Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
king9999

Error 3039, 65553

I have uninstalled then downloaded and reinstalled my Norton Internet Security 2012 six times now. Each time NIS works for a while (usually a matter of hours) then the error alert comes on screen, tries an auto fix and refers me to the error 3039,65553 page for another uninstall/download/reinstall. I am going round in circles! Today I tried the Live Chat to get some advice/support. I waited in the queue for two and a half hours without getting a response! I am appalled on two fronts. Firstly, it seems the product I have purchased is not fit for purpose in that it doesn't work for me. Secondly, it is totally unreasonable to expect customers to wait for 2 1/2 hours and still not be "served". If anyone can offer advice on how to solve my installation problem I would much appreciate it. I hope Symantec management see this post.

yank
Kudos: 2,053
Solutions: 470

Re: Error 3039, 65553

Hi king9999,

See the following link:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v64612330_EndUserProfile_en_us?entsrc=red...

If that is what you followed, please do the following:

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of NIS.

Plese remove the copy of NIS you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via (Add/Remove or Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Remvoal Tool and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&product...

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2012 from here:
www.norton.com/nis12

Once installation is complete, open NIS and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data.

Please keep us posted.

Also if you desire to stay on NIS 2012 rather than upgrade to NIS v 20 (2013) please be sure to go into Settings - Computer - Updates and turn off the option for Automatic Download of new version.

Visitor
king9999

Hi Guru

Thanks for your prompt response. To be honest I'm not sure what version of NIS I have. It expires on 20 Oct 2013 but doesnt say in my account what version. I just assumed as I bought it in 2012 that must be the version? Please, how can I find out? Does the version affect the guidance you provided earlier ie do I do something different if it's 2013 version?

yank

Hi king9999,

On the main page of NIS, click on Support and then About on the drop down menu.   That will tell you the version number.

As I asked before,are the instructions you followed the same as what was in my original link?  The reason being that the instuctions there will upgrade you to NIS 2013 (v 20).

The instructions I gave you are to uninstall NIS any whichever NIS you have currently installed and reinstall NIS 2012 (which is not the most current version of NIS).

Please do not do anything until you reply, telling me which version you have installed and which version you desire to use.  If you desire to upgrade to NIS 2013, please tell me if you desire to keep the Local Vault or not as the method of upgrade from NIS 2012 affects that option.

I'll be lookinmg for your answers.

Visitor
king9999

Hi Yank

Unfortunately, I did not see your latest post before I had followed your guidance given in your previous post.

I followed it to the letter and after much prompting NIS to start (there was nothing on the taskbar) I arrived at Error 8506,422. After Norton autofix was unable to rectify I was directed to the solution for Error 8506, 422 which was to Download and run the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool. This I followed and arrived back eventually at a Error 8506,422 screen. In fact I tried this whole process with slight variations 4 times always arriving back at error 8506,422, thereby going round in circles again. Frustrated I then uninstalled NIS in the way you suggested but instead downloaded a version (20.2.1.22) from my Norton Account. This seems to have worked (cross fingers), so far about 4 hours!

I want to have the most upto date version of NIS on my PC. Incidentally, my other PC (Windows 7 laptop) has NIS installed and shows version 20.2.0.19. If this is an earlier version than that on my desktop then can you advise how I upgrade it?

yank

Persistent aren't you king9999?  :smileywink:  I am afraid I would have given up after the second 8506,422 and come back here and asked yank whathe was smoking - or drinking!  :smileyembarrassed:

OK by way of explanation - at least what I believe was happening:

The Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool removes the currently installed product and then installs the most current product available on the server.  However if for some reason the uninstall portionof that removal or a former uinstall of the product was corrupted - this toool would not clean it totally up.  So when you would run it again, you would have the same corruption and the same error would popup.

Now when you ran the Norton Removal Tool (which is used to clear all digital debris out) as well as cleaning up when a corruption occurs either installing or uninstalling a product, it removed whatever was causing your error.  You download from your Norton Account is a perfectly legitimate way to get a frsh downlaod and is also the latest versdion available on the server (probably the same version from the Remove and Reinstall Tool's download - but it worked from the Norton Account because you ran the Norton Removal Tool and cleaned up the uninstall prior to installing it.

I hope that long winded explantion makes sense.

Your Win 7 laptop should be able to be upgraded to 20.2.1.22 by running LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until LiveUpdate responds with "No updates found".  Also you shold do the same on your desktop to be sure you have all the latest updates.  You can have the most current version (20..2.1.22), but still not have all the current updates - there are some updates (some daily) that do not chnage the version number - that's why when you see the "no updates found" you knwo you are up to date!

BTW - did I mention that I am glad you got it sorted?

Visitor
king9999

Hi Yank

Many thanks for your helpful explanations and guidance - much appreciated.

If my latest actions dont keep NIS running in the future then I'll give up and get an alternative product from a different supplier. Dont suppose you could give a recommendation ............!!

Regards