Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
ThrillVille808

Disc Optimization

Approximately how long does this process take? I did a full computer scan and my comp been running for roughly 12 hrs now. 9 hours on disc optimization. Do I wait, skip, or am I missing something?

Visitor
ThrillVille808

Re: Disc Optimization

Help please!!

dickevans

ThrillVille808

That sounds like a veeeery long time to be running. I'm thinking that it must be a very big disk and that you have it packed and this is the first time you are running the utility. I'm also assuming that the HDD activity light is at least blinking.

If none of these assumptions fits your situation then I'd guess that the utility is stuck for some reason. In which case it might be time to abort the process and let the program say that you did so that you don't corrupt any files. Then I'd reboot and report back with some more information so we can provide better assistance

Operating system, service pack, updates? All current?

Disk size and amount of free space. Amount of RAM - you know the usual list of parameters for the hardware and software so we know what we're dealing with.

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 379

Which Norton Product are you using? Could you also look under Support / About and give us the Version ID which is a string of numbers looking like nn.nn.nn.nnn  where n is a number .....

Hugh
Contributor
blakeny1

i dontuse the norton pc tunup or disc opto i use tunup utilitiese which i think is more  better than the norton tunup it fixes broken short cuts  icons  disks etc

huwyngr

blakeny1 wrote:

i dontuse the norton pc tunup or disc opto i use tunup utilitiese which i think is more  better than the norton tunup it fixes broken short cuts  icons  disks etc

Sorry but could you clarify that a bit -- it does not seem to relate to this thread about a problem with the disk optimization feature, in Norton Internet Securities I imagine.

Hugh
Contributor
blakeny1

[ Edited ]

sorry.. i  use a product called tuneup utilitilities2011  instead of  using the norton pc tuneup.optimization  it does a wonderfull job at optomizing and has added features  that the norton pc tuneup does not have...

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,164

Note that Norton Disk Optimization simply leverages the built in Windows Defragmentation utility. Agreed there are 3rd party ones which are better. One important thing is that if a 3rd party utility is used for this, ensure that the Idle Time Optimizer in Norton is turned OFF.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

And, if your system disk is a Solid State Drive, you should make sure the Optimizer is never run on it. Defragmenting an SSD shortens its life span and is of no performance benefit.

huwyngr

Well how much optimization / defragging matters is debatable these days with modern large drives and file systems.

Windows 7 itself automatically defrags at scheduled times. Although the default is in the middle of the night, I believe it does it when you next start up the computer.

Hugh