Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
lmacri
Kudos: 535

Re: Download Intelligence not working

[ Edited ]

GreyGhost wrote:

I can no longer play video with either Firefox or IE. They continually ask me to install Flash even though it is installed.

Hi GreyGhost:

Regarding your Adobe Flash problem, you might be able to fix the problem with a clean re-install of Adobe Flash 11.1.102.55 (both IE Active-X and NPAPI non-IE plugin versions).  Since you have Win XP SP3, I've provided links for the 32-bit versions of Flash.

First, check your Flash installation here on the Adobe web site from both your IE and Firefox browser.  If your Flash isn't working in one or both browsers or you don't have the latest Flash v. 11.1.102.55, do the following:

1. Download the 32-bit Adobe Flash v. 11.1.102.55 ActiveX installer for IE from the FileHippo site here.  Download the 32-bit Adobe Flash v. 11.1.102.55 NPAPI (non-IE) plugin for Firefox here. Save the installation files to your hard drive and do not run the installation from your browser (see note below).
  2. Download the Adobe Flash Uninstall Utility here.
  3. Close all browsers and instant messenger software and uninstall Adobe Flash from the Windows Control Panel | Add Remove Programs (both ActiveX and Plugin versions)
  4. Run the Adobe Flash Uninstall Utility to clean out remnants of any old installation
  5. Re-boot your PC
  6. Run the Adobe Flash Uninstall Utility again for good measure
  7. Close all browsers and instant messenger software and install both Adobe Flash installers from the Windows Run command (Start | Run).
  8. Check your new Flash installation here from both IE and Firefox.

Note:  Be sure to download the latest stable version of your Adobe Flash installers (currently v. 11.1.102.55) and not a later beta test version.  For users requiring the 64-bit versions of Adobe Flash, the 64-bit Active-X version for IE v. 11.1.102.55 is here, while the 64-bit NPAPI plugin for Firefox and other non-IE browsers is here.

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Contributor
GreyGhost

Imacri,

I gave your instructions a go, and guess what?

IT WORKS !!  Thank you very much !!

lmacri
Kudos: 535

[ Edited ]

Hi GreyGhost:

Glad to hear your Adobe Flash is working again.

I occasionally scan my PC with Secunia PSI to check for security leaks and I was constantly getting warnings about having out-of-date or insecure Adobe Flash and/or Java installations on my system.  I've just gotten in the habit of always performing a clean re-install of both my Adobe Flash and Java every time an update is released to make sure that orphaned files and registry entries from the old installations are removed and web sites aren't tricked into thinking that I'm using out-of-date browser plugins.

If you're interested, Secunia also has an online OSI scanner here so that you don't have to install their PSI software on your computer to run a security scan, but OSI requires that you have the Java plugins installed in your browser.  And if you ever have problems with your Java plugins, I've posted instructions here on how to get a clean re-install of Java using the free Revo Uninstaller.

-----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS