Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Aivars1234

Error 3048,3

Hello,

For the last couple of weeks, I have been getting notification about Error 3048,3 every couple of days right after I do the first manual LiveUpdate of the day (other subsequent LiveUpdates are fine).  Autofix then fixes an "installation" problem each time.  The problem goes away for a couple of days then reappears again.   Does anybody know why this happens?

I am running Win 7 with NIS 20.3.0.36

If I were to reinstall NIS, how do I get a clean copy without burning up another subscription? 

Thanks.

yank
Kudos: 2,041
Solutions: 467

Re: Error 3048,3

Hi Aviars1234,

Here is the Norton solution .  Please be sure to click on the What if this didn't work? link at the bottom of the pageif this does not fix your situation.

Regular Contributor
Buck115

That error popped up for me a few minutes ago; but that was the first time on this system. I did have a similar error a few months ago on one of my other systems; but according to the report the fix was successful in both cases. I've been using Norton Internet Security ever since it was first offered on the market, but NIS 2013 is the first version that I've experienced anomalies with and it seems a little quirky to me!!!!

NIS 2013 seems to be having a number of unsolved problems with IE10 on Windows 7 systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor
Aivars1234

Hello,

Thanks for your info

I updated the definitions as was recommended but did not observe anything changing.  I do not know if it worked since this error pops up at random...I'll wait and see if it shows up during the next week or so.  If it does, then I will run NPE ( I have heard that this is a last resort option since it can mess up the system).  

From the logs, this error has happened once in January, once in February, then once at the beginning of March, twice at the end of March (within a span of two days) and then today (4 April).

My computer seems to be running as normal so I'm really not sure what is going on....all my on-demand scans with MBAM  and SAS come up clean as well as safe-mode scans with NIS. 

Anybody have any ideas?

yank

Aivars1234 with the random happenings - I have to wonder if by chance your system clock could be either off or losing time?  Is it an older system that the CMOS battery may be going bad on?

Also, in regards to the NPE, it is becoming more acceptable to run it for something more than a last resort - the most important thing is that you do not permit it to delete anything that you are not positive it is safe to delete.  If in doubt, you can come back here and someone will be able to give you some information on the removal.

Regular Contributor
Aivars1234

Hello, thanks for your advice... I ran NPE with the rootkit scan (wasn't as painful or as long as I thought it would be) and the scan came up clean....only had 1 file that was unknown (but I know it is safe)...didn't prompt for any removals or threats.

How would I find if my system clock is having problems?  This is a pretty new computer, only had it a year or so....

I am scratching my head about the randomness of these errors, again, it only happens every several days, right after or during, the first manual LiveUpdate after the computer has been idle say overnight...the autofix fixes an "installation" (although it once had to fix an "internet connection too") then everything works fine till several days later, same thing happens and same autofix....

I try and practice good security habits, scan everything I download with MBAM, SAS and NIS, and I only browse to Norton recommended sites. 

I just want to make sure that NIS is working fine and there is nothing malicious lurking in some dark corner of my computer.

Any more insight will be appreciated.

Contributor
jayemen

Possibly dropouts in your (wireless?) network.

I found this thread helpful:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-20-3-0-36-3048-3/m-p...

I find it ludicrous that Norton manages to break itself like this when applying a LiveUpdate.  I "parked" my laptop for a couple weeks, first running a full scan and then hibernating it.  Turned it back on, Norton did its thing updating definitions/patches in the background, and then barfed with 3048,3 ultimately suggesting I remove/re-install.   Yes, consumer-class software at its finest.

Another anecdote: I had to reboot my laptop a few days ago (required by Windows Update), evidently while LiveUpdate was in the middle of applying an update in the background.  When the system came back up, no Norton systray icon, Firefox couldn't open any URL's, and Norton toolbar had disappeared.  A little investigating showed instCA.exe ("Install Custom Action" child process of ccSvcHost) in a suspended state, which evidently puts ccSvcHost in a waiting state and effectively stops NIS in its tracks.  Waited an hour,  Still suspended.  Tried a reboot,  no change, still suspended.  Searched these forums from another computer.  No hits. Guess what?  Remove and reinstall.

Win7-SP1 Pro x64, WinVista-SP2 Ultimate x64
NIS 21.1.0.18
Contributor
robertjc

I have NIS 19.9.1.14.  I just got this error dialog box the first time this morning, a minute after manual updates.

I found the threads about this error message, but can someone make a general statement about what causes it?

Is it just a glitch in updating?

The official page just says to download the intelligent updater or run power eraser.  It doesn't explain what the error actually is!

Does it happen to some users, just once?

Contributor
robertjc

By the way, it ran some kind of autofix and it says in my history that it was repaired.

But the way these things are, it might happen again, since I don't know what caused it.

yank

robertjc wrote:

I have NIS 19.9.1.14.  I just got this error dialog box the first time this morning, a minute after manual updates.

I found the threads about this error message, but can someone make a general statement about what causes it?

Is it just a glitch in updating?

The official page just says to download the intelligent updater or run power eraser.  It doesn't explain what the error actually is!

Does it happen to some users, just once?

Error 3048,3 falls under the very wide category of "update failed to install".  It is used whenever an update fails - Liveupdate, engine update, any of the definition updates, etc - so what the exact failure in each case is,  is sometimes tough to pinpoint. 

Thus it is hard to say exactly what caused it, as each situation could be a different cause, as each cause under a general error code could be different.

Yes, it does happen to some users just once and others more than once and perhaps that is because no two systems are identical and also sometimes in multiple occurences ti could be the users' system setup - or even possibly a bug in the program.