spam Squasher
mo

Great point Hugh.

Cheers Mo
XP home,SP3
NIS2012