11-01-2010 07:01 PM
In the "Notification Area Icons" window, there are 2 "Symantec Service Framework" icons.
The first "Symantec Service Framework" is right at the start while the second "Symantec Service Framework" icon is in the middle of the list after Action Centre icon (see attached screenshot)
I think the reason for the duplicate is I upgraded NIS 2010 to NIS 2011 yesterday. I installed NIS 2011 on top of NIS 2010. The reason of the upgrade was to address a different issue as per the link:
How can I remove the duplicate "Symantec Service Framework" icon in "Notification Area Icons" window ?
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-01-2010 07:04 PM
11-01-2010 07:50 PM
The icons can be a bit odd sometimes depending on the system. I think there are two because there are two components in Norton; system and user. I found the easiest way to deal with it is to set one of the icons to "show" and the other to "hide." I still have two Symantec Service Frameworks, but only one has an icon now. It seems to clear up with a few updates.
11-01-2010 08:02 PM
Rebooting did not help. I did it again and I am still getting a duplicate "Symantec Service Framework" icon in "Notification Area Icons".
I think, in my case, it is due to installing NIS2011 over NIS2010. Not unless, every NIS computer has the duplicate.
Is there a way to remove the duplicate?
11-02-2010 02:03 AM
11-02-2010 05:11 AM
I don't think there is a problem (or it's a minor windows issue) all the 64 pc's here have 2 icons showing in notification but only one actually shows. this was the case with 2010 and 2011. I just show the top top one.
11-02-2010 07:07 AM
11-02-2010 07:16 AM
As Delphinium mentioned earlier this does not cause a functional problem. As long as NIS is operating normally and is showing secure then having two icons will not hurt anything.
I would recommend simply hiding one of them by selecting "Hide Icons and Notifications" from the drop down list.
Also to make sure, did you run Live Update after installing NIS 2011?
11-02-2010 11:20 AM
Thank you all for your inputs.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
Choose your product:
• I have a Norton product that was purchased from my service provider
• I have Norton 360 Version 2.0/3.0/4.0
• I have Norton 360 Version 1.0
• I have a Norton 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011 product
• I have Norton Security Suite or Norton Business Suite
• I have Norton SystemWorks 12.0
• I have a Norton 2005 or 2004 product
• I have a Norton 2003 product
• I have Norton Ghost or Norton Save & Restore
• I have pcAnywhere or WinFax
1. I don't see NIS listed there, think it is this "Norton 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011 product " is the one, is it?
2. Have you personally tried it and it remove the duplicate icon?
1. Good to know it will not cause a functional problem. Yes, I ran Live Update, shutdown, restart many times and still the duplicate icon is showing.
2. If uninstalling NIS2011 completely and reinstalling NIS2011 works, I am tempted to try it, this is a brand new computer, I'm in the midst of setting up software etc so I might as well clean it up. Do you think it is ok for me to uninstall/reinstall or I should leave it as it is?