Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
SyberiaWinx

Error 3048 3?

I can't get it to go away.  Should I be concerned?  I mean, it's kind of tiresome to pay all this money for a program that keeps failing me.  From searching, it seems other have recently experienced this same problem, and I think it's connected to LiveUpdate?

I tried rebooting, but the error just popped up again after a while.  I did the thing the the Remove and Reinstall tool, rebooted again, but same problem.  The third time, after reading about the LiveUpdate thing and seeing my computer was not secure due to the red x by the Norton Antivirus icon, I tried two seperate things.  I clicked Fix Now, which resulted in a Quick Scan that found and resolved some low-risk tracking cookies.  I also ran LiveUpdate, and it found and installed nine updates, then prompted me to reboot again.  I did, but the error has popped up yet again.  However, unlike the last time, there is no red x.  The green check is there, and it still says my PC is secure.  Is it?  What's going on with this error?  

dickevans

Re: Error 3048 3?

SyberiaWinx wrote:

I can't get it to go away.  Should I be concerned?  I mean, it's kind of tiresome to pay all this money for a program that keeps failing me.  From searching, it seems other have recently experienced this same problem, and I think it's connected to LiveUpdate?

I tried rebooting, but the error just popped up again after a while.  I did the thing the the Remove and Reinstall tool, rebooted again, but same problem.  The third time, after reading about the LiveUpdate thing and seeing my computer was not secure due to the red x by the Norton Antivirus icon, I tried two seperate things.  I clicked Fix Now, which resulted in a Quick Scan that found and resolved some low-risk tracking cookies.  I also ran LiveUpdate, and it found and installed nine updates, then prompted me to reboot again.  I did, but the error has popped up yet again.  However, unlike the last time, there is no red x.  The green check is there, and it still says my PC is secure.  Is it?  What's going on with this error?  

Welcome,

Which version of what Norton product are you running? Also, what is your operating system and service pack?

The error covers a number of possible problems. I'd recommend that you download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool found here: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN this should give you a clean current copy of your product. To confirm that it is current, run live update and reboot as directed until the program tells you that all of the updates have been downloaded and installed.

We'll be here when you need us

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
SyberiaWinx

That response was...kind of disheartening.  I stated in my first post that I'm using Norton AntiVirus, and I also said I'd already both used the Remove/Reinstall tool and ran LiveUpdate.  The version is 19.7.1.5.  If there's something wrong with that, I'll be pretty mad, since Norton gave it to me to make up for a serious error on their part.  I use Windows XP, but no idea which Service Pack.

Edjr60

SyberiaWinx wrote:

That response was...kind of disheartening.  I stated in my first post that I'm using Norton AntiVirus, and I also said I'd already both used the Remove/Reinstall tool and ran LiveUpdate.  The version is 19.7.1.5.  If there's something wrong with that, I'll be pretty mad, since Norton gave it to me to make up for a serious error on their part.  I use Windows XP, but no idea which Service Pack.

Hello SyberiaWinx,

I'm just going to address Windows XP and your service pack. Chances are 99% that your service pack is SP3. Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you use Windows Update each month on Patch Tuesday's, month after month, year after year, you no doubt have SP3. To confirm this, open Control Panel, then open Add or Remove Programs. Windows XP Service Pack 3 should be in your list of updates from Windows updates. Or open your Start Menu, click Run, then type "winver" without the quotation marks, into the space provided. Next click, OK. In the small window that appears, your service pack will be listed. It should be Service Pack 3.

Hope that helps on the service pack issue.

Ed

Windows XP Home SP3 32bit  *  NIS 2012 (19.7.1.5)  *  Chrome 19.0.1084.46   IE8  *  MBAM Free

yank
Kudos: 2,145
Solutions: 501

Hello SyberiaWinx,

Just for grins doublecheck your system time and date - I am wondering if you are losing time over a period of time when the system is off causing the updates to mess up.

Also, please see my post here in regards to a similar 3048,3 situation.  Specifically the Go There Now link towards the end of that post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Error-3048-3/m-p/683473/highlight/tru...